Newcastle United 1 - 1 CS Maritimo - 22/11/12 - post-match reaction from page 30

Dave

Guest Geordiesned

One thing that stood out for me last night was how shit Ameobi and Marveaux are at getting back. A couple of times Santon made great runs down the left. He played the ball off looking for a return which was fucked up and we lost possession. Maritimo broke away and Santon sprinted past Ameobi and Marveaux to get back even though they had a 10-20 yard head start on him!

"We wanted to qualify, so we have done the job. The last 20 minutes of the game, Maritimo had nothing to lose and we were poor in that period, I am not going to cloud over that.

"But to some extent, we didn't have enough threat up the top of the pitch. We lost Hatem and then we lost Papiss - we lost Shola [Ameobi] yesterday - and we didn't really have enough pressure up there that could cause them problems.

"They had nothing to lose, so they came on to us, and that was a little bit disappointing, that period.

"But I am delighted we are through. It's very important for us, for our feeling because up until that last 20 minutes, we have been excellent in this tournament, so I am not going to get carried away by that.

"We know that we are really stretched at the minute, and I thought that showed in that period."

Yes, it's important to qualify so that don't lose your excuse in the new year.

The way we play football reminds me of the way my 5-a-side team plays on Monday nights. For 90 minutes we play as if it's the last 5 minutes of the game and we're a goal down. No matter whether it's 0-0, 1-0 to us, or whatever. For 90 minutes we're aiming to get the ball forward at a blistering pace, desperate to score with every punt and every knock down. If the punt and subsequent knockdown works per chance, we're immediately out wide and the player in possession is running towards the by-line, only to lose the ball somehow.

We exercise no control over the ball or over the game. We're not patient in possession, and we hardly look up, hence rushing everything.

You can't play proper 11-a-side football this way in a Sunday league game nevermind the top flight of English football, or against decent European sides.

The way we play football reminds me of the way my 5-a-side team plays on Monday nights. For 90 minutes we play as if it's the last 5 minutes of the game and we're a goal down. No matter whether it's 0-0, 1-0 to us, or whatever. For 90 minutes we're aiming to get the ball forward at a blistering pace, desperate to score with every punt and every knock down. If the punt and subsequent knockdown works per chance, we're immediately out wide and the player in possession is running towards the by-line, only to lose the ball somehow.

We exercise no control over the ball or over the game. We're not patient in possession, and we hardly look up, hence rushing everything.

You can't play proper 11-a-side football this way in a Sunday league game nevermind the top flight of English football, or against decent European sides.

This is true actually, my 7 a-side team play like this as well and I'm screaming at everyone to fucking calm down.

This is true actually, my 7 a-side team play like this as well and I'm screaming at everyone to f***ing calm down.

Aye, but that's probably just so you can get your breath back.  :iamatwat:

Job done and nothing more, we just went through the motions and have now lost HBA and Cisse to injury ahead of an extremely busy period of games.

Krul, Simpson, Colo and Santon were fine and Taylor was okay until he blotted his copybook with their goal.

Sammy Ameobi has been taking too many lessons off his big brother and continued where he left off from saturday. he needs to go out on loan like Inman has and learn to play football, never had the ball under control once.

Anita was once again anonymous against opposition who should have suited him, ie more time and space than in the PL.

Bigiramana was okay.

HBA wasn't in the game enough and then got injured.

I thought Cisse played well, held the ball up but needs to time his runs a bit better and look along the line.

Which brings us to Marveaux. His goal was excellent, very well taken and he showed a lot of nice touches, neat and tidy.

HOWEVER, I have never seen anyone duck out of as many challenges and 50:50's since Kevin Brock played for us.

Subs :

Ba was Ba, did okay

I thought Amalfitano did alright, actually looked interested and had a go.

I can't remember who else came on!!

I'm not expecting anything now from Southampton or Stoke and am worried we may lose a third PL game at home on the spin to Wigan!

Don't even know what to say about the match other then that was really hard to watch last night, i don't know if i'm happy that we have done enough to go through with the squad we have got or whether i'm pissed because paying £15 to watch that shower of shite really is a disgrace.

Thought Santon looked bright, he's dying to get that goal.  Colo should some lovely touches and i liked how the centre mids chased after the ball, unfortunately thats all they did.

Simpson was gash, Sammi too.

If anything i hope its proven to the management that our reserve players aren't ready for the step up, certainly playing more than one or two of them at a time leaves the team wide open.  Also have we decided to collect dwarfs? the midfield had the height of a under 11's team last night.

All that said, booing at the end is fucking laughable for me.

Not really. We've played what, 20 games this year? We're yet to produce a single good performance. That's pretty fucking poor given the players we've got.

So booing is going to do what?  Everyone has their own opinion of it i suppose but i really cant see how booing a team that has just secured qualification into the next round of the tournament will achieve anything other then dismay.  I agree about the performances but i don't think booing is the answer, we should get behind the team when they need us on the pitch rather then booing after IMO.

I only wish that the cheering on of the team was as enthusiastic as the booing and by that i don't mean the cringe fest that was last nights playlist.

If I feel the team played shit I simply don't applaud at the end of the match.

:thup:

Booing is pantomime stuff. If you absolutely have to do something, jeer them with obscenities. :lol:

Indeed. I want a seat closer to the dug out so I can be all 'Alan, these free kicks are fucking terrible man' during the game.

If I feel the team played shit I simply don't applaud at the end of the match.

:thup:

Booing is pantomime stuff. If you absolutely have to do something, jeer them with obscenities. :lol:

The intent is the same, though; booing actually gets heard though. Don't see any real problem with a load of boos at the end if it's justified.