Newcastle vs Bordeaux 04/10/2012 @ 20:05 BST - Live On ESPN

Skirge

Wouldn't mind us playing a similar system to Bordeaux (3-5-2) actually long term. You can see in the highlights how influential Tremoulinas was as a LWB and would like to see Fergie given a chance in that position

I think the last couple of times we've tried to go like for like and play 5 at the back we've got possed. Stoke away season before last and Wigan last year.

Wouldn't mind us playing a similar system to Bordeaux (3-5-2) actually long term. You can see in the highlights how influential Tremoulinas was as a LWB and would like to see Fergie given a chance in that position

I think the last couple of times we've tried to go like for like and play 5 at the back we've got possed. Stoke away season before last and Wigan last year.

We also have just the three senior CBs, so an injury to one of them, and that system is out the window really.

Guest WashyGeordie

This will be a tough game, they've also adopted the opposite approach to us.  They are focusing on the Europa League ahead of Ligue 1.

Yet they beat Lyon away 0-2. Yikes!

Bordeaux are back in Europe for the first time since reaching the Champions League quarter-finals in 2009-10, and Gillot has made the Europa League a priority this season.

"We can't put the same level of effort into the league and Europe. It's impossible to play on a Thursday and then again on a Sunday afternoon," Gillot said after watching his side squander the lead in the 2-2 draw against Ajaccio that followed a 4-0 European win against Club Brugge. "Physically, it's not possible. That is why we're choosing to put all our efforts into Europe, so we can expect to drop points in the league in the coming weeks."

How do you see that shaking out formation-wise?

Guest BooBoo

Historically we've been strong at the Arena in this competition but that's usually because the opposition are poor-average sides. Bordeaux look a strong side and unless we go toe and toe and play an experienced team, then I fear our kids will get a lesson.

Quite simply the opposition are too strong to entrust the likes of Gosling, Obertan and Marveaux in this one.

Guest Geordiesned

Bordeaux journalist on Twitter reckons they'll only change one or two players from their strongest line up. The right back and possibly one of the strikers.

Really hope we take this more seriously or else Pardew's words after signing his 8 year contract about possibly winning a cup this season will be very hollow.

Guest BooBoo

I just hope the plan is to scrape through the group with the shadow squad and then up the ante. My concern is that the side we've put out so far have made a complete meal of getting past the Greeks and then huffing and puffing to a point in Maritimo. If its a similar side on Thursday they are going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat. The problem is, the Europa side has no experience if playing together as a side, so even ability aside, it's a big ask for the side to gel and produce.

After this group is it straight into a knock out or is it, ridiculously, another group of four?