Windows vista won't load

Joe Dynamite

Mam and dads laptop was apparently working fine then upon turning on yesterday it won't boot up. The machine simply keeps restarting over and over. It won't go into safe mode or last good configuration. The laptop didn't come with a backup CD for Vista. Is it possible to save it?

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 7730

You need to get into the BIOS or advanced start up to see if there is a recovery partition on the laptop and try restoring from that (you might lose any data stored on the hard drive unless the recovery option gives you a option to recover it)

If it does't have a recovery partition you could change the boot order options in the BIOS to boot from CD and enter a windows bootable disk (If you can find one or acquire one) and try re-installing windows

It all depends on why the laptops crashing on boot up really as to if its possible to save it or to recover the data on there.

But that's what I would try 1st

If it proves unfixable but there's stuff on there they want to keep, you could also boot a live Linux from a memory stick/dvd/cd which would allow you to look at the contents of the HDD and put them elsewhere before reinstalling.  This is probably your cheapest and easiest option to recover data.

Who knows, they might even like the look of Linux.. my parents, my girl and the bairn all prefer it now to Windows (and have it installed on their laptops as the only OS) because it doesn't hit them with account management "do you want to allow this" requests every five minutes.