The Thick Of It

Ishmael

What a fantastic end to The Thick of It. Stewart Pearson's closing line was perfect:

"You know, I've spent ten years detoxifying this party. It's been a bit like renovating an old, old house, yeah? You can take out a sexist beam here, a callous window there, replace the odd homophobic roof tile, but after a while you realise this renovation is doomed because the foundations are built upon what I can only describe as a solid bed of cunts."

:lol:

It's the best thing I think I've ever seen on telly, not that I'm a telly watcher particularly.  Worth the investment in the box set, it's timeless stuff.

Never managed to catch this...even though I've never heard a bad word about it.

I'm not a big TV person but I feel I missed out on a cracking series.

Don't fancy it at all. Only clip I've seen is some Scottish man shouting cunt all the time, which I didn't find funny in the slightest. :dontknow:

Never managed to catch this...even though I've never heard a bad word about it.

I'm not a big TV person but I feel I missed out on a cracking series.

Don't fancy it at all. Only clip I've seen is some Scottish man shouting cunt all the time, which I didn't find funny in the slightest. :dontknow:

You've managed it before when you met Bluf. :dontknow:

The context of the angry Scot is essential to understand and, as I say, needs an appreciation of the way the likes of Alistair Campbell and the like used to operate (although I read that or heard on Radio 4 that the Tucker character was based on a Hollywood theatrical agent whose name escapes me).

The context of the angry Scot is essential to understand and, as I say, needs an appreciation of the way the likes of Alistair Campbell and the like used to operate (although I read that or heard on Radio 4 that the Tucker character was based on a Hollywood theatrical agent whose name escapes me).

For the first series it was, then he met Campbell and took on more of his mannerisms.

It's probably been the best thing on British telly for the past decade.

Just briefly watched some more clips and it's the same thing in each; depressing characters swearing every other word. Okay I don't know the context, but again it just doesn't seem amusing to me. Same as that quote GM posted up. Might give it a proper try one day I guess.

PS: I work on building sites, before anyone accuses me of being oversensitive about the swearing. :lol:

One thing you have to do is approach it more as a comedy drama than a sitcom. Don't expect belly laughs all the way through, but know that it will deliver the goods sooner or later. It's also not everyone's taste. Bit like I never got into the Mighty Boosh or League of Gentlemen etc. If it's not for you, it's not for you. No biggie. :thup:

Just briefly watched some more clips and it's the same thing in each; depressing characters swearing every other word. Okay I don't know the context, but again it just doesn't seem amusing to me. Same as that quote GM posted up. Might give it a proper try one day I guess.

This is how I see it, and have watched a few episodes and the film. It's like some sixth formers tried to write a political satire, but could only keep it entertaining with excessive swearing.

I just can't conceive of anyone with the slightest interest in political satire not being able to see the brilliance behind the swearing, but..

If it's not for you, it's not for you. No biggie. :thup:

Tantamount to claiming that the theory of relativity is the inaccurate scrawling of a special needs child.

Startling that people fail to grasp the context of the show.  I bet they consider House just another medical drama?

Perfect finish last night, really enjoyed it.

Second series was probably my favourite overall. Have started watching Veep too, is promising so far but yet to hit the same heights as the Thick of it, might be a "lost in translation" thing though.

At least watch In the Loop, it's what got me hooked on this and excited for Veep in states. It's probably better than anything Thick of It episode I've seen so far.

:thup:

In The Loop is a nice 'in' for anyone not sure on the show.

PS: I work on building sites, before anyone accuses me of being oversensitive about the swearing. :lol:

Honestly, get it watched.  It's really one of the best, and it's all the better, now, having watched it from the first episode. 

Tucker is obviously the main player in the whole thing, but the rest of it is subtly hilarious.  I think originally it was always meant to be a pure pisstake on Government, but the more and more stuff that got leaked and the more you hear about some of the stupid shit that happens, you start to realise it's probably not far off a true representation of day-to-day running of a government department. 

The most recent 'real life' gaffe I can think of that would have been right at home with the show was the "gerry cans of petrol" hysteria by Francis Maude.

That's why the swearing is so good, because it's just explosive, coherent rage spewing at the idiotic fools he has to deal with.

Watching from the very start, where Tucker disposes of the first minister, is highly recommended.  As a whole, I felt that this last series was more about tying up a plot and less about laughs but it was still brilliant, just in a slightly different way.

Watching from the very start, where Tucker disposes of the first minister, is highly recommended.  As a whole, I felt that this last series was more about tying up a plot and less about laughs but it was still brilliant, just in a slightly different way.

:nods: