So What Would YOU Change?

Colos Short and Curlies

Lots of depressed folk on here atm, but lets have a thread for what you would change to improve our play/position.

The only rules are that ashley is here to stay and we aint going to throw £50m at the squad in January. Oh, and if you reckon a change of manager is needed, you need to say who you would get.

For me the obvious problem is the style of play, long ball without a target man is stupid, and it obviously negates the ability of our better players so that has to go - I don't care if its 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 (or a variant of) or 2-2-6, we just need dynamic passing and movement with Ben Arfa being banned from being in his own half.

I'd look to replace Simpson in Jan, he's not the worst RB in the league, but he's not strong enough if I'm having Ben Arfa as an attacker and not helping out. The obvious solution is Debuchy but I'm sure somebody can come up with a better option.

any other signings should look to put pressure on the CB and CM positions - somebody who can provide a goal threat please! I dont think we need more flair in Midfield, if we release the shackles on Ben Arfa and Cabaye we would be better off going for power and legs in the middle of the park.

I'd also be having a look at Pardew's position, he deserves a chance to turn this around after over achieving last year, but if there are no signs of change by Christmas I'd get rid. As for a replacement, we need a coach, not a manager, and someone who would look to promote attacking football. Being realistic we're not going to get Pep so we may need to look at a young up and coming guy to give a chance to. As I'm a sap for a club hero I'm going to put out Nobby Solano. He may be very very very raw, but you got the feeling from the way he approached the game that he would make a decent coach/manager and why not give him a chance.

Of course if Jose wanted a proper challenge I'd plump for him

After typing this, my solutions (bar the Nobby curve ball) seem pretty obvious, you'd hope that a paid professional could spot the same

I'd go for Martin Jol and see if he can bring Briggs with him. Young, athletic LB with lots to learn who's not playing much, we might even be able to afford him. Switch Santon to RB. Personally i'd play 4-3-3 with Jonas in for Cabaye (until he's back) and partner him with Tiote and Anita. HBA on the right and, even though he's showed very little, i'd opt for Marveaux or Obertan on the left (as Ba won't play there). I'd also play Cisse up front as he plays off the last man better than Ba and when we play Ba we just seem to bang long to him (see last night) and he's actually not very good at that.

I think Ba is a terrific player but we change our style when he's on and go long (ineffectively). When Cisse plays we look to go through the middle more.

My first thoughts anyway. I will feel free to change them as well!

Even without signings.  We are littered with issues.

Set pieces - these could be improved tenfold with a bit of variation.  We try that sneaky corner routine once in a blue moon and that's it.  They're so easy to defend against, we rarely play them short and we never look to whip a quick, flat cross in.  Worst in the league I reckon?

Style of play - whether we set up with a 4-4-2/4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or whatever.  We don't have the personnel to play a direct style, yet we still persist with it?  Krul's hopeless long punts upfield are just depressing.  We constantly surrender possession and never control games.  The centre backs should pull wide, full backs pushing on, with Tiote, Anita or whoever coming in for the short option from the back just in front of the CB's. Something we've done at times in Europe with a bit of success.  We don't really build attacks, we kind of accidentally stumble upon an attack.  Usually after a loose ball is picked up by Ba or someone, or we give it to HBA and shout "Run Hatem, Run" in an Alabama accent.

Movement off the ball - I guess this could go into style of play.  But whether we're playing Allardyce or Guardiola football.  Standing still at all times and not moving from your designated area is a bit pointless.

Mix up our tactics - every team in the league now seems to know if they go a goal up they'll get a point at least.  We're so predictable.  Start slow and methodically.  Try and keep it tight until we get a goal.  Then sit back and invite pressure onto us and try a counter attack on the odd occassion.  The counter attacks usually don't work or fizzle out.  We never look to hit teams early and get more than one goal.  Last night was the perfect example.  At 1-0, we should have smelled blood and gone for the kill.  Instead, we reverted to type and tried to sit on a narrow lead.  Predictably, it came back to bite us.

Even with the injuries and suspensions.  We could get a lot more out of this side if we did the basics properly.  These are all fundemental problems and the management are using the strecthed/small squad and injuries as an excuse, to cover up their own shortcomings.

I would imagine most people will say similar to this.  Same as they've been doing in the Pardew thread?

Get in a new first team coach with a history of working with counter-attacking/pressing/fast-passing styles. Get him to work exclusively on our passing and movement when in possession

Look to bring in a wide forward who can also play upfront: Miralem Sulejmani is out of contract at the seasons end so would be cheap

Look to bring in a full back, not fussed which side: Daniel Schwaab is out of contract at the seasons end so would be cheap

Look to bring in a centre back: Douglas & Jan Kirchhoff are both out of contract at the seasons end so would be cheap

Loan out Sammy, Ferguson and Tavernier to Championship teams.

Start playing a consistent way across all games; not massively fussed on what style it is; 50% passing 50% direct, whatever.

Even without signings.  We are littered with issues.

Set pieces - these could be improved tenfold with a bit of variation.  We try that sneaky corner routine once in a blue moon and that's it.  They're so easy to defend against, we rarely play them short and we never look to whip a quick, flat cross in.  Worst in the league I reckon?

Its not just set pieces, our crossing (unless it hits the heels of the first man) is always drifting lightly away from goal and always between the pelanty spot and the edge of the box. So easy to defend against and so difficult to get anything towards goal from.

And yes thats deliberate

I can't see the style of play changing anytime soon so, on the basis we need a complete change in playing style throughout the club, I'd bring in Roberto Martinez who seems to have the ability to set a side up with a real game plan and his teams always try to play decent football.

I'd then bring in a long term Colo replacement, as I said in the summer and got laughed at.

I'd also plump for a new right back and new winger/wide forward.

To balance the books somewhat I'd sell one of Ba/Cisse as I just can't see how both can comfortably fit in to any system as a pairing.

Similar to Disco; no need (or point) in changing the manager. I appreciate the majority on here don't know any different as they've only been following us for the past decade or so, but we're not very good when we keep swapping managers before they've had a full couple of seasons in the job.

Bringing in a first team coach with the remit to work on the attacking mentality of the game, while Pardew and Carver continue to work on the defensive side of things, would be a shrewd move. What happened to that Dutch bloke who worked with the Welsh team?

Guest neesy111

Similar to Disco; no need (or point) in changing the manager. I appreciate the majority on here don't know any different as they've only been following us for the past decade or so, but we're not very good when we keep swapping managers before they've had a full couple of seasons in the job.

Bringing in a first team coach with the remit to work on the attacking mentality of the game, while Pardew and Carver continue to work on the defensive side of things, would be a shrewd move. What happened to that Dutch bloke who worked with the Welsh team?

:jesuswept:

This. Bring in a top attacking coach before January. In January sign depth and starting calibre players. Sissoko, Debuchy, CB, young pacy wide forward.

We just need to play to our strengths and with the players we've got, it's not like there's a lack of options either.

We could stick with this long ball stuff but for it to work we really need to push the midfield, or at least a central midfielder, up. Out strikers are useless at winning headers and aren't the best at linking play either, the ball is always coming straight back at us because we're so deep, particularly in the middle, the opposition almost always pick up the second ball. I think this style and set-up doesn't really play to our strengths but we could make it so much better than it currently is.

Our other option, if we're looking to try and mix up our play is to get one of the strikers to drop deeper and become a link man. It doesn't happen enough right now, our front 2 are always massively isolated with an ocean of space between midfield and attack, there's nobody filling that attacking central void so there's no easy outlet. Our middle 2 need help defensively as well, we're often overrun and they're consequently bogged down which particularly affects Cabaye, as he's not the best athlete.

The other option is to go 4-3-3, I think this suits us the most. It still allows us to mix it up offensively while retaining defensive solidity (if done right). We don't get overrun in the middle and have enough options and consequently enough of a central presence to keep possession and build varied attacks. At the minute we always go wide, there's no threat from the middle at all and that's hurting us. It's a shape that naturally suits the majority of our squad, it's a continental formation that our mainly continental squad know well, it's the obvious choice.

I don't want to see us go completely the other way in terms of how we play btw, we've got the personnel to be able to mix it up but at the minute it's so negatively direct, it's useless, we need to start adding some variety to our game, teams are reading us with ease.

We sorely need a bit of luck and that resolute defending towards the end of matches that helped us get so many points last season. How many points/Wins have we lost this season based on that? Top of my head, 4 points lost from 2 away matches in Liverpool & Sunderland.

:jesuswept:

We've had 9 different managers in the last decade; the majority of people on the forum don't know any different to changing your manager after a year or so.

First and foremost an attacking coach. Someone who'll work with the players on a day-to-day basis on set-pieces and making the most of possession in the final third - ie creating chances (ha). Is it any wonder we look toothless going forward when the men responsible for working with the attacking players are Steve Stone and John Carver? Neither one is up to the job.

A new box-to-box midfielder, which would probably mean the sale of Tiote (preferably) or Cabaye. Someone who'll drive the team forward and not give stupid fouls away. Doesn't have to be the most talented player, just someone who reads the game well, does the basics right and can make an impression in the final third. I was hoping Gosling would eventually fill this void but his development has been curtailed.

No more deep-lying playmakers! They don't work in this league and Cabaye only barely gets a reprieve on that because he can tackle and could do well in a 4-3-3 where you need a player both in midfield and up front to be fairly static.

2 new defenders, ideally one RB and one CB. Bin Simpson and relegate Williamson to 4th choice.

A wide player with pace who can cross - Shane's probably too raw for this job right now. Keith Gillespie mark II please.

Guest neesy111

Signings needed:

2 centre back's as I have no faith in Saylor nor Williamson.

1 full back preferably left and then switch Santon.

1 out and out winger with a very good delivery and pace.

1 striker we need another option upfront would like someone with lots of pace.

Tactics:

No more hoofball.

Much higher line and playing on the front foot at the striker penning the other team back.

Not a single set piece ever to Williamson.

Training:

Much more emphasis on attacking.

New attacking coach.

A new box-to-box midfielder, which would probably mean the sale of Tiote (preferably) or Cabaye. Someone who'll drive the team forward and not give stupid fouls away. Doesn't have to be the most talented player, just someone who reads the game well, does the basics right and can make an impression in the final third. I was hoping Gosling would eventually fill this void but his development has been curtailed.

If we buy Sissokho (again out of contract the end of the year according to a couple of sites) hopefully he'll fulfill this role.