What Needs To Happen vs. What Will Happen

ChrisMcQuillan

It's become rather apparent that we're in a very difficult situation, and I suppose our only solace is the approaching January window.

Not reinforcing is not an option to any rational person, but unfortunately Mike Ashley probably doesn't see it that way.  Ending the window with an equal number of players is not out of the question, but would almost certainly be damaging.

If Ashley doesn't want to spend the money, then Pardew has to go.  It has fallen apart under his watch, and while he's been terribly unfortunate with injuries, there is still enough talent on the pitch to have picked up far more points than he has through insane tactical decisions and his determination to play both Ba and Cisse.  The "no more" shout to the players today directly before the collapse worries me to no end.  It was clear our defence was weak as hell, and so he wanted to defend a draw for 30 minutes when we desperately need points?  Look what happened.  That decision may have been sparked by the number of players out injured and exhausted, but nonetheless, it's of concern.

If Ashley is willing to splash the cash, reinforcements are needed.  The bare minimum to salvage anything from this season is a top quality CB, RB and a replacement for Ba should he leave.  The minimum cost here is probably something like £20m for all three.  Sadly, I just can't see it happening.  It would be so out of character for Mike Ashley.  Even if he does choose to bring all three in, I can see him selling Williamson and Simpson to "raise funds", leaving us with no increase in squad depth whatsoever.

I'm genuinely concerned about the direction of the club at present, and it would take a fairly miraculous U-turn in policy from Ashley and Llambias to rectify the season.  For the record, I don't want to see Pardew sacked.  I'd like him to be the man to take us forward, but if he's not going to get backed by Ashley, and Ashley isn't going to sell, someone else needs to do the job.  Ironically, someone like Hughton who can get the best out of the few players available. 

We're in big, big trouble folks.  What are your honest predictions for what will happen in January, and can they redeem anything from this season?

Last year was a flash in the pan, clearly. Pardew isn't good enough to take us forward, but he's good enough to keep us up... providing we strengthen the defense considerably in January. If we don't sign at least one defender, there's a fair chance we'll get relegated, because Pardew's in-game tactics aren't good enough.

If we perform for the rest of the season like we did in these last two games (except for the last 20 today), then we have no danger what so ever of going down. Of course Pardew wont receive any credit for that though.

We had the chance in the summer to sort ourselves out, instead we gambled and it's backfired badly. We knew we didn't have the quality in the first XI within the defence, let alone in depth, yet we signed Anita instead of bolstering our back line. Anita is a good player and will be decent here, but I'd have preferred us to bring in say Douglas and Debuchy and seen what would have happened without the need for Williamson/Perch/Simpson playing in defence. I like Perch, but he's not really any better at the back than those guys, he just happens to be better in midfield too.

So what we need to do in January is actually no different than the summer, however with the twist that it will be harder to convince good players to join a sinking ship in January.

If we had purchased them in the summer we may well have been sniffing around the lower end of the top half or better.

What needs to happen: Ashley needs to sell up to someone who has money and understands football. Once we have this guy in place he can sack Llambias and bring in sensible football men who understand the game. The new owner then invests in the majorly weak positions such as our defence and gives Pardew a certain number of games to have pulled clear of relegation trouble. Failing this he then sacks him and makes an ambitious managerial appointment.

What will happen: Ashley will eat some donuts on transfer deadline day then fall asleep in front of the TV.

Desperately need a full back and a centre back. We should be looking to get them in the first week of January as we really need them now. Also wouldn't mind us selling Tiote if we brought in a replacement.

Really worried about the rest of this season though. Completely losing interest in Newcastle now which has never happened in my 19 years of following them. Next 3 games are massive, need at least 7 points.

As has already been mentioned as well, shift Cisse back central ffs.

We had the chance in the summer to sort ourselves out, instead we gambled and it's backfired badly. We knew we didn't have the quality in the first XI within the defence, let alone in depth, yet we signed Anita instead of bolstering our back line. Anita is a good player and will be decent here, but I'd have preferred us to bring in say Douglas and Debuchy and seen what would have happened without the need for Williamson/Perch/Simpson playing in defence. I like Perch, but he's not really any better at the back than those guys, he just happens to be better in midfield too.

So what we need to do in January is actually no different than the summer, however with the twist that it will be harder to convince good players to join a sinking ship in January.

If we had purchased them in the summer we may well have been sniffing around the lower end of the top half or better.

Which makes it feel extremely improbable, to me.

Which makes it feel extremely improbable, to me.

Yup.

:'(

Replace Simpson, Williamson and Tiote.

Play Cisse as a striker.

Stick to 4-2-3-1.

Get Cabaye and Ben Arfa fit.

Cisse as a striker rather than Ba??

Or start on the Bench.  Either way, he is not a right winger.

Aye, agreed..