Rule change irks Ferguson

Delima

My sentiments exactly.

Sir Alex Ferguson insists it was wrong to change the rules to allow Gareth Southgate and Glenn Roeder to be Premiership managers.

Both Southgate and Roeder lack the Uefa Pro Licence which is required to boss a top-flight club, but have been given special dispensation to continue by the Premier League board.

Ferguson feels Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd was the instigator in having the rules altered and is unhappy with the situation.

The Manchester United boss comes up against Southgate at Middlesbrough on Saturday and, while insisting it is not personal, he is concerned about the effects of the Premier League's decision.

"The regulations were set out to improve the standard of coaching and the people coming into the game and they should have remained," commented Ferguson.

"The whole thing was changed by Freddy Shepherd when he rounded on the other chairmen to get the rules changed so he could appoint Glenn Roeder.

"I am a committee member of the LMA, I feel the rules were absolutely correct and it was wrong to change them.

"If you want the quality of the game to improve, it has to be done through the coaches.

"It is nothing personal, but the principle was right and the fact both Gareth Southgate and Glenn Roeder are now taking their badges gives you the answer."

Ferguson added: "Once the door was opened by Freddy Shepherd, Middlesbrough were completely correct in giving the job to Gareth Southgate under exactly the same principle as Glenn Roeder got it.

"But Gareth is different from Glenn in the sense he was a player, then the next day he becomes a manager when the job is thrust upon him.

"The door is open now. How you close it I don't know."

I agree with him, to be fair.  In principle, at least.  It's not nice when you're the team having to fight for someone to get appointed, but I never wanted Roeder appointed, so I would've liked it had the rules been kept in place for once.

Yet another touchline bollock dropped with Taylor last night. Get on that course Glenn and learn some sodding basics.

Can't believe people actually had a go at Taylor for it as well.

Sort yourself out Glen you plum.

Guest Bubbles

hypocrite!

doesn't fergie have dispensation until 2010 like Southgate has dispensation until the end of the summer 2 get his badges?

Aye, he does.  But that's because a) he was managing at the time of the rules being introduced, b) was probably the best manager in the country at the time of the rules being introduced, and c) he's simply a brilliant manager.  Something Roeder isn't, and never was, and something I doubt Southgate will be.

Southgate's acceptance is worse than Roeder's, for me, but neither should've been allowed.

He's right. You have blokes apparently who worked their socks off to meet the required level of qualifications in time for the new deadlines... only for two "nobodies" to get appointed at the highest level of football in England :lol:

Yet another touchline bollock dropped with Taylor last night. Get on that course Glenn and learn some sodding basics.

You do realise that Roeder now has his Pro Licence. He did it over the summer.

Guest HGB1892

No he doesn't. It takes twelve months and he started it in the summer. Prick.

:lol: random!

No. He started it before he went down with the brain tumour and he finished it over the summer.

No. He started it before he went down with the brain tumour and he finished it over the summer.

I dont think he did.

He re-applied to take it again (pick up where he left off) and what he needs to do is have from that day 12months in a coaching job (where you have a certain amount of control & effect over the team) Then you have to be assessed for one day including a series of tests, then he'll be fully qualified.

Now i might be wrong, but am sure that's how it happened.

Guest Saint Andy

i guess he really likes pricks.

as for the uefa pl, i'm undecided, ideally i'd like the clubs to appoint the best manager based on ability, rather than qualifications. I also think people are too quick to make the easy condemnation of Roeder, lets see how he does for the rest of the season first.

It wouldn't rankle so much if the miserable scottish cunt had the pro licence himself.

fair enough he has managed the best team in this country (and for a year the world) for the past 20 years and won everything, but he hasn't got a pro licence so by his own logic today shouldn't be allowed to manage either.

Stupid rule really, as the most succesful manager in the country at the present time strictly speaking shouldn't be allowed to manage in the premiership.

It was a bad reflection on the Premiership Chairmen that they made this rule for the good of the game, and then made an exception the minute it suited their own short-term interests - Shepherd wanted to appoint Roeder, and the other Chairmen didn't want him poaching their managers. As a result, as Ferguson says, the whole principle has been blown out of the water.

He's right. You have blokes apparently who worked their socks off to meet the required level of qualifications in time for the new deadlines... only for two "nobodies" to get appointed at the highest level of football in England :lol:

Fergie's right. I remember when there was all the talk of Roeder getting the job full-time, Peter Reid saying he wanted his money back because he paid £2000 or whatever to do the course and get the qualification, and yet there's people still getting jobs in the Premiership without them.

It wouldn't rankle so much if the miserable scottish c*** had the pro licence himself.

fair enough he has managed the best team in this country (and for a year the world) for the past 20 years and won everything, but he hasn't got a pro licence so by his own logic today shouldn't be allowed to manage either.

Stupid rule really, as the most succesful manager in the country at the present time strictly speaking shouldn't be allowed to manage in the premiership.

I agree. O'Neill hasn't got a pro licence either.

HOW QUALIFIED IS THE PREMIERSHIP?

Arsene Wenger (ARS) - Pro Lic

Martin O'Neill (AV) - FA Dip

Mark Hughes (BLA) - Pro Lic

Sam Allardyce (BOL) - Pro Lic

Les Reed (CHA) - Pro Lic

Jose Mourinho (CHE) - Pro Lic

David Moyes (EVE) - Pro Lic

Chris Coleman (FUL) - Pro Lic*

Rafa Benitez (LIV) - Pro Lic

Sir Alex Ferguson (MU) - FA Dip

Stuart Pearce (MC) - Pro Lic

Gareth Southgate (MID) - B Lic*

Glenn Roeder (NEW) - Pro Lic*

Harry Redknapp (POR) - FA Dip

Steve Coppell (REA) - FA Dip

Neil Warnock (SHU) - FA Dip

Martin Jol (TOT) - Pro Lic

Adrian Boothroyd (WAT) - Pro Lic

Alan Pardew (WH) - Pro Lic

Paul Jewell (WIG) - FA Dip#

*denotes currently taking qualification; #denotes taken one-off course to pass diploma

I see Chris Coleman is in the same situation as Roeder but I don't remember him getting a load of grief about it.

Aye, he does. But that's because a) he was managing at the time of the rules being introduced, b) was probably the best manager in the country at the time of the rules being introduced, and c) he's simply a brilliant manager. Something Roeder isn't, and never was, and something I doubt Southgate will be.

Southgate's acceptance is worse than Roeder's, for me, but neither should've been allowed.

Don't forget d) He was part of the manager's panel that drafted the requirements for the Pro License system!!!

I remember reading not long ago that Ferguson's exemption was running out soon and he would need to do the course in order to continue managing - I read this as laying the groundwork to appeal any decision by the FA to enforce that rule...

Even so (and as much as it sticks in the throat) he is right...

Aye, he does. But that's because a) he was managing at the time of the rules being introduced, b) was probably the best manager in the country at the time of the rules being introduced, and c) he's simply a brilliant manager. Something Roeder isn't, and never was, and something I doubt Southgate will be.

Don't forget d) He was part of the manager's panel that drafted the requirements for the Pro License system!!!

I remember reading not long ago that Ferguson's exemption was running out soon and he would need to do the course in order to continue managing - I read this as laying the groundwork to appeal any decision by the FA to enforce that rule...

Even so (and as much as it sticks in the throat) he is right...

Good point. 

And his exemption runs out in 2010, same time as Souness...