Match fixing scandal?

themanupstairs

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews

Police uncover criminal conspiracy which has fixed 380 European matches involving 425 corrupt officials and players in 15 countries #ssn

Guardian sport ‏@guardian_sport

Europol: investigators identify 380 football matches fixed across Europe and 425 corrupt officials, players and criminals

Match-fixing: Champions League tie played in England 'was fixed'

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 380 matches across Europe investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

At a news conference in The Hague, Netherlands, Europol claimed:

- The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in "last three or four years";

- The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";

- Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";

- In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits

- Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol - the European Union's law enforcement agency, said:"This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.

"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.

"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network."

Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".

In addition to the £13.8m wagered on Germany-based matches, payments of £1.73m are thought to have been paid to those involved. The biggest payment to an individual was £121,000, according to investigators.

Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Asia was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe. It believes match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.

In total, 30 countries and close to 700 matches worldwide were examined. Many of the allegations involved matches in lower divisions around Europe.

Criminal convictions have been secured in Germany, Finland, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria following investigations.

Asked specifically about the allegations surrounding the Champions League tie held in England, Wainwright declined to identify the match because of "ongoing judicial proceedings".

However he did say it happened in the last three to four years, before adding: "The focus has been on other countries, not the United Kingdom. However we were surprised by the scale generally of the criminal enterprise and just how widespread it was.

"It would be naive and complacent of those in the UK to think such a criminal conspiracy does not involve the English game and all the football in Europe."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

Guest Craig-NUFC

Probably NOWAT for now. Maybe will get its own thread in time when more details emerge?

Police uncover criminal conspiracy which has fixed 380 European matches involving 425 corrupt officials and players in 15 countries #ssn

Europol: investigators identify 380 football matches fixed across Europe and 425 corrupt officials, players and criminals

The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in "last three or four years";

The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";

Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";

In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits

Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Probably NOWAT for now. Maybe will get its own thread in time when more details emerge?

The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in "last three or four years";

The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";

Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";

In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits

Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg".

Probably involves a shit ton of lower league teams.

Guess not.  :lol:

Think this deserves a thread really, it looks like it's going to be pretty major.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

It'll be throwing the odd goal in England, and Eng teams in the PL. I can't imagine it being whole matches - Far too much money involved in CL for teams with hopes of winning it to be throwing games, surely?

http://assets.lfcimages.com/uploads/pepe_reina_501fc381bd635853741509.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/15/article-2026364-0D6E374800000578-240_468x311.jpg

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/De-Gea.jpg

http://blog.galvintan.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/gea_1359707a.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/03/article-0-0F4E56AE00000578-39_468x286.jpg

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Most likely the last game of a group stage after qualification had already been sorted out.

Aye most likely, it probably won't be as bad as being made out. Still bad mind but the media has a thing about creating drama.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but any match fixing, regardless of what level, is serious and just as bad as it's being made out.

Most likely the last game of a group stage after qualification had already been sorted out.

Aye most likely, it probably won't be as bad as being made out. Still bad mind but the media has a thing about creating drama.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but any match fixing, regardless of what level, is serious and just as bad as it's being made out.

Aye i agree what i'm saying is imagine if the CL final was fixed? that would be well beyond serious.

Aye i agree what i'm saying is imagine if the CL final was fixed? that would be well beyond serious.

Absolutely irrelevant on how big the game is IMO although the bigger the better in terms of publicity and people getting done in this instance.

Absolutely irrelevant on how big the game is IMO although the bigger the better in terms of publicity and people getting done in this instance.

Exactly :thup:

Guest chicken little

Yeah, remember that being discussed at the time in regards to match fixing.

Check out the highlights on a popular website of your choice and prepare to be amazed.