Worst Signing of the Last Decade

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Following on from the ongoing discussion on who has been the best signing over the last decade how about we look at the worst?

This could be interesting.

Let's narrow it down a little...

Jean Alain Boumsong

Brought in from Rangers by Souness for £8 million in a very dodgy deal which was looked at by the Stevens inquiry into corruption in football. He had the odd okay game but on the whole he was appalling.

Albert Luque

A Freddy Shepherd special, £9.5 million from Deportivo La Coruña in August 2005, looked promising for a few minutes on début against Manchester United until he tore his hamstring against Fulham a week later. Not much of note after that other than injuries. This deal was also looked at by the Stevens inquiry. Will forever be remembered for 'wrapping it up' against the Mackems when we demolished them 4-1.

Michael Owen

Another Freddy Shepherd special, £17 million from Real Madrid, vast wages, wanted to sign for Liverpool really, spineless bastard, worst captain in the history of the club. 26 league goals in 4 season and captained us to relegation.

Joey Barton

A season of a half of good form doesn't make up for the rest of his time at the club which was filled with injuries, off the field problems and time at Her Majesty's pleasure. Total nutjob, very good football when his head is in the right place.

Alan Smith

Signed in August 2007 for £6 million from Manchester United on high wages, no longer the player he used to be and not up to Premier League football, had a few decent games in the Championship, finally off the wage bill at the end of last season, now sits on the bench in League 1.

Ignacio María González

Who? Signed on loan after Dennis Wise watched a clip of him on youtube and as a favour for an agent in South America. He made two appearances before a so called injury ruled him out for the rest of his loan period. Unwillingly at the heart of massive problems for the club which ended up with Kevin Keegan stepping down as manager, the subsequent Premier League tribunal found he was signed against the wishes of Keegan.

Nile Ranger

Brought in having been released by Southampton having served in a Young Offender's Institute for his part in an armed robbery. He's shown promise at times but his attitude and behaviour have been awful for the majority of times. Genuinely believes he is a gangster.

Francisco Jiménez Tejada (Xisco)

Signed for £5.7 million from our friends at Deportivo La Coruña in summer 2008, scored on his début in a horrible defeat against Hull City. Made less than 10 appearances in his 4 years at the club, still picks up his (rumoured) extortionate £50,000 a week wage packet.

Other notable mentions go to Aaron Spear, Ben Tozer, Sol Campbell, Samuel Adjei, Lamine Diatta, Ronny Johnsen, Stephen Ireland and Giuseppe Rossi.

Quite a choice here, we really have made some shocking signings in the last 10 years and I'm really not sure who I would go for out of the above.

Thoughts? Please vote. Anyone obvious I've missed out?

Owen in terms of value and hindsight, not many we're saying it at the time though.

For me it's Gonzalez and Xisco combined. Not just for the players but because of everything that came with the signings, which resulted in my favourite ever manager and my club at legal loggerheads. The lowest I've ever seen us.

It's sad that Barton shouldn't be anywhere near this list.

Of the ones listed, it has to be Owen, but I would argue that Duff was just as bad. We didn't need him, he ruined NZogbias career here and he was useless and played a huge part in us getting relegated.

For me it's Gonzalez and Xisco combined. Not just for the players but because of everything that came with the signings, which resulted in my favourite ever manager and my club at legal loggerheads. The lowest I've ever seen us.

Yup.