Boycotts

James

what products do people boycott? can you make an argument as to why everyone else can be boycotted?

i have two recent brands i am no boycotting.

Nike - i don't know how well this is being reported in the UK but it has come out from court papers in the US that Nike paid a half million pound bribe to cover up drug taking by Lance Armstrong to protect their image. i don't want to be associated with a company that chooses corruption and cheating over good sporting values.

Starbucks - dodging tax in the UK. paid 8m in 14 years. in comparison, Costa pay 15m a year.

what products do people boycott? can you make an argument as to why everyone else can be boycotted?

Nike - i don't know how well this is being reported in the UK but it has come out from court papers in the US that Nike paid a half million pound bribe to cover up drug taking by Lance Armstrong to protect their image. i don't want to be associated with a company that chooses corruption and cheating over good sporting values.

Starbucks - dodging tax in the UK. paid 8m in 14 years. in comparison, Costa pay 15m a year.

Starbucks were mentioned on Newsnight last night, apparently they told the taxman they made a loss but then in the same year told shareholders they made a 15% increase in profits.

If you're going to boycott companies for smart tax planning, you're going to end up boycotting a lot of companies. They are operating within the law. If you have a problem with the law, get on the backs of tax legislators.

Starbucks were mentioned on Newsnight last night, apparently they told the taxman they made a loss but then in the same year told shareholders they made a 15% increase in profits.

How did they think they were going to get away with that ffs? :lol:

How did they think they were going to get away with that ffs? :lol:

Well, they have gotten away with it tbh. They've mitigated their tax bill, and any investor worth their salt (the only kind Starbucks cares about) knows they're profitable.

If you're going to boycott companies for smart tax planning, you're going to end up boycotting a lot of companies. They are operating within the law. If you have a problem with the law, get on the backs of tax legislators.

And those tax legislators are all altruistic and totally wouldn't mind introducing more stringent tax legislation that reduces the profits of organisations that fund both their political life through donations or their personal life through investments* and/or post-public life careers...

I am abundantly aware that politicians are required to divest themselves of certain types of stocks, bonds and shares. I am equally aware that these politicians hire lawyers in the same way these companies hire accountants - to keep them marginally within the rules.

Guest icemanblue

Nike has just terminated their sponsorship with Armstrong.

Fuck the sweatshops, it's the sponsoring of a drug cheat that James can't accept. :lol:

If it's known though, surely it's capable of coming back to bite them in the ass in some form? ???

Only in terms of public relations, but even then, not really. Loads of companies have had similar press released about them. It's nothing novel, and has no tangible effect save for the likes of James (who may as well have chosen a company from the FTSE 250 playing ip-a-dip-a-doo) boycotting one of them based on the piece of press he happened to be exposed to this week. Doubt it'll make a dent in their bottom line :laugh:

Fair do's. :thup: Figured it was a dodgy form of tax dodging which they could've been punished for if found out, I don't keep up on that sort of stuff really.

I don't get the boycotting of things in general. With Beren there. Delve deep enough and you'll find unsavoury things about most companies. I'm not going to boycott one brand just because it's been made more widely known than other similar instances.

:yao:

Own (minute amounts of) stock in both of the OP companies.

Personally, I don't boycoutt any companies. Every time I have attempted to avoid a certain company's products, I end up forgetting and buying them anyway. Years ago I tried the Nestlé boycoutt like most good students, but I just couldn't cut Blue Ribands out of my life.

You don't support an openly anti gay rights fried chicken vendor? What's wrong with you? I considered the same boycott, but I really wanted fried chicken one day...

Also, you spelled it perfectly. And you knew you did :shifty:

I don't think I care enough about anything to boycott a company. I probably would shop in Sports Direct (and have done in the past) if the nearest one wasn't the worst organised jumble sale around.

I don't think I care enough about anything to boycott a company. I probably would shop in Sports Direct (and have done in the past) if the nearest one wasn't the worst organised jumble sale around.

This, pretty much. I'm generally apathetic (or just pathetic).