Mobile phone networks

Dave

Anyone using giffgaff? Thinking of going onto their revised £10/month tariff which is 250mins, unlimited texts and 1GB internet with tethering allowed. Runs on O2. Are they any good?

Fed up of Talkmobile, I'm not on a bad deal now but it runs via Vodafone and inexplicably their coverage seems to be wank.

Yes, I've had no problems at all. Coverage is o2 so when you get H its rapid, though most of Northumberland is EDGE even though they claim to have started using 3G on the 900Mh band... But yea I'm on that tariff, might go on to the £12 one for unlimited data but 1GB should be enough for me1

Aye the only thing putting me off the unlimited deal is they specifically say tethering isn't allowed. I do this a lot, and though I'm unconvinced they'd know you were doing it I wouldn't want to get my speeds restricted or whatever if somehow they found out.

Cool, I'll do that thanks. :thup:

Am I right in thinking you can set it up like a normal monthly contract these days? Previously it was just like PAYG if I remember right, where you had to top up.

You buy goodybags which give you a 30 day allowance. So the £10 deal you mentioned is a goodybag, which you can set to recur automatically though you can cancel at any time. I've got mine set up so it pays for the goodybag out of my airtime (PAYG) balance then once it gets below £3 it autotops up £10 so I'm always covered.

This shows you the current goodybags, though after November 6 the £10 changes to 1GB and unlimited net is now from £12 bag. - http://giffgaff.com/goodybags

I have that there for picture messages as they're not included and its easier than paying for the goodbag each month with my card. There is probably a way to do it but I've had that set up for a year before the recurring goodybags came in. You can simply use the gooybag and have no PAYG balance of course but I have it there for sending picture messages or if I go over my 250 min allowance (and with new 1gb limit if I go over that).

I think they can tell you're tethering like, I've told people on 3 Unlimited about tethering then when they've tried to tether to an iPad, a message comes up almost straight away saying they'll get charged extra if they carry on.

I think they can tell you're tethering like, I've told people on 3 Unlimited about tethering then when they've tried to tether to an iPad, a message comes up almost straight away saying they'll get charged extra if they carry on.

Slightly different on Apple devices I think, for example the operators can directly control what options are available to you in the settings believe it or not.

I have that there for picture messages as they're not included and its easier than paying for the goodbag each month with my card. There is probably a way to do it but I've had that set up for a year before the recurring goodybags came in. You can simply use the gooybag and have no PAYG balance of course but I have it there for sending picture messages or if I go over my 250 min allowance (and with new 1gb limit if I go over that).

Cheers, making sense now. :thup:

So that free £5 above, that would go onto my account as airtime to pay for anything that's not included in my monthly goodybag?

Cheers, making sense now. :thup:

So that free £5 above, that would go onto my account as airtime to pay for anything that's not included in my monthly goodybag?

You can use it for airtime payg if you want, or you can put it towards a goodybag as you can pay for them using the airtime balance, so top up some more cash (min is £10 I think) then buy the bags out of the airtime balance. Virgin might be ok, just depends what the crack is with cancelling etc, I like Giffgaff as its pretty flexible and I can change how much allowance I want every month without issue.

Virgin Media is one of the smaller players in the UK mobile space, but that hasn't stopped it from seeking to compete in an increasingly data-focused market.

Today the company has started offering unlimited data on its pre-paid (Pay As You Go) deals, offering unmetered mobile data. The new "Big Data & Texts" package gives users 300 texts and unlimited data when the top up £10, or unlimited texts and data for £15. On both deals, calls are deducted from the amount topped-up.

There are also "Big Talk" offers available with more call-focused bundles, however

Virgin Media runs on the EE (T-Mobile + Orange) 3G network in the UK, meaning you shouldn't have to worry about coverage

http://www.androidcentral.com/virgin-media-offers-10-pre-paid-unlimited-data-deal-uk

Guest neesy111

I've got a year left on my current contract with 3, think I'll sell my 4S get the Nexus 4 and then when contract is over go to Giffgaff on one of there Goody Bags.

300 texts is shit, i use texts more than I use data. GG is pretty good, the 3g coverage is O2 so its a bit random where you get it but if you're in any major town or city you're generally good.

Virgin Media is one of the smaller players in the UK mobile space, but that hasn't stopped it from seeking to compete in an increasingly data-focused market.

Today the company has started offering unlimited data on its pre-paid (Pay As You Go) deals, offering unmetered mobile data. The new "Big Data & Texts" package gives users 300 texts and unlimited data when the top up £10, or unlimited texts and data for £15. On both deals, calls are deducted from the amount topped-up.

There are also "Big Talk" offers available with more call-focused bundles, however

Virgin Media runs on the EE (T-Mobile + Orange) 3G network in the UK, meaning you shouldn't have to worry about coverage

http://www.androidcentral.com/virgin-media-offers-10-pre-paid-unlimited-data-deal-uk

That would be worth a look if the calls weren't 26p/min. Meaning your tenner buys 38mins. :lol: