Working at summer camps

Steggy

Noticed a few people have mentioned stuff like this before. I'm basically looking to work at a summer camp (preferably coaching football/sport) for roughly a month this summer, would love to do one in USA/Canada but also wouldn't mind doing one in Europe. I've had a look through the internet and found a few things but this is just a thread for people to give some advice and share some experiences, which camps you worked at and how were they, which organisation you went through and shit like that.

Found a class looking one in Hungary, but its volunteering, and ideally i'm looking for one where you get paid so i can cover the cost of my trip. But any suggestions would be great.

Loads of paying jobs at camps in the US/Canada. You should have no trouble finding one. Is there a particular area you'd like to work in? Obviously a camp in upper New York state will be wildly different than one in western Colorado.

I would prefer something closer to cities rather than in the middle of nowhere. Theres a couple areas i'd love to do, Masachusetts (like cape cod area), New York, LA. Near big cities that i can visit as well. I just don't really have a clue about America :lol: What sort of area would you recomend?

I'm teaching soccer (:anguish:) at camp lenox this summer. Emailed the camp directly, getting my visa through CCUSA. They pay considerably more than Camp America btw.

How long you going for? and is this the first time?

I'm teaching soccer (:anguish:) at camp lenox this summer. Emailed the camp directly, getting my visa through CCUSA. They pay considerably more than Camp America btw.

How long you going for? and is this the first time?

The duration of the camp, so mid June to mid August, then travelling with a mate for a few weeks.. And yeah my first time

If you want to be near NYC, there should be plenty of camps in the Catskills region (an hour drive outside the city). Cape Cod is sure to have a few and it's not far from Boston. Camp Lenox is in Massachusetts too. No place in that state is really that far from Boston, or civilization. Looks like a pretty good sized camp too.

Couldn't really tell you much about LA, though if you're interested in California, I'd recommend looking into Northern California. Lake Tahoe is a few hours from San Francisco (much better city than LA) and has some of the best hiking, parks, wildlife, adventure sports in the whole country. And there are sure to be plenty of summer camps around that area. Absolutely stunning in the summer time.

If you want to be near NYC, there should be plenty of camps in the Catskills region (an hour drive outside the city). Cape Cod is sure to have a few and it's not far from Boston. Camp Lenox is in Massachusetts too. No place in that state is really that far from Boston, or civilization. Looks like a pretty good sized camp too.

Couldn't really tell you much about LA, though if you're interested in California, I'd recommend looking into Northern California. Lake Tahoe is a few hours from San Francisco (much better city than LA) and has some of the best hiking, parks, wildlife, adventure sports in the whole country. And there are sure to be plenty of summer camps around that area. Absolutely stunning in the summer time.

Cheers for the help mate. :thup:

:snod:  Where I was.  High Falls, between New Paltz and Kingston.

This is the best advice in this thread.  The New England area is garbage and full of assholes and concrete.  Head to Northern California for absolutely majestic natural beauty.  I'm sure the camps up there would be awesome.

Can you be completely w*** at football and still go? It sounds class like, I just cannot kick a ball any more to save my life, I'm guessing that would be a hindrance.

nar if you're going to a proper football camp you're likely to need coaching qualifications at some level.  Not like your UEFA B license or summat daft but at least junior sports leader awards etc.

At my camp if you wanted to be a lifeguard you had to already have had some form of lifeguard certificate before you went.