The Royal Family

BlufPurdi

Should we abolish the Monarchy?  

471 members have voted

1. 1. Should we abolish the Monarchy?

• Yes
    • No

I’m not sure anything they do is particularly principled. Their opposition to the royal family is purely personal. They’re not opposed to inherited positions of power or the institution, they just wanted all the benefits without the negativity.

I’m partly influenced by the story of Meghan doing an interview and having her driver pull up next to a homeless person in the middle of it so she could get out and give them a backpack. Plus there’s the trips in private jets to champion environmental causes. It all seems plastic and self-serving to me.

23 hours ago, Darth Crooks said:

My heart sinks every time I see someone pick up that rag. Had to hold my tongue in the shop the other week when some chap said everyone will  just 'have to cope like we always had to' with that tripe tucked under his arm re: living costs. Independently of each other I could ignore but I had to walk out - its not just the royals. The rot about almost everything is horrendous.

I used to work in retail and if I worked a Saturday or Sunday morning you had next to no time to put all the inserts in the papers, as such I’d always leave the Daily Mail until last. This meant that all the people (boomers) who got up at the crack of dawn to get their papers would be left enraged that the Daily Mail wasn’t done or that they would have to pick up the insert (which was located right next to the Daily Mail) themselves.

We had one particular cunt who made it his mission to never be happy, used to literally throw money at you, or not pass his items over, or do things like put his money right on the edge of the till out of my reach, just little petty things. In the end I did the same back to him, except from throwing his change at him, I used to just put it on my edge of the counter so he had to reach over to get it.

One year Christmas fell on a Sunday, and he asked me what time we would be open, I said we wouldn’t, and he asked what about his paper? I said there probably won’t be one. He had to go to my manager and confirm this with him, this time raging that he’s not be able to get his paper.

There was another guy who used to get the Daily Mail every day, me and @Ste would serve him. He’d bemoan about the headline shouting ‘It’s a scandal, a fucking scandal’ every single day, literally going out the shop shouting it, often with racist comments as well.

We tried to cut him some slack because he was a double leg amputee victim who was in a wheelchair, but there was just too many of them about who were normal and would just make crass comments about the people the headlines were having a go at.

On 09/01/2023 at 09:54, Cf said:

If courting it themselves is Meghan being seen in a white dress and the Daily Mail writing an article ridiculing her for it then sure. Can't find the link but see also

image.thumb.png.be1fd7a2baa4b75547aa66d818cd174d.png

image.thumb.png.2e55167ee6950e6a04a80ef22bb5404b.png

image.thumb.png.7f5db3d573aa77ef8b7c3609bd882c92.png

image.thumb.png.108b264faddf99cd9dd2aee3368808f2.png

etc etc etc

The flowers one ffs. :lol:

The whole reason Harry has come out swinging is because the media were already relentless and it always felt to me that the ramping up of that conveniently coincided with a realisation that she was more than a casual relationship and was actually going to desecrate our belovedly inbred Royal gene pool.

I don't remember much of a peep from them for ages in spite of such clear bollocks as above. I've no affinity to either of them but we're a nation of creeps from the media down and it's equal parts hilarious and depressing that the whole reason it even gets the level of coverage it does is to give our frothing patriots an excuse to rant about how 'I thought they didn't want media attention huh?? HUH??? We should just boycott them and not give them any attention after they broke our Dear Queen God Rest Her Soul's heart' without a hint of fucking irony.

Had a bit of a robust debate last night with the Mother in law whilst watching it. She gets the mail everyday and I tell her its poison. She rabbited how awful the Taliban quotes were and I asked her why and she didn't really know why other than the military code says you don't. I said I could get you a dozen films up, novels by people in the SAS and youtube channels just that and she shrugged. She's not a daft woman by any means and the tone of these things is quite interesting and fun but she's indoctrinated by this guff for sure. Fundamentally the other royals just aren't to be subjected to the same scrutiny in her head - despite the future head of state chinning people - there's a built in disconnect.

I'm an ardent republican and I tried to pitch it as that Harry is is pro-monarchy so it's not even really about that but it really is when these people are treated like they can do no wrong. Any other institution maintaining silence like this would be shot with shit and tbh I think there's going to some backlash come the coronation - at which they will try to do just the same as ever. It'll not wash with people - particularly the young. Many will cite the same pomp and ceremony as ever and go along of course.

Overall, I think the big difference and part of why the queen was so popular is because of the media era she came to prominence - 4 or less channels for a large part of her era on TV, fewer Radio stations - no streaming, websites and forums or podcasts. There's no chance Charles controls the narrative the same way. And when people like KSI and even Andrew Tate have a bigger reach than a monarch why would people buy into it? ERII was the TV and Radio revolution/ 20th Century Monarch and the first and last of her kind really. I think the institution will die in the next 2-300 years completely unless they adapt - which in the span of history isn't really a long time. Just over a hundred years ago - people were sent walking into gunfire for King and Country with barely a whimper of meaningful descent. Look where its come since. It will simply have to evolve or die - save for some Handmaid's Tale/Franco's Spain style revolution. 

Edited by Darth Crooks

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

I used to work in retail and if I worked a Saturday or Sunday morning you had next to no time to put all the inserts in the papers, as such I’d always leave the Daily Mail until last. This meant that all the people (boomers) who got up at the crack of dawn to get their papers would be left enraged that the Daily Mail wasn’t done or that they would have to pick up the insert (which was located right next to the Daily Mail) themselves.

We had one particular cunt who made it his mission to never be happy, used to literally throw money at you, or not pass his items over, or do things like put his money right on the edge of the till out of my reach, just little petty things. In the end I did the same back to him, except from throwing his change at him, I used to just put it on my edge of the counter so he had to reach over to get it.

One year Christmas fell on a Sunday, and he asked me what time we would be open, I said we wouldn’t, and he asked what about his paper? I said there probably won’t be one. He had to go to my manager and confirm this with him, this time raging that he’s not be able to get his paper.

There was another guy who used to get the Daily Mail every day, me and @Ste would serve him. He’d bemoan about the headline shouting ‘It’s a scandal, a fucking scandal’ every single day, literally going out the shop shouting it, often with racist comments as well.

We tried to cut him some slack because he was a double leg amputee victim who was in a wheelchair, but there was just too many of them about who were normal and would just make crass comments about the people the headlines were having a go at.

I’d forgot all about that guy, he was so fucking loud man, and he used to back his wheelchair up into the queue instead of going round [emoji38] you were fucked if Jackie was on till 1 taking 45 minutes to weigh an onion and he was next in line. 

38 minutes ago, Ste said:

I’d forgot all about that guy, he was so fucking loud man, and he used to back his wheelchair up into the queue instead of going round [emoji38] you were fucked if Jackie was on till 1 taking 45 minutes to weigh an onion and he was next in line. 

😂😂😂😂😂

Legit were, it was a fucking scandal mate.

1 hour ago, Darth Crooks said:

Any other institution maintaining silence like this would be shot with shit

'It's a dignified silence :snod:'  :icon_puke_r:

I think you're right though; now it's Charles I don't imagine there'll be nearly as much patience as there was for our beloved queenie keeping her trap shut no matter the circumstances. There'll now be a fuck ton more people asking why he's 'not doing anything'. 

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

😂😂😂😂😂

Legit were, it was a fucking scandal mate.

Working fucking bakery and answering till bells cos Jackie couldn’t cope with 3 customers buying papers and cigarettes, and Mitchell in the back fucking around with price changes so you had to tip the delivery as well. Absolute hell. 

I can’t believe my wife has bought the book. I can’t imagine there’s anything more in it than what we’ve watched and heard. I’m ambivalent towards  two but I note he’s copping a lot of flak about his Taliban tally. 

Apart from negative comments by retired and serving Personnel, ids he not exposing himself and his family to greater risk?

4 hours ago, Haz said:

I can’t believe my wife has bought the book. I can’t imagine there’s anything more in it than what we’ve watched and heard. I’m ambivalent towards  two but I note he’s copping a lot of flak about his Taliban tally. 

Apart from negative comments by retired and serving Personnel, ids he not exposing himself and his family to greater risk?

The need for security and the need for a headline to sell the book came into conflict, and the latter won.

You don’t tell the world you killed 25 Taliban if protecting your family is your priority. That said anyone that thinks he’s worse than Andrew shouldn’t be left alone with any kids.

If you actually read what his book says and consider the context, he doesn't say anything particularly controversial.

Edited by Klaus

On 10/01/2023 at 20:49, Stifler said:

By the sounds of it, that bloke is such a cunt that his legs might have had enough and simply fucked off

She came up to and studied at Newcastle University. At the time I was at college with someone who worked in the admissions. Hardly anyone in her class was an actual student, and despite her staying in university dorms, nor was anyone immediately placed close to her.

Those who were real students in her class etc, were largely from significant families.

Night on what, 300 students, half of which were not real students, and the other half carefully picked just so 1 lass who never needs to go university can go to university.