Continuity

ujpest doza

Last season when we went on an 11 game unbeaten start to the season and then in the spring won 7 games on the spin we had in both spells a very settled side.

We played virtually the same side every single week in both of those spells with minimal changes.

This season i know we have had injuries and suspensions,but we also have changes from game to game which were unforced and also have changed almost the entire team for Europa and COC games which means we've never had a settled side and haven't therefore managed to settle into any sort of rytham whatsoever.

We need to be playing the same team in europe as we do in the PL to keep continuity and get ourselves into the a rythm. Rubbish to say players will get too tired, if they win in europe and then repeat that in the league they'll all still want to play as players in winning teams don't get tired, will play through the pain barrier so as not to lose their place. Chopping and changing a losing side is easy and players are more likely tohide and cry off with any little niggle.

Resting the likes of Ben Arfa every Europa League game has done nothing for our Premier League performances. We should play most of the first choice team on Thursday. They could do with a win to get their confidence going.

There's no reason why some of our players can't play two games in a week. Other sides better than ours have players who play twice a week. Are Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Jonas, etc not fit enough to play twice a week? If they aren't they should be!

Resting the likes of Ben Arfa every Europa League game has done nothing for our Premier League performances. We should play most of the first choice team on Thursday. They could do with a win to get their confidence going.

There's no reason why some of our players can't play two games in a week. Other sides better than ours have players who play twice a week. Are Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Jonas, etc not fit enough to play twice a week? If they aren't they should be!

Exactly.

This, like the lack of investment excuse is another red herring. No amount of continuity can explain poorly set up sides and bad football philosophy. I said it before and I'll say it again: The run of games at the end of last season where we actually looked a good side was when Pardew stumbled on a decent formation in having to accommodate Cisse. There's nothing he's done since then to suggest it was otherwise.

Guest malandro

Successful teams tend to stick to a pattern of play regardless of which players they have available. They adopt a clear style of play and stick to it so players can come in and out of the first team without having to reinvent the wheel. They use different personnel in cup competitions but play the same way.

Despite what he says I don't see any evidence Pardew has worked out how he wants NUFC to play and I'm far from convinced continuity has much to do with injuries and suspensions.

Successful teams tend to stick to a pattern of play regardless of which players they have available. They adopt a clear style of play and stick to it so players can come in and out of the first team without having to reinvent the wheel. They use different personnel in cup competitions but play the same way.

Despite what he says I don't see any evidence Pardew has worked out how he wants NUFC to play and I'm far from convinced continuity has much to do with injuries and suspensions.

Spot on. Considering how badly we're playing though, I don't think some continuity would go amiss.

It's always been super cautious from Pardew. It's all well and good protecting players from injury but the fuckers are getting injured or sent off anyway. Effectively, 7 or 8 of the players are training Monday - Wednesday knowing they aren't playing on the Thursday, and then after the European game there's a couple of days training in preparation for Sunday. Just one of the many factors contributing to our shitness