Not worthy of a thread - Euro 2020 edition

Disco

21 hours ago, Wullie said:

As an adult I can't even imagine booing anything. I just did it alone and I felt absolutely ridiculous. Try it. Imagine doing that in public. 

You are at the Tyne Wear Derby and Sunderland players jog to your end of the stadium? Your telling me you dont boo/whistle/hiss? 

I don't understand when intimidating the opposition became something to be ashamed of.

4 minutes ago, MidfieldGeneral said:

Does anyone know the name of the song that's been played before kick off at quite a few of the matches, including the 2 today? 

It's this Bono shite innit?

What nation has brought the most to football? Not just winners, but cumulatively historically, culturally, socially, in terms of its supporters and having heroes and legends consistently emerging through time, everything. 

Italy mebs? 

Argentina, Brazil and England > Italy IMO.

Absolutely impossible to quantify though but that English (and Scots) started football in so many other places it’s hard to look past even if culturally it’s probably been bypassed until recently and the global dominance of the PL, for better or worse.

Would have Italy well ahead of Germany and Spain though; probably along with the Dutch being ahead of those two too.

8 hours ago, Yorkie said:

What nation has brought the most to football? Not just winners, but cumulatively historically, culturally, socially, in terms of its supporters and having heroes and legends consistently emerging through time, everything. 

Italy mebs? 

Could include Yugoslavia as it has a rich history of great players and cultural and social impact on all countries that formed Yugoslavia. Although here I can speak for Croatia as football had an immense impact on the country especially after the war in 90s and Croatian bronze medal at World Cup 1998 just after the war.

As I was little at that time, that World Cup is ingrained in my memory and those generations who watched our heroes all went into football and that manifested in a great generation of our national team which won the silver medal in WC 2018.

Maybe 2038 we get the gold medal? :)

Edited by Marko NUFC

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Italy mebs? 

Holland brought a lot between 1970 and 1990.

England aside I wonder how this tournament will be looked back on in years to come. 

Recency bias ahoy but it's definitely been the most entertaining on the field for what seems like a while (Euro 2008 always springs to mind as a decent competition) but it being played in front of largely neutral and obviously reduced crowds has really detracted from it for me. This would've been an issue in normal times due to the ridiculous nature of where the games are being held and the short turn around in knockout games but few things if any beat an end going up as one and the noise of joy/relief/everything else rolled into one filling the stadium and your speakers but that has been largely taken away for the most part. I picture that small band of Swiss in the corner v France and it's sad there couldn't have been 10-12,000 there all losing their minds. And then again in the QFs in Russia and Azerbaijan you've got next to no atmosphere and next to actual fans there in what were huge games for all involved. 

Whilst it's been an achievement to get it on and for so few cases of Covid to hit the players I'm not so sure it'll be looked back on all to well as enjoyable as the on field action has been.

On the other hand though, the big occasions where there has been a bouncing atmosphere (Denmark-Russia, England-Germany, Budapest - even that small band of Swiss you mentioned) have been all the more amplified because of the restrictions across the board. 

The Europe-wide thing was totally pointless though. Can't think of a single '>' over doing it all in one country. 

There's been some class games, that's for sure. Amazing how much better the group stages were than Euro 2016. 

It's also been the most goal-ish tournament since I started watching football. 

Goals / goals per game

Euro 2020 - 135 / 2.82

WC 2018 - 169 / 2.64

Euro 2016 - 108 / 2.12

WC 2014 - 171 / 2.67

Euro 2012 - 76 / 2.45

WC 2010 - 145 / 2.27

Euro 2008 - 77 / 2.48

WC 2006 - 147 / 2.3

Euro 2004 - 77 / 2.48

WC 2002 - 161 / 2.52

Euro 2000 - 85 / 2.74

WC 1998 - 171 / 2.67

This is the best Euros in my memory and not just because of England doing well. There’s been a few dead games in terms of atmosphere but there’s been more than enough of the opposite. Loads of cracking games and stories; particularly the round of 16 which I think I’ll remember for a long time. Was just mental.