Western Digital HD

Joe Dynamite

I have a 2TB western Digital external hard drive. Last night upon plugging it in I noticed it had not loaded properly. Tried a few things but instead of the name I gave it appearing "Local Disk H" is present. It says in order for me to use it I need to format the drive. If it is knackered, is there a way of getting the files off it at all?

I have a 2TB western Digital external hard drive. Last night upon plugging it in I noticed it had not loaded properly. Tried a few things but instead of the name I gave it appearing "Local Disk H" is present. It says in order for me to use it I need to format the drive. If it is knackered, is there a way of getting the files off it at all?

It's a windows error so try running a linux live CD and see if you can see the files, if you can back them up elsewhere. Same thing would work on a Mac. Windows is terrible for losing the ability to read it's original formatting.

If that fails give http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd a try and run some of the hard drive backup tools, these will often backup even if the drive has bad sectors so you don't lose your work.