Newcastle vs Bordeaux 04/10/2012 @ 20:05 BST - Live On ESPN

Skirge

We've only played one group game man.

And two play offs. Both were dross. It's obvious that we're going to play weakened teams in the EL btw, what do we expect? There are teams in this taking it much more seriously than we are.

Fulham did exactly the same getting to the final. They played shadow teams pretty much upto the last 16, then they went full strength.

Elliot

Santon    Williamson  Coloccini  Ferguson

Anita    Tiote    Cabaye 

Ben Arfa

Cisse        Ba

Quite looking forward to this game like. I've been waiting/hoping to see us play Bordeaux for quite a while now.

:serious:

I have a soft spot for Bordeaux. Lived there for a year and it was one of the best years of my life. Got a lot of time for their football team too.

I'm not confident about this game at all. They've gone seventeen matches undefeated in all competitions. Really, all that has to be said is that they are a talented (certainly better than Reading or Norwich), organised side from a very competitive league, and if we don't come prepared to play/put out a side of young players and reserves they will defeat us. Looking at the match against, Brugge, it seems that they put out a side that was nearly full strength.

The other two sides in the group are quite weak, imo, but we'll make progression hard on ourselves if we don't finish sides at SJP.

I'm not confident about this game at all. They've gone seventeen matches undefeated in all competitions. Really, all that has to be said is that they are a talented (certainly better than Reading or Norwich), organised side from a very competitive league, and if we don't come prepared to play/put out a side of young players and reserves they will defeat us. Looking at the match against, Brugge, it seems that they put out a side that was nearly full strength.

The other two sides in the group are quite weak, imo, but we'll make progression hard on ourselves if we don't finish sides at SJP.

How strong a side do you think we'll need to play to have a chance of getting something?  First choice lineup?

Guest ItalianMagpie

There's no way on earth Pardew is gonna field a full strenght squad for this with Man United game scheduled for next Sunday.

Considering the respective forms and the bunch of youngsters we're gonna see in black and white on Thursday, I'd be happy with a draw.

Guest SweMatt

I'd like to see Ferguson from start - he has deserved that.

Let's hope that Bordeaux is not fielding their strongest XI... :)

Highlights from their win at Lyon (Official video):

Seems like Carasso was in good form and the result might not tell the whole story given the stats at the end. Still will be a tough game.

The Ligue 1 official youtube channel is going to greatly increase my enjoyment of this season. Freely available video of every major goal/incident at my fingertips. Well, that along with the inevitable return of OM to the summit in May, and the continued failures of Qatari FC. :snod:

Guest BooBoo

With Man Utd on Sunday, there's not a chance in hell we'll see a first XI. Lets please try and avoid the outrage when the team is announced which I think will be similar to what we put at in the League Cup.

Since when can footballers not play twice in a week? I know that its not something that can be sustained week after week throughout the season, and three games a week is maybe too much for some, but seriously players have gone soft if they can't manage the odd midweek game on top of the regular weekend ones. Full strength for both games this week for me, especially as they are at home.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/10/01/shane-ferguson-pushing-for-big-game-spot-61634-31938850/#ixzz282Fwh8LG

Meanwhile, defender Mike Williamson says the team have already been told a strong line-up will be put out in two critical games. “It’s going to be a tough game (against Bordeaux) because they’ve started really strongly in the group,” he said.

“The gaffer’s already said that he’s looking to play a strong team, and then it’s Man United after that so it doesn’t really get any easier.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/10/01/shane-ferguson-pushing-for-big-game-spot-61634-31938850/#ixzz282Fwh8LG

Meanwhile, defender Mike Williamson says the team have already been told a strong line-up will be put out in two critical games. “It’s going to be a tough game (against Bordeaux) because they’ve started really strongly in the group,” he said.

“The gaffer’s already said that he’s looking to play a strong team, and then it’s Man United after that so it doesn’t really get any easier.

Pardew says it's a strong team regardless of what side is out there as he's always hyping up the not-so-goods so I'll just wait and see I reckon.

Finally got round to booking my tickets for this today, absolutely loads of seats left in the Gallowgate. Hopefully it picks up a bit this week as we get closer to the game.

Wouldn't mind us playing a similar system to Bordeaux (3-5-2) actually long term. You can see in the highlights how influential Tremoulinas was as a LWB and would like to see Fergie given a chance in that position