Wilko Johnson "cancer free"

kingkerouac

Just heard this news from The Southend Echo down here, apparently diagnosed in the last week or so, but refusing Chemo, as he wants to go out still gigging.

Always been one of my guitar heroes. Virtually invented the staccatto, choppy punk style.

It's better to burn out...

A fan too. Saw him years back in Stoke Newington and couldn't believe that one of my all-time heroes, Norman Watt-Roy, was playing with him. Just the two of them IIRC. Norman Watt-Roy just sat on stage and chatted with me and a mate during the break.

Sad to hear. So Wilko Johnson to refuse treatment to keep playing too.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And another interview at midday today on BBC R6 Music, The First Time With... Guess he's laying them down while he can :( This one's about where his inflences lie - Stones, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, Bo Diddley, Howlin Wolf, etc, some of the same stories, some different. Loved Dr Feelgood back in the day (and Back In The Night, obv) and they play a few tracks on this.

Man. :undecided:

Yeah, I listened to that yesterday. He is a very interesting guy.

His take on the diagnosis of his death was amazing.

The irony of him getting his day in the sun, just as he's diagnosed with terminal cancer is sad.

A legend.

• 1 year later...

Niiice. Refused chemo, went on massive tour and now cancer free.

Genuine question and not being snarky at all - did you read the article?

I did, possibly not all of it. What's your point?

perhaps that he had radical surgery to get rid of it, your post makes it sound like it cured itself by going on tour :lol:

Haha ok, fair point. Didn't mean for it to sound like that. A story I've followed quite closely, just pleased for the guy.  O0

Yeah, me too! As soon as this was bumped I feared the worst. He had a hell of a lot taken out though.

Haha ok, fair point. Didn't mean for it to sound like that. A story I've followed quite closely, just pleased for the guy.  O0

Yeah, me too! As soon as this was bumped I feared the worst. He had a hell of a lot taken out though.

3kg is insane.

3kg is insane.

I was thinking more about all the organs. I hope his quality of life does not suffer too much.

3kg is insane.

I was thinking more about all the organs. I hope his quality of life does not suffer too much.

As well, but 3kg is quite a large tumour.