Adam Campbell released

gbandit

Just out of interest, anyone know how much the likes of Campbell get paid a week?

Given that I don't think he's been tied down to a contract since he borst through probably no more than a few hundred quid a week.

Given that I don't think he's been tied down to a contract since he borst through probably no more than a few hundred quid a week.

I was told a few weeks ago that he was on £4000 a week and 18 year olds who haven't played for the first team are on £1000.

Guest Roger Kint

If It's only a month and he impresses maybe a bigger club will want to take him on?

Exactly, it will be more physical so will do him good to get a few games under his belt, nothing stopping us sending him to a better side later once he adjusts to regular football.

He should be playing in the Championship, really.

Abbott's comments seem to suggest he'll play much and he seems an enthusiastic enough manager who's had his eye on him. Hopefully he'll excel, playing time at a Championship club during latter stages of the season should be his target.

This lad seems to have pace and gets goals at junior/feserve level, but we have had many local players who have done this over the years, but failed to make it.

The likes of David McClean in the late 70s/80s spring to mind...he even had the same ginger hair as Campbell and was raved about as a youngster who played for England Schoolboys, but he had his most successful spell in the game when he was at Darlington and helped them win promotion under Cyril Knowles in 1985.McClean was bigger than Campbell too.

I have a feeling Campbell could go the same way as his size will go against him - you have to be exceptionally good to make it as a small forward, esp a central striker . I hope I am wrong, but there it is and good luck to the lad.

This lad seems to have pace and gets goals at junior/feserve level, but we have had many local players who have done this over the years, but failed to make it.

The likes of David McClean in the 80s spring to mind...he even had the same ginger hair as Campbell and was raved about as a youngster who played for England Under-21s, but he had his most successful spell in the game when he was at Darlington and helped them win promotion under Cyril Knowles in 1985.McClean was bigger than Campbell too.

I have a feeling Campbell could go the same way as his size will go against him - you have to be exceptionally good to make it as a small forward, esp a central striker . I hope I am wrong, but there it is and good luck to the lad.

Chopra is a better more recent example IMO as I think at least he should carve out a decent career but hopefully not piss his earnings up the wall like chops did.

Tbh though I think he'll do better than that even being held back and misused by us for the first 5-6 years of his career.

It'll be a good apprenticeship for him

Not sure it will do him good joining a bottom team in L1. Don't think a relegation fight is good environment to nurture a talent.  St. Mirren would have been a better option for him. 

He played 45 mins yesterday in a 0-4 loss to Conventry.

Guest bimpy474

It'll be a good apprenticeship for him

Not sure it will do him good joining a bottom team in L1. Don't think a relegation fight is good environment to nurture a talent.  St. Mirren would have been a better option for him. 

He played 45 mins yesterday in a 0-4 loss to Conventry.

Well it'll make him see everything isn't just Premiership waited on hand and foot stuff. He'll get to see the harshness of lower league football and players playing for their futures i guess.

• 2 weeks later...