USB issues

BlueStar

OK, ever since I used some crappy Chinese cables on this PC (ones which I now realise were responsible for knocking out all USB ports on a different machine, that only finally came back to life after being shut off for an hour) I keep having assorted USB problems with my desktop machine.  Plugging in my phone or my lasses Kindle seems to send other USB devices crackers - for instance my printer and wi-fi dongle will stop working.  If I try and copy a file to a USB stick, it'll get part of the way there, slow down, stop (at this point things like firefox will stop responding) and then if I leave it five minutes it'll say the transfer has failed because the USB device is no longer located on the system.  I can quick format USB sticks, but if I try a full format it freezes half way through and then gives an error.  Any idea what these dodgy cables have done to my ports and how I can fix them?

Edit: OK, seems I have more luck copying files on the front ports when my printer isn't plugged in one of the back ports  ???

I once had an instance where a shitty usb cable had folded over one of the connectors in the port (if you look in the port you can the brass terminals) causing it to short out the USB ports causing a whole load of fuckery.

Try looking for damage to the USB ports.