VR

Willow

On 03/02/2022 at 09:18, Decky said:

I remember when I was playing Superhot I went to punch someone or whatever it was and completely punched the wall in my house. :lol: Sweat pissing off me and hand in agony, good game though. 

My wife and kids video’d me and played it back. I wish you looked half as cool as you feel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought an Oculus Quest 2. Had a play on one a while back from a mate and was impressed. Really enjoyed the boxing in it, going to try the fitness out and then eventually gaming.

13 hours ago, Mike said:

:lol: Thrill of the fight? That sparring cunt can take a beating, like.

Done 3 rounds this morning. Knocked him down first round thinking it was easy. Then he just kept soaking up the hits. 300 plus punches and 3 rounds later I'm throwing in towel, hunched over and dropping to floor to recover in a sweaty mess of a state!

Love it though, going to try and be more conservative and accurate, throwing as if your peak Manny Pacquio going for the finish fucking ruins you :lol:

4 minutes ago, hakka said:

Done 3 rounds this morning. Knocked him down first round thinking it was easy. Then he just kept soaking up the hits. 300 plus punches and 3 rounds later I'm throwing in towel, hunched over and dropping to floor to recover in a sweaty mess of a state!

Love it though, going to try and be more conservative and accurate, throwing as if your peak Manny Pacquio going for the finish fucking ruins you :lol:

:lol: Absolute granite jaw on that cunt. Didn't realize how far gone I was fitness wise until I tried him on. Fucking hell.

4 minutes ago, hakka said:

There's loads to this that's class. The VR documentaries, visiting real locations, wellbeing stuff, educational, experience etc. - very diverse content. Got so much to try!

The stuff on the hub is pretty cool too, the nature docus and 3d museum stuff.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

The stuff on the hub is pretty cool too, the nature docus and 3d museum stuff.

Just up my parents with my 6 year daughter. My dad did the boxing, he's 69 :lol: - he's a machine and very active, and he games. Loves his COD and Battlefield. He did 1 round and was fucked. He enjoyed it though.

My daughter loves all of the nature and virtual tourism ones so far. 

My mum nearly vomited about 30 seconds in and had to come off it after 2 mins. She kept losing balancing and feeling giddy from it. She was up Mount Everest tbf 🤣

Only day 1 of having it, but impressed. Been a PC gamer and have a PS5, so graphically game with better but this is radically different experience. This is really going to help me with having reason to keep fit. I am going to keep doing that The Thrill of the Fight until I can keep up with harder and longer sessions. I can smash the 1 round easy guy in 30 punches and barely get one back now. Normal mode is winnable but I'm knackered. Not going back to the other bloke yet, fucking hell, I will need to pick my moments and think longer. Those minutes between rounds feel no where near enough!

• 3 weeks later...

Amazed at how well Thrill of the Fight has had an impact on my engagement for fitness. I've gone from collapsing in a heap after 1 x 60 second round, to beating all the fighters on easy and normal modes. The the final fighter, some bloke from Bristol, was such a tough fight. They edge you up to 5 x 3 minute rounds as you progress through each fighter. So it's impressive how in 2 weeks I've gone from not managing 1 minute to sticking out 15. I'm throwing up to 2 punches a second looking at the stats post fight at times. Currently working my way through the endurance mode and done the first 3 fighters. Managed to beat the sparring guy at the start on outclassed mode, but can see this game being a nightmare with some of the fighters later on in the harder modes.

Even if I manage to finish it on all modes, which I suspect will take a while, just doing a 5 x 3 minute fight daily is excellent for the cardio workout. It's very much HIIT in terms 3 minutes of doing your best, then a 1 minute rest. I'm gasping during those round breaks, but love how long term I can make custom fight modes where I can made it as many rounds with any size breaks to ramp up the workout over time.

When doing the normal fights, if you can score 3 knock downs in any round then you win the fight, so if it's round 3 out of 5 and you get 2 knockdowns, the temptation is there to totally gas yourself finding the 3rd to end the fight early. If you fail to find it, fuck me, the 1 minute break until the 4th round isn't enough :lol:

Anyways, great game for £7.99.

7 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

How hard are you throwing punches? I can't imagine throwing hard punches to nothing but air will be anything other than terrible for your joints. Have you managed to get a technique where you're not hyper-extending, and snapping, over and over? 

Always tempted by these games but the demos I've played always frustratingly ignore punches you see connect. Is this one accurate? 

It knows difference in hand speed and power, if I punch hard, fast and connect it does more damage. That said, placement of punches pays off more than power - if you manage both it generally will lead to a knockdown. As I start to tire I naturally start to punch much slower and weaker and it's reflected in the game play. Most of the punches have felt right and connected well, however some of the top fighters on normal mode I found more annoying as it wasn't connecting as much, and I wasn't too sure in the moment why as it looked like it should. The fighters vary in size and defence technique, as well as speed and head movement. So some of it is that, as distancing is and defence changes.

In terms joints - I have no issues overall, but I have noticed a few punches I'm snapping a little (as you're expecting contact) and I did start to feel something joint wise in writs/elbow after a few punches. I did some googling and found a thread on this game which I read about others talking about same risks long term. The consensus was start to learn to throw punches with power driven from your legs and core, and follow the motion through, don't halt it as if it was really hitting something to avoid the snapping. This is specifically to stop that issue you've mentioned, and it's reported to work. To be honest, that's a good thing to learn that technique - as shoulders and arms are taking a battering from this game over time isn't what I want, I want to spread the workout to other muscle groups. Core less so, but I can feel around my back and sides a bit, but shoulders and triceps come off worst. I'm after a cardio workout overall, so rather do the longer and more rounds than focus on swinging my arms at air to the point of injury.

My left arm hooks are terrible in this, didn't realise the difference in power between my arms until I played this game. So looking to improve left arm capability.

I'd say this game is pretty accurate tbf punch wise. Like I say, only handful of fights against top end fighters did it vary but majority of games and across what must be thousands of punches I've felt all went as exepcted.

I've just treat myself to a half decent gaming laptop. First on my list is Half Life: Alyx as i adored Half Life 2 on the original xbox, Do i need to be tethered all the time or does it work through virtual desktop? My current PC is utter dogshit atm so i don't want to go buying things i might not need till it comes the morn :thup:

There's a cord but if your wifi is good enough you can go untethered. I've found that if my laptop is wired to my modem I get much better results.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

There's a cord but if your wifi is good enough you can go untethered. I've found that if my laptop is wired to my modem I get much better results.

aye i've bought a 6m cable off amazon just in case. The laptop i've bought can be hardwired into the router which this piece of shit can't. So i gather its all done through the virtual desktop? i'll have a look at some more videos on youtube the morn. Fuck knows how we ever got by without the tutorials on that thing :lol: 

I forget exactly how it works :lol: But I've got virtual desktop installed. I dunno if I have that for gaming, though. Steam opens up pretty aggressively when I play PCVR games, and the difference is night and day between wired and wireless gaming on there. Even the like anti aliasing or whatnot is way crisper.

:lol: Them jaggy ass straight lines. Steam VR's hub is like this 80's field with lines on the ground. Probably looks badass on an Index but a wireless laptop streaming it to an oculus was Nintendo shit. Soon as I wired up it was lovely.

:lol: I can be like ten feet max away from the laptop, mind.

Subnautica has a VR mod and it's fucking lovely. iirc I had to get something from Nexus mods to get it to work properly, though.