Distance learning

Fuzzy

What kind of course are you doing?

didn't realize it got any replies, but im currently on a software development course.

This tiny ignored thread really turned me on to doing an OU course after thinking "maybe one day" for years.

Thinking engineering on an environmental side. At my age it's probably the last chance for a big change. Total reboot :D

Been a graphic designer for approaching 15 years and I'm sick to death of it.

It could actually be possible. Although I'd want to do it quicker than the 6 years for PT. FT is 3ish...but that brings it's own issues.

Some serious thinking to do.

i've opted for the 6 year option. But sure from what i read you can vary each year depending on how you feel by taking more modules.

I'm having a personal crisis at the minute about my career choices. I've moved from job to job since I was 17. Never really spent more than 2 years in one place. I've done all sorts. McDonalds, Estate Agent, Telesales, Kitchen Designer, Betting Shop Manager, Courier. Now I'm back in Kitchens managing my own branch. It's a good job, good money, car. But it bores the shit out of me. It's a mission to get to work and they won't move me to a nearer branch. I've got a new boss too, and I have a feeling he won't be ratifying my promotion which means I'll be back to Assistant Manager, lose a forune and my car. I'm off at the minute as I strained my back, having the time off has given me an opportunity to re-evaluate my life. I spoke to the Doctor about some other issues, I won't go in to them here but suffice to say they are serious enough for her to refer me to a counsellor.

I did start an OU course when I was off work for 18 months looking after my kids. Unfortunately though I chose a course I didn't enjoy and jacked it in after a couple of months. Probably should have given it more of a chance.

I need to find a career that I can feel happy in, and I know that means it has to involve sport in some way. I was thinking sports journalism, but I know from people on here trying to make a career in that how competitive it is. I've done coaching before so maybe some kind of sports development job. There's plenty of courses that I could do to get in to that, but I've got a wife and six kids. I need to pay for them. It's a difficult situation but I know I can't keep doing what I'm doing, I'll end up hating everything and myself in particular.

But, yeah, OU is great.

Yeh, the kids thing is one of the major obstacles.

Thing is...having kids opens up a few options, too. Financial support.

At the end of the day...your country wants you to get higher qualified so you can put back in.

Personally...I feel I need to do this now or I will only hate myself for ever more. You only get one life...better to try and fail than not try at all.

:snod: :thup:

Done a lot of trying. Pretty sure I've had my fair share of failing. About time something went right for me.

Right now I'm toying with going back to work in the bookies on a part-time basis and fitting it around studying. I think a sports development/coaching degree would be the most suitable. Probably left it late to get in for September though as I'll have to do some sort of pre-course to get in, unless they really take pitty on me.

OU doesn't really have much on offer for sports courses. I've got one of the best sport and education univiersities less than two miles away from me so I really should make an effort to go there. I'll definitely need to do some sort of course first though. I'll get an application in though, just in case they feel generous.

Studied with the OU, gained 120 points thinking I've got my HNC in Business but, as it turned out, one 60 point course that I did didn't, for some reason, count towards my HNC certificate, therefore I've only got a "Certificate" now.

Pissed me off as I spent nearly a grand on getting a HNC (and later on HND and BA). But now I've been totally dis-motivated by that.

Apart from that, studying with the OU was very good. :thup:

I'm doing a portuguese course here in Sweden for my Economics bachelor. (30credits, Bachelor is 180credit) Reason for this is I speak fluently portuguese, but never learned to write it in a formal manner and therefore have chosen to do my Bachelor in Business and Economics with portuguese language as a sidekick or w/e it's called.

I did a 2 year Part Time Uni Course (3 modules per year)

Lived in Newcastle and traveled to Kingston 3 times a year - twice for reading weeks where we did intensive lessons and once for exams.

Was cheaper to live at home and travel down south couple times a year than move to London for an entire year.

Benefits are you have s*** loads of free time - shame all i did was play xbox and sleep HAHA

But trust me you need a lot motivation but Distance Learning is deffo the way forward and normally the best thing about (PT) distance learning is that if something happens and you need to lower your work load you just carry over your modules over the next couple years or take a break all together (Well thats how it was on my course).

Good Luck with your studies.

I've been thinking about doing a degree. I'm not sure whether to do an Master's in education or English, which'd be good for my job, or a Bachelor's CS degree, which is what really interests me.

I have next to no interest in doing an English/education degree other than for job opportunities, but none of the distance learning CS degrees particularly appeal to me, either. Any course that's 100% Java makes me very skeptical of its quality.

I've been thinking about doing a degree. I'm not sure whether to do an Master's in education or English, which'd be good for my job, or a Bachelor's CS degree, which is what really interests me.

I have next to no interest in doing an English/education degree other than for job opportunities, but none of the distance learning CS degrees particularly appeal to me, either. Any course that's 100% Java makes me very skeptical of its quality.

Me too.

Computer Science is quite theoretical and abstract anyway though, I wouldn't expect it to make you practically brilliant at any particular programming language. Unless you have previous knowledge or a real knack for it.

It's the theory I'm after.

I can already program reasonably well in a few languages, but when I try things like Project Euler, I realise I don't have any of the underlying theoretical (mathematical) knowledge, and I come up with entirely pathological solutions.

Also, when it comes to programming itself, there are so many important things that you just can't do in Java. It's too high-level and too low-level at the same time.