Nigel Adkins sacked. Mauricio Pochettino appointed new Southampton manager

Fenham Mag

Daftest decision since the Hughton sacking (which will take some topping). Looks a very promising manager.

As jdckelly has argued above, this looks a lot worse at first glance. Time will tell if it's a masterstroke or the blunder it currently seems.

:thup:

Gutted for the man, but as others have said he'll not be out of work for long and he has greatly enhanced his reputation in the game.

Hope they crash and burn now though, of course.

:thup: If there weren't more despicable clubs loitering around the bottom, I'd probably want the same.

Just read the chairman's comments. What a cunt :lol: "acknowledge" instead of "thank" plus the same bollocks spiel implying Adkins has hit his glass ceiling.

Guest firetotheworks

You could easily put those posts on N-O with Ashley for Cortez and Hughton for Adkins and would never be able to see the difference. The true football fans are being pushed away for tourists to the game. 

the man left Espanyol bottom in the spanish table, he hardly set the league alight with his managerial ability!

tbf, when he took over Espanyol they were in crisis and bottom of the league....managed to steer them to mid table first season and I think the same in the second season. Espanyol are a team with few resources and have to sell their players. I think he`s a coach with alot of potential but a very risky appointment for Soton.

By the time he gets into the swing of things they will be down. Idiotic.

This is the kind of thing which worries me about Pardew going. Unless we got someone who knew the league and how to hit the ground running then we might have missed our chance to sack him.

I'd be gutted if Pardew went on Monday and we appointed whoever this is, for example.

This is the kind of thing which worries me about Pardew going. Unless we got someone who knew the league and how to hit the ground running then we might have missed our chance to sack him.

I'd be gutted if Pardew went on Monday and we appointed whoever this is, for example.

Aye well that's why I think we have pretty much no choice in sticking with Pardew for now unless there is someone available that is highly likely to have an immediate impact in the short-term(like what Redknapp will do at QPR). Getting a foreign manager in right now for the likes of us or Southampton is suicidial imo.

I would happily see Pardew go if it was Martinez or someone with a good reputation. If Martinez then I think would be worthwhile even in this mess

One year ago Pochettino was linked with the Real Madrid job should Mou leave. His stock has fallen a lot since then but there was a point where he was seen as the next big thing.

I agree it's a risky appointment in these circumstances, but otherwise he could get the job done.

Outstanding work! That should see Southampton below us for the rest of the season.  Is this the same chairman that has previous with the Pardew sacking?

yup, both strange and after positive results (Pards sacked 2 days after 4-0 win) and Pards said he didn't see eye to eye with the chairman

Outstanding work! That should see Southampton below us for the rest of the season.  Is this the same chairman that has previous with the Pardew sacking?

yup, both strange and after positive results (Pards sacked 2 days after 4-0 win) and Pards said he didn't see eye to eye with the chairman

Sounds like a chairman with an ego to match his bank balance and a less than friendly attitude towards managers who may disagree with his take on transfer window dealings.  Of course thats pure speculation and Adkins might have had hid missus or summit, alledgedly.....maybe Pards did the dirty too, that would explain the sackings.

Not sure if mentioned, could be to do with possibley selling a player and Adkins was having none of it ? Just a theory.

I would just like to add the fact they now have a new manager and it could destablise them is like a new signing for us  :shifty: