Bring back the death penalty?

Dave

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reason I ask is that I've just had a massive discussion/disagreement about it at work. Everyone here thinks it should be brought back.

Doesn't give you the right to organise a total gang up on the person who doesn't think it should.

Reason I ask is that I've just had a massive discussion/disagreement about it at work. Everyone here thinks it should be brought back.

Doesn't give you the right to organise a total gang up on the person who doesn't think it should.

Nah I had my say fair and square. I didn't change any opinions though. :lol:

No, not at all.  I dont care what crime someone has commited, I dont think we should be state executing people for crimes.

I just wouldn't be comfortable with it, I also think we have moved on as a culture and society.

Is there a correlation between age and the desire to bring it back? I'm comfortably the youngest here atm; these are all 40+.

Other thing they've said is that my opinion will change when I have kids.

There has to be some evidence that it actually makes a difference in respect of crime rates.

If you have nothing to live for, what difference to death make?

Alot of murders are commited in the heat of the moment, in the heat of the moment I dont think someone will ponder the death penalty while swinging with a knife in defense or attack.

FWIW the core of the argument seemed to restrict it to child molesters/killers only. Repeat offenders, and where it can be proven beyond all doubt. I argued this couldn't ever be the case, and that a theoretical line of 'killed one kid: prison time, killed two kids: death' was ludicrous. Also I questioned who would decide where the line was.

Someone then came in and said they'd have it for murder too, which kind of proved my point. :lol:

Personally in my opinion I don't see how you can say killing is wrong then kill another and it makes us barbarian.

Also I don't know how you can say it is a form of justice when clearly it's revenge driven.

If someone commited an extremely heinous crime and got the death penalty as a result I wouldn't have an ounce of sympathy and would say fair enough an eye for an eye.  It would come with a lot of complications though and potentially be disastrous on occasions.

The sensible option would just be for the UK Judicial system to wise up and start giving much harder sentences to rapists/murderers and any other degenerate scumbag as it's currently a joke.  None of this if you behave you can get out in half the time shit.  If you get an 8 year sentence for a crime you do the 8.  If you get life it should mean life with no chance of ever being released.  You die in jail.

Personally in my opinion I don't see how you can say killing is wrong then kill another and it makes us barbarian.

Also I don't know how you can say it is a form of justice when clearly it's revenge driven.

The response to that was that it would stop anyone else being hurt. The response to prison doing this was that prison costs a lot more, which I questioned.

They came out with all the standard Daily Mail bullshit - prisons are like holiday camps, sentences are far too short, something 'needs' to be done, it says X/Y/Z in the bible so it's clearly okay* etc etc. Was banging my head against the wall. :laugh:

*As I understand it none of them are religious in the slightest.

The response to that was that it would stop anyone else being hurt. The response to prison doing this was that prison costs a lot more, which I questioned.

They came out with all the standard Daily Mail bullshit - prisons are like holiday camps, sentences are far too short, it says X/Y/Z in the bible so it's clearly okay* etc etc. Was banging my head against the wall. :laugh:

Love it - "prison is like a holiday camp"

I bet they wouldn't want to spend one day in prison, I know I wouldn't.

They came out with all the standard Daily Mail bullshit - prisons are like holiday camps, sentences are far too short, it says X/Y/Z in the bible so it's clearly okay* etc etc. Was banging my head against the wall. :laugh:

Love it - "prison is like a holiday camp"

I bet they wouldn't want to spend one day in prison, I know I wouldn't.

Exactly. The punishment is meant to be having your liberty taken away. If Playstations and TVs make prisoners easier to handle because their tiny brains are occupied by flashing lights and sounds then so be it.