3-5-2/3-4-3 Its the future and there is no avoiding it.

Guest bimpy474

Guest tollemache

3 at the back is fun, I love Juve's set up and Wigan can be very interesting, but if everyone plays 3-4-3 it'll lose a lot of that as suddenly it'll just be mirroring each other

But if you play it first then you can get to play it best. Mind you when Villa have tried this formation this season they've been gash. Think its the sort of thing you introduce over the summer or when you are set for a mid table finish

Wigan changed to 3-4-3 last season when they were in loads of trouble and their form improved dramatically, to the point where they stuck with it permanently

Villa looked better than usual at the weekend when they used 532 / 3412 versus West Brom.

Meanwhile, the mighty Barca brought in 3-4-3ish shapes with the whole summer to prepare last season and the resulting teething problems cost them the league.

Guest tollemache

Surely it will change again in a couple of years, formation trends never last long do they?

Some do I think... Sacchi's idea of pressing persisted from the mid 80s to the present day. 4231 was a Spanish thing in the late 90s and has just spread and spread

I'm quite happy with Pardew's starting formation of 4-2-3-1 at present, it's the players he picks and the overall message that bothers me. And the speed with which we abandon things I guess.

Yeah not sure this is the time for tactical experimentation. Even if it half-worked and seemed like it could have a future, if we happened to lose it'd provoke a huge shitstorm. Will be interesting to see what happens at Villa, and indeed whether they keep their 532 against us. I don't see why they wouldn't after the weekend, in which case the best thing we can do is play 4-3-3 with Obertan and Jonas and pin their wingbacks back / make them work like dogs.

Villa have been playing 5-3-2 for a while.