Dark Souls II

Mike

12 hours ago, Cf said:

Just beat the dragon at the end of the first DLC. That was an ordeal! Way more challenging than anything that came before it. 

He's brutal, found him one of the hardest in the game.

On 04/02/2022 at 15:30, OpenC said:

Interesting..

..but it's the worst out of all of them by about hundred miles :lol:

(and I also played Demons first - just played them in order of release).  There's literally nothing I prefer in DS2 to any other in the series other than, as someone pointed out, the hub music in Majula :lol: the limited respawns, the estus as well as gems mechanic because they couldn't judge the difficulty properly, the shitty world design, the nerfed weapons because they couldn't judge the difficulty properly.. pretty much everything about it is compromise and disappointment imo :lol: the third one felt equally disappointing for a while (particularly after Bloodborne which is miles ahead of them all) but in retrospect it's just a distilled and refined Dark Souls experience that never felt very new but didn't get much wrong.

Oh, I liked Gavlan though

:lol: Very, very fair points. I loved the scale and size of DS2, especially compared to DS3, which felt quite short in comparison. But I played them in a weird order. DS3 - DS1 - DS2, so not sure if that had any bearing on my feelings.

I found the weapons okay in DS2, can't say I noticed too much nerfing. By contrast, I found DS3 "easier" in a lot of respects, but that's probably more down to the fast rolling and increased stamina. 

Dunno, love all of them :lol: but I do agree that DS2 isn't as good as DS1 or DS3.

59 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

:lol: Very, very fair points. I loved the scale and size of DS2, especially compared to DS3, which felt quite short in comparison. But I played them in a weird order. DS3 - DS1 - DS2, so not sure if that had any bearing on my feelings.

I found the weapons okay in DS2, can't say I noticed too much nerfing. By contrast, I found DS3 "easier" in a lot of respects, but that's probably more down to the fast rolling and increased stamina. 

Dunno, love all of them :lol: but I do agree that DS2 isn't as good as DS1 or DS3.

I like that in DS2 I've varied my weapons and armour as I've gone along. I've gone Longsword -> Bastard Sword -> Black Knight Halberd. DS1 was similar where I think it was Longsword -> Halberd -> Zweihander. Each weapon in all cases feeling like a clear upgrade over the last.

DS3 I rarely moved away from my starting Battle Axe. I think I tried some boss sword at some point but it just wasn't as good. And whilst there's something to be said for each weapon being viable it removed that sense of progression. And armour in DS3 was just pointless. So long as you had something equipped it didn't really matter what.

Edited by Cf

Yeah, armour in DS3 is pure Fashion Souls. In DS1 it was all about getting that sweet spot of poise whilst having a fast-ish roll. Was done a lot better tbh.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

DS2's DLC is the only Souls content I've ever had to give up on. They made it basically impossible if you were primarily using magic.

Also this ^ so difficult. I'm ashamed to admit that I looked up how to get the Moonlight Greatsword, then tweaked my stats to hold the fucking thing in order to get through the DLCs.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 09/05/2022 at 06:58, Troll said:

No, saving this one for a rainy day.

If you're struggling for games and still haven't done this one you've saved the best for last :)