Crime commissioner vote thing

Dave

Anyone know a fucking thing about this? Apparently it's on Thursday. I haven't seen a thing about any of the candidates in my area and their apparent ideas, and apart from the polling cards all I've really been made aware of are those stupid adverts.

Turnout will surely be laughably low.

Don't know a lot about it but I was surprised that both our candidates are affiliated with a political party, should be independent of politics IMO.

Aye, that's something I've only just noticed myself. They're not MPs, so why the affiliation?

Anyone know a f***ing thing about this? Apparently it's on Thursday. I haven't seen a thing about any of the candidates in my area and their apparent ideas, and apart from the polling cards all I've really been made aware of are those stupid adverts.

Turnout will surely be laughably low.

just a guess but i'd bet they all say they aim to cut crime and have more bobbies on the beat (but are pretty light in telling us how they aim to do that)

This is a total fucking farce.

It's an idea being pushed by Teresa May in trying to copy the U.S. I think the current system has worked fine for the last 170 odd years tbh...

I think people forget that the new system is basically giving all the power to one bloke with their own ideas in place rather than a group of councillors, magistrates or whoever you wanted to vote in. Yes, vote in.

The system was already in place ffs. Nobody particularly cared about it in the past, so i don't see why this will be any better now.

Going to go to vote for the independent.

At least Labour and the Lib Dems have the sense of putting forward a policeman or lawyer in Manchester.

The Conservative candidate can only be described as a career Conservative with no affiliation with the police or legal system.

We have a byelection at the same time and although I've voted in that, I'm not going to vote for the Police Commissioner.

Did we ask to vote on this? No.

Are the public the right people to decide this? No.

Is it a good idea? No.

Will it improve things? No.

What's the best protest against it? Don't vote.

There should be a minimum turnout below which the result cannot stand.

This is yet another example of the political misconception that democracy is an end in itself, it is not, it is a means to an end and that end is a good decision being made. For democracy to be effective it requires a well motivated and well informed electorate, but on this subject we (the electorate) are neither; we know nothing about the subject and we do not want to have to make the decision. In fact we elected politicians to make this kind of decision for us and they are now shirking that responsibility and forcing it back onto us. You have to ask yourself; what's the point of politicians if they're going to refuse to make decisions. Proper politics is dead in this country.

Had to deliver about 2000 of those bastarding polling cards along with my normal mail a couple of weeks back :anguish:

never mind its christmas soon, think of all them cards with money in for you. :lol:

:bluestar:

Christmas tips anarl, usually do alright on those, depending on what kind of area i'm delivering in.

Pissed me off last week on QT, the Tory Police Minister saying "well if you don't vote, you can't complain about anything to do with it later" - I don't know who any of the candidates are, you wanker! I don't know their policies, what powers they'll have, and I'm probably someone who pays more attention than the average.

Complete bloody waste of time and money.

I agree with it.

Why?

because at the moment I have no Idea who the chief constable is answerable to on policing issues. the ipcc appear to be more a reactionary organisation. I have seen a lot of policing Ive been less than impressed with over 40 years.

Went to school, sixth form and was in most classes with the lad who's the Tory candidate for Durham Constabulary.

Not a f***ing chance he's getting my vote, even if he was an independent rather than Tory.  Massive ego and I don't believe for one minute he's in it for any other reason than to raise his own profile.  He plays on the idea that despite he's the grandson of a miner and was raised in a little 3-bed terrace in an old pit village, it doesn't mean you have to vote Labour.

Will go to vote, and I'll probably go for Labour's Ron Hogg.  My dad used to know him through work.  Assures me he's a good man.  Only one to put a leaflet through our door as well and I liked what I read.