Ba and Cissé

Crumpy Gunt

Anyone else concerned they look no nearer to looking like a decent partnership up to now? Will they ever?

I doubt they will. Both excellent players without a doubt. But the problem as I see it is they don't look likley to complement each other. They both chase the same ball in the box, one doesn't go near post while the other far ...

They scored plenty last season without getting in each others way. Ba was excellent when Cisse wasn't here and vice versa when Ba played out left.

I think we'd do well with either playing up top alone and the other on the bench. I'd give it to Ba at the moment.

Just a thought...

Its a bit early to write off their chances of forming a partnership this early. If the movement all round was better, and they could work on making the opposite runs instead of the same, it would work. Give it time I say.

It'll take time, maybe even a season, but I'm sure there's a way.

I'm not sure Pardew knows what to do about it, though. I'm not aware of the drills they do in training but he seems to just be sticking them upfront together and hoping they click every week. The solution could be a redeployed Ben Arfa but it could make us a bit narrow.

If Pardew wants to play 4-3-3 and play both then why does he put Cisse right and Hatem left? Ben Arfa has been great when cutting in from right and Simmo or Santon an overlap. Cisse is good at lurking around area and making himself a bit of space so he should attack far post. Ba centre. But we really need a left winger who can cross and has pace.

If Pardew wants to play 4-3-3 and play both then why does he put Cisse right and Hatem left? Ben Arfa has been great when cutting in from right and Simmo or Santon an overlap. Cisse is good at lurking around area and making himself a bit of space so he should attack far post. Ba centre. But we really need a left winger who can cross and has pace.

IMO Cisse is a deadly finisher but doesn't offer a huge amount more.

The 4-3-3 with Ba left and Ben Arfa right was working last season. I don't see, other than Ba's grumbles, why we aren't still doing it? It was fucking great.

Of course that would be the perfect formation but I thought it was impossible because of Ba's attitude. Anyway the 4-3-3 without one of them is a bit of counter attackin formation, because if Cabaye plays behind the striker, like he should, there is very little strenght in the box.

There's no sign of improvement, and I can't see that changing.

I don't go for the idea that the partnership would be okay if there was more movement around them, and the rest of the side were setting up more chances. In modern football, the strikers themselves - or at least one of them - has to be showing good movement and setting up chances for his team-mates.

The idea that the strikers are there to take advantage of what's happening in other areas of the side feels old-fashioned, and rather misses the point. Yes, any player would look better if surrounded by better team-mates. The question is, given the resources we've got, is Ba and Cisse the best option.

IMO Cisse is a deadly finisher but doesn't offer a huge amount more.

The 4-3-3 with Ba left and Ben Arfa right was working last season. I don't see, other than Ba's grumbles, why we aren't still doing it? It was fucking great.

:thup: A lot of people appear to have it in their heads that we won't function as a team if they're both on pitch. That's true if we're just constantly trying to lump it up at two players who are much better when we actually try to play quality football. But if we actually play to our players' strengths, while it seems they won't share goalscoring duties at any one time, at least one of them will be in good enough form to be grabbing the goals while the other provides. Ba's grumbles or not, it's not like he was a shambles of a player while he wasn't the main man last season.

Already got one. With 3 assists in 3 games before our implosion vs Man Utd.

Of course that would be the perfect formation but I thought it was impossible because of Ba's attitude. Anyway the 4-3-3 without one of them is a bit of counter attackin formation, because if Cabaye plays behind the striker, like he should, there is very little strenght in the box.

Well fuck him then. If he's not prepared to adapt for the good of the team then he shouldn't be here. Pandering to his demands to the detriment of the team is quite simply shit management.

If he wants to go in January then let him go somewhere where he can dictate exactly where and when he plays. Until then Pardew needs to grow some bollocks and do what's best for Newcastle United.

Already got one. With 3 assists in 3 games before our implosion vs Man Utd.

Absolutely. While it'd maybe be a lot of pressure on the lad, he's done a good job, plenty of pace and has a cracking final ball.

Well fuck him then. If he's not prepared to adapt for the good of the team then he shouldn't be here. Pandering to his demands to the detriment of the team is quite simply shit management.

If he wants to go in January then let him go somewhere where he can dictate exactly where and when he plays. Until then Pardew needs to grow some bollocks and do what's best for Newcastle United.

:lol:

They dont look like they want to become a partnership. Maybe its because I'm up in Level 7 but rarley do I see them talking to each other, making runs of each, anicipating the other etc. Seems as thought they both want be the main man.

I think they can work if we are able to control games more and create more chances.

The problem for me atm is we cannot control games of football and are hoofing it to Ba or Cisse who neither seem capable of making the ball stick.

Play 3 in the middle, Hatem in behind and start passing the bloody ball on the ground and i don't see no reason why it wouldn't work to an acceptable standard.

I've always said they're identical players, in the sense that they're at their best when playing in the poacher role. No tactic can accommodate two poachers. I wouldn't play them together, unless we're playing against poor opposition. Ba should get the nod over Cisse, as things stand.

They dont look like they want to become a partnership. Maybe its because I'm up in Level 7 but rarley do I see them talking to each other, making runs of each, anicipating the other etc. Seems as thought they both want be the main man.

Agreed. They don't seem to believe in it themselves.

I've always said they're identical players, in the sense that they're at their best when playing in the poacher role. No tactic can accommodate two poachers. I wouldn't play them together, unless we're playing against poor opposition. Ba should get the nod over Cisse, as things stand.

This. Ba is much more intelligent footballer and is making runs in behind etc. Cisse is so static or times his runs horribly and goes offside. They really should make some sort of progress in forming the partnership. Other one comes towards the ball, other makes runs behind the fullback or something. They really arent creating anything with combinations either.

Not worried at all.. both are mobile intelligent strikers both speak the same lingo both can play and score goals together, I would be more worried about the lack of ability we have to find a system/style of play to suit both.

Playing one out wide and one central does not work IMO but if we played a 4-3-1-2 with Benny as the 1 & Ba & Cisse as the 2 then we could really see them gel.