Upson

Cajun

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=432614&CPID=10&clid=41&lid=4&title=Bruce+wants+top+dosh+for+Upson

Birmingham boss Steve Bruce says it will take "one hell of an offer" for the club to sacrifice Matthew Upson in the January transfer window.

Upson, who has suffered a number of injury blows this year, will be making his first senior appearance for 10 months at St Andrews against Plymouth on Saturday.

The 27-year-old turned down a new deal with the club before his injury setbacks and is out of contract in 18 months' time.

But the Blues boss will not let him leave on a free transfer and is in no rush to sell Upson in the near future.

"Because of the wealth of the owners (David Sullivan and David Gold), I am fortunate in not having to sell," said Bruce.

"Anyone who tries to buy anyone off us has got to pay top dollar - because they know, with the owners' wealth, they can't have us over a barrel.

"I am under no pressure to sell Upson, and he is a huge valuable asset to the club.

"I wouldn't put any figure on him. But he has seven or eight England caps and he is coming to his peak at the age of 27-28. It would have to take an awful lot of money to sell him in January."

Upson himself is also undecided as to his plans, adding: "It's difficult to comment on my future. It's difficult for me to say anything until I play.

"I don't know what's going to happen. People say 'Maybe he's going to be sold'. All I care about is playing football again. The moment I do that, things may happen.

"Until then, until I get back on the pitch and get back to where I know I can be - and potentially better than I've ever been - who knows what my future is.

"I am still on the contract I signed when I very first came to this football club four years ago. There is 18 months left on it. That's where we are. There is no change in that situation."

As predicted he isn't going to leave on the cheap. Really don't think we should go for him. Is a pretty average defender and very injury prone. Look elsewhere please Glenn!

Upson will hand in his transfer request as soon as a bid from an EPL club is rejected.

He'll half-arse play out his remainder and until the Brum with have to pay £40kpw, while having a defender at 70% and losing out on the £3m they could get for him now.

All that to try and save face, and its this reason Birmingham are back in the Championship, as they have a thick as fuk manager who cuts his huge honker off to spite his big fat face.

I like Upson, but any more than £4m and i'm not really interested. Distin and Upson for £6m-or-so is good business. Distin and Upson for £9/10m just isn't worth it.

One or the other for me, both heavily left footed.

I like Upson, but any more than £4m and i'm not really interested. Distin and Upson for £6m-or-so is good business. Distin and Upson for £9/10m just isn't worth it.

If it came down to a choice there shouldn't really even be a seconds thought.

If it came down to a choice there shouldn't really even be a seconds thought.

If the three options were:

Distin for £2.5m

Upson for £4m

Distin and Upson for £6.5m

Wouldn't take me a second to choose.

Option 3 would allow us to offload Bramble aswell.

£4m we may aswell try and sign Woodgate back, Upson always seems to be injured and when he plays he is pretty average.

Distin without doubt and if we were gonna splash £4m on another cb i would rather got for either a young promising CB or a CB in the later stages iof his career but with enough quality and the legs to last 3-4 more years.

• 4 months later...

Confirmed his season is over, signs for £6m, plays 41 mins. GREAT signing :lol:

Kinda makes the Woodgate signing seem a good bit of business.  Watch Woody go down for the season, the first half of Boro's opening match next season or this weekend.