Not worthy of a thread - Euro 2020 edition

Disco

There's argument to be made that making a massive big deal about national anthems, and the 'offensiveness' of defiling them with boos and whistles, is overtly nationalistic in and of itself. At the end of the day it's just a daft song.  And this is just another example of the theatre of football.

Edited by ponsaelius

12 hours ago, The Prophet said:

How long has it been a thing to be offended on behalf of a country who's national anthem is booed?

I'm not one to boo them, but it feels like it's been part of the pantomime of football for years.

I'm not offended by it, but I don't think it's coming from a place of pantomime with lots of bonhomie belying it. So I think it's a bit of a dick thing to do, basically.

20 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

I wouldn't do it myself but getting offended by it is a bit wet flannel for me. Adds to the intimidation of playing away, all part of the game.

I think that's how I see it. I don't necessarily agree with it, but at the same time it doesn't bother me. It certainly isn't racist, as some are suggesting.

When Brazil hosted the World Cup, they cut the end of the national anthems and it worked really well. Chile belting out their anthem louder than a chorus of Brazilian boos made the hair stand on end.

42 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Our National Anthem is turd. Hate it. Wish we had a bit of a techno style Anthem.

In terms of anthems it’s got to be (for me)

1. Italy

2.Russia

3 Scotland 

4 Germany 

5 France 

quite like the Welsh and Ukraine one too

Just now, Mikky said:

In terms of anthems it’s got to be (for me)

1. Italy

2.Russia

3 Scotland 

4 Germany 

5 France 

quite like the Welsh and Ukraine one too

Seems fair to me. Always loved the Russian one. 

11 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Seems fair to me. Always loved the Russian one. 

Think the Italian one has overtaken the Russian one during these Euros for me 

re the England anthem - I wouldn’t sing it being a Muslim due to the reference of god within it 

1 hour ago, TBG said:

Get locked up these days for singing the national anthem outside of sporting events.

It's sickening what the left have done to our once proud nation.

4 hours ago, TBG said:

Get locked up these days for singing the national anthem outside of sporting events.

And I said "you can get locked up for singing the national anthem?" and he said "yeah, you can get locked up for singing the national anthem" And I said "for singing the national anthem?" and he said "no".