Newcastle United vs Chelsea - 02/02/13 at 3pm (not on TV)

Dave

The way Chelsea are lining up, Perch will actually be very important. With one of Oscar/Mata and Bertrand as the wide players, Chelsea will not have much width in their attacking play. They will try to play intricate football in the centre and feed through balls to Ba. It is the perfect match for a dedicated defensive midfielder.

The way Chelsea are lining up, Perch will actually be very important. With one of Oscar/Mata and Bertrand as the wide players, Chelsea will not have much width in their attacking play. They will try to play intricate football in the centre and feed through balls to Ba. It is the perfect match for a dedicated defensive midfielder.

It seems from the two line ups we'll be defending and conceding possession to them from the off. Not sure that's advisable at home, but against Chelsea, Pardew clearly feels the threat from their forwards.

Saylor is a decent Premiership standard centreback at best, and his best was in the first half of last season. He has no outstanding attributes as a centreback, and weaknesses include being deceptively weak in the air, shying away from making a challenge, and backing off far too much. Much like Danny Simpson, he's capable of putting in decent defensive performances, but that usually depends on who the opposition are, i.e. whether the opposition team have players who'll actually run at him or challenge him (if not, he'll have a decent game covering and making simple interceptions).

Saylor is a decent Premiership standard centreback at best, and his best was in the first half of last season. He has no outstanding attributes as a centreback, and weaknesses include being deceptively weak in the air, shying away from making a challenge, and backing off far too much. Much like Danny Simpson, he's capable of putting in decent defensive performances, but that usually depends on who the opposition are, i.e. whether the opposition team have players who'll actually run at him or challenge him (if not, he'll have a decent game covering and making simple interceptions).

Good analysis. Pretty much on the button on all those points.

Would have replaced Taylor, Perch and Jonas with Mbiwa, Anita and Marveaux, but I guess we can call on them late in the game. I just hope Pardew gets the subs and tactics right this time man, it's like amateur hour every week.