Newcastle-Online in 2012

Guest Admin

First of all: Happy New Year folks!

We thought the first day of 2013 would provide as good an opportunity as any for a quick look back at how 2012 unfolded on Newcastle-Online, so here goes:

2012 was our first full year on the new server since the “big move” of September 2011, which was aimed at allowing us to provide a far more reliable service. To this end we're delighted to report that our downtime has been significantly reduced, we are now capable of handling much higher loads and that the page-to-page operation of the website is faster than it has ever been.

We hope that you’ve all been happy enough with how things have been since the upgrade and remind you that if you do ever run into problems that there are “Forum Service Issues and Updates” threads stickied in both the “Football” and “Chat” sections of the forum. While you may not get an answer immediately, we do our best to try and sort out any problems as quickly as we can.

Tapatalk integration for smartphone users has also been in operation for over a year now. While not for everyone, I’m sure most would agree it's miles better than browsing N-O in the “old way”. The app itself costs £1.99 and though we don’t see any of that money ourselves it’s certainly worth a look if you’re regularly viewing the forum whilst mobile.

For the stat lovers: activity on the site last year was up by around 9% on 2011 as our page views jumped to 52,996,881 from 48,745,037 (+4,251,844). This is roughly the equivalent of every supporter in a packed SJP checking N-O three times a day each in 2012. Not bad going for a fan forum dedicated to a “wee club in the North East” eh?

Total posts for the year amounted to 692,390, which actually decreased by 12,775 from what we had in 2011. This can generally be explained by the sad lack of a Ben Arfa-esque transfer odyssey in the summer just gone and a general absence of transfer activity across both windows (June-September/January). We were around 20,000 posts down in these periods of 2012 when compared to 2011, though the rest of the time has been busier overall.

Other positives to report are that there were less bans last year than ever before (hooray!), that we can now post fixtures without any fear of being shut down (hooray!) and that Dave has begun creating offspring to ensure the safeguarding of this place well into the 21st century (hip hip hooray!).

2012 was pretty spiffing overall then. While things have naturally dipped in the latter part of it due to the way NUFC have gone, it’s a struggle to remember a better time on here than that period between January and August. Whether it was the glorious arrival of Papiss Cisse and our club continuing to defy expectations right up until the last, the fantastic sporting summer we enjoyed or just the continued brilliance of certain stalwart threads, everything just seemed “better” across the board. All the best to whichever sucker decides to take on the Forum Awards this time around…

Finally, we want to take this opportunity to offer huge thanks to all of you for being such an essential part of it. Here’s to another revival in 2013!

Marvellous work; thank you to all the admin team.

As for forum awards; i have offered myself to do a quick, low-res version but had the idea re-buffed. Still happy to do so if enough people fancy it (i personally think they're always a bit of a laugh).

Marvellous work; thank you to all the admin team.

As for forum awards; i have offered myself to do a quick, low-res version but had the idea re-buffed. Still happy to do so if enough people fancy it (i personally think they're always a bit of a laugh).

Go for it Yorkie :thup:

And thanks again Admins :aww:

Get GM to do it again. Bring some new year cheer.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The awards gig is a bigger ballache than wading through the mire of shite posts and meme in-jokes just to find the one glistening morsel of wisdom or wit that makes the drudgery of visiting this forum worthwhile. That said, I reckon Yorkie would make a good fist of the job - I hear he's particularly talented with his fists.

Merry new year to you and all pissface. :hmm:

Many thanks to the Admin team for a forum well run. Happy New Year's everyone.

This.

Keep it going, it's a great place to be.

Would never ever have thought some years ago that I would meet with some of the people on here in Newcastle and have some cracking nights out. :thup:

I think I speak for the entire non-administrational posting team when I say a big thank you to all the people who make Newcastle-online what it is. 2012 was a very good year for the forum, in which we saw the addition of strong new personnel, whilst also welcoming back some familiar faces of years gone by. Unfortunately and perhaps inevitably, we have lost a few along the way. Posters who presumably either lost their internet connection or simply chose to get on with their lives. There has also been the odd unsavoury incident throughout the past 12 months, but thanks to the likes of Dave and JH, these incidents have proved to be mere blips in an otherwise successful year. (Press play on the video)

I can't help but smile when I look back and think about some of the posts I have read on threads such as "Some Vaguely Amusing Internet Jocularity" and who could forget the infamous "Not Worthy of a Thread - General Chat edition". It is posts such as these that provide great solace in an otherwise uncompromising, scary world and allow us to pass off other people's witticisms as our own in front of our real life peers. I'm literally in floods of tears as I write this so will have to wrap it up. I'll leave you with the words of Orison Swett Marden who said: "Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great."

Let us all pull together and make 2013 the best year in N-O history. Excelsior!

First of all: Happy New Year folks!

We thought the first day of 2013 would provide as good an opportunity as any for a quick look back at how 2012 unfolded on Newcastle-Online, so here goes:

2012 was our first full year on the new server since the “big move” of September 2011, which was aimed at allowing us to provide a far more reliable service. To this end we're delighted to report that our downtime has been significantly reduced, we are now capable of handling much higher loads and that the page-to-page operation of the website is faster than it has ever been.

We hope that you’ve all been happy enough with how things have been since the upgrade and remind you that if you do ever run into problems that there are “Forum Service Issues and Updates” threads stickied in both the “Football” and “Chat” sections of the forum. While you may not get an answer immediately, we do our best to try and sort out any problems as quickly as we can.

Tapatalk integration for smartphone users has also been in operation for over a year now. While not for everyone, I’m sure most would agree it's miles better than browsing N-O in the “old way”. The app itself costs £1.99 and though we don’t see any of that money ourselves it’s certainly worth a look if you’re regularly viewing the forum whilst mobile.

For the stat lovers: activity on the site last year was up by around 9% on 2011 as our page views jumped to 52,996,881 from 48,745,037 (+4,251,844). This is roughly the equivalent of every supporter in a packed SJP checking N-O three times a day each in 2012. Not bad going for a fan forum dedicated to a “wee club in the North East” eh?

Total posts for the year amounted to 692,390, which actually decreased by 12,775 from what we had in 2011. This can generally be explained by the sad lack of a Ben Arfa-esque transfer odyssey in the summer just gone and a general absence of transfer activity across both windows (June-September/January). We were around 20,000 posts down in these periods of 2012 when compared to 2011, though the rest of the time has been busier overall.

Other positives to report are that there were less bans last year than ever before (hooray!), that we can now post fixtures without any fear of being shut down (hooray!) and that Dave has begun creating offspring to ensure the safeguarding of this place well into the 21st century (hip hip hooray!).

2012 was pretty spiffing overall then. While things have naturally dipped in the latter part of it due to the way NUFC have gone, it’s a struggle to remember a better time on here than that period between January and August. Whether it was the glorious arrival of Papiss Cisse and our club continuing to defy expectations right up until the last, the fantastic sporting summer we enjoyed or just the continued brilliance of certain stalwart threads, everything just seemed “better” across the board. All the best to whichever sucker decides to take on the Forum Awards this time around…

Finally, we want to take this opportunity to offer huge thanks to all of you for being such an essential part of it. Here’s to another revival in 2013!

tl;dr

I think I speak for the entire non-administrational posting team when I say a big thank you to all the people who make Newcastle-online what it is. 2012 was a very good year for the forum, in which we saw the addition of strong new personnel, whilst also welcoming back some familiar faces of years gone by. Unfortunately and perhaps inevitably, we have lost a few along the way. Posters who presumably either lost their internet connection or simply chose to get on with their lives. There has also been the odd unsavoury incident throughout the past 12 months, but thanks to the likes of Dave and JH, these incidents have proved to be mere blips in an otherwise successful year. (Press play on the video)

I can't help but smile when I look back and think about some of the posts I have read on threads such as "Some Vaguely Amusing Internet Jocularity" and who could forget the infamous "Not Worthy of a Thread - General Chat edition". It is posts such as these that provide great solace in an otherwise uncompromising, scary world and allow us to pass off other people's witticisms as our own in front of our real life peers. I'm literally in floods of tears as I write this so will have to wrap it up. I'll leave you with the words of Orison Swett Marden who said: "Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great."

If ever there was a volunteer for the Forum Awards.

As a relative newbie (April 2012) I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here, amassing over 1000 posts (mostly shite but still incredible for me). I've learned some interesting things, enjoyed some great chats/discussions and been in tears of laughter at some things I've read.

I've been missing for a few months as I've had to stop coming on here to get actual things done in real life  :D but hope to be around for many a year yet.

Well done to all involved in keeping this the best wee club forum in the t'internet.

http://i.imgur.com/ODP8Q.jpg

Thanks to the admins and mods.  This is a great site and always the first place I visit when I fire up the PC.  While it's an NUFC site, i'm particularly glad we have the likes of Neil, Leffe, Zolton, Brummie, Hithere et al giving us other clubs point of view too.

Good job folks, looking forward to a great 2013.