Backing up e-mail account

Beren

Hi (probably Dave)

So, I want to back up my Hotmail account. More specifically, I want to be able to download all my Hotmail messages (including inbox and sub-folders onto my desktop). I would then like to erase the online e-mail messages in the Hotmail account, but continue to download any new messages on to my desktop.

So far I have tried Windows Live Mail. This is vaguely useful at the first part (ie. downloading messages to desktop) but if I subsequently delete something on the online Hotmail account, next time I download a new message on to my desktop, the account will sync completely (so the item I deleted online will also be deleted from my stored desktop messages).

Any ideas on how to achieve what I want to do?

Thanks in advance

Set it up as a POP3 account?

Try this guide: http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/blog/configure-hotmail-on-windows-live-mail/

In theory this will download them to your email client one way, rather than syncing. Be aware that the default setting is for the emails to be deleted from your online account automatically mind. You can change the settings for this in Live Mail.

Guest neesy111

Aye, set it up as POP3 though I think you'll need to change some settings in the hotmail account itself for it to work properly.

Thanks, backed up :thup:

Separate question: how would one go about buying a domain name outright? (ie. without the annual renewal fees etc)

Don't think you can. They all want to offer you DNS for your domain as well. At any rate, you wouldn't save a whole bunch.

Have a look at Hover.com. They're pretty good and don't try to foist loads of extra "features" on you. The support is amazing.