Newcastle United v West Ham United - 11/11/12 @ 3pm

EthiGeordie

West Ham have been comfortably bettered by two teams away from home this year - Wigan and Swansea.

Is there confirmation on Simpson being out?

Nolan, Carroll and Allardyce will all want to do well, I can see West Ham being up for it.

I was referring to how Wigan and Swansea play, and how that allowed them to expose West Ham's weaknesses in midfield. I do think we'll struggle, tho.

Mixed feelings about West Ham.  They've got Nolan, who I like, and Allardyce who I can't stand.  Their fans were generally good lads when I lived in London but their owners are tossers.  They've got Andy Carroll who's a geordie and a canny lad but then they've got Andy Carroll who's a money grabbing Judas bastard.  Hard to work out if I like them or not.

Anyway, I think he'll go 4-4-2 for this one again.  In theory we should have enough to see them off but our CBs are going to have a tough game and both teams midfields might as well bring a blanket and a picnic, maybe take the wives and kids with them for some quality time while they're free for 90 minutes.

Going to call by the stadium tomorrow afternoon to check the ticket situation, might well go to this.

Got a couple of West Ham mates up for this, which pubs are away fan friendly? To be fair it's hardly like they're going to be throwing their weight around and I'm not even sure if they're wearing colours.

Krul

Santon  Saylor Willo  Ferguson

Anita  Tiote

HBA  Cabaye Sammy

Ba 

Really not sure about Sammy but not sure who else at this point, Cisse isn't playing well enough to get in nor is Jonas, I'd have Bigi but not sure he'll start having played so much of today, and think bit early to be thrown in deep end. best chance is not to get caught in a war of tackles with an allardyce side but better off trying to dominate the midfield.

4-4-2 here we come

krul

simpson  williamson  saylor  santon 

cabaye  anita    jonas

ben arfa/ba/cisse

the front 3 to play off each other, no 'one' at the point, to look and see wheres best based on the position of others, be impossible to mark and the players mentioned have the ball skills to be able to carry it off......have they the brains ?

Krul

Simpson      Saylor        Willo      Santon

Anita        Jonas

HBA                      Cabaye          Ferguson

Cisse

With two of the league's prominent long-ball merchants (managers) on the touchline i haven't looked forward to this one for a while now. That's strictly from an aesthetics point of view.

From a team perspective the tempo we've adopted, at least in the league, plays right into Fat c***'s Sam's hands. More importantly for Nolan too, as he won't be expending a terrible amount of energy chasing shadows, particularly on the break. Nolan should have the reserves needed to crash the box deep into the second half, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him nip in with a late goal.

This is the sort of game that could demotivate & frustrate HBA even more. In recent weeks he's drifted in & out of games, and is beginning to look frustrated. I think this is down to compact, no-thrills tactics in attack - there's rarely any movement offered outside our own defensive third. The team isn't creating space, and ultimately he's forced to dribble & create from too deep an attacking position, while attracting the attention of sometimes three opposition players.

I would've felt comfortable with the combination of Taylor & Collo dealing with the Carroll's aerial threat in open play. A physical one-on-one battle has always been Taylor's bread & butter, and Collo has massively improved in this area of the game. Nowadays it takes a striker/forward with guile, and an attacking (defender beating, on the turn) 1st touch to beat him. Suarez was the first striker to own him hands down, in a long time.

Imho Willo punches below his 6'4 frame aerially, and with him moving into the line-up they'll direct the vast majority of their long-balls through Willo's channel. They'll try and isolate him as often as possible, and wear him down with a constant & physical one-on-one duel with Carroll.

I think it might take a couple of goals to get something out of this one.

Good summing up above there, that's pretty bang on. Ben Arfa seems to operate better as part of a front 3 in that little pocket to the right. In a 4-4-2 he's just looked far too isolated and ends up attacking from too deep as mentioned above. If we get the formation right and start well their defence is there to be attacked. Lets respect the likes of Nolan's knack for scoring ofcourse but at home we should really be able to run them al over with Cabaye/HBA/Ba etc. I agree I can see them scoring so we'll probably have to bag a couple of goals.

Nicely put Tyson. Would not be suprised if we lost this. Although I think the atmosphere with Carroll and fat Sam in town should be a good one, hence get us over the line.

Almost certain Nolan will score. I don't mind if its a very late consolation. Whole ground will probably cheer :)

Guest hydeous

I actually expect us to go with a 5 man midfield for this one. Don't think we'll see too much long ball (from us, anyway)

Just a hunch, really not sure how to read Pardew nowadays. Anyway, 2 - 0 to us. Early goal in the first half, defend deep, good counter-attacking move in the second to kill the game.

Looking forward to this one. I truly believe this is where we start to climb up the table to where we should be at the end of the season.

Guest hydeous

Also, not worried about Carroll at all. Williamson has been doing very well recently and he should have the better of Carroll all game.