Interrailing

ponsaelius

A friend of mine did it and said it was an amazing experience. I get the impressions its something you'd only do once though.

I've done it twice :lol: it's f***ing class.

I recommend our first route which was Amsterdam->Berlin->Prague->Krakow->Budapest. You can't go wrong. Trains are regular, too. Spent £750 for 13 days (incl. flights, interrail pass, accomodation and spending money). I attach this message I sent to someone regarding this before.

Berlin - Absolutely unbelievable place. If you are wanting somewhere to chill-out, have some beers and go to some class clubs then this is a good choice. It was 3 years ago so I've forgotten the names of where we went but I just absolutely loved it. I remember walking down one street with a mexican tequila bar, an anti-capitalist nightclub (complete with fire breathing dragons on the ceiling), a shisha bar and a f***ing ice bar. The place is mental provided you go to the right places.

Only drawback is that it's pretty big so check out www.hostelworld.co.uk and find a good party/lively hostel and you'll have no problems finding the nightlife. They love their beer too and there are some really cool things to see during the day (berlin wall, brandenburg gate, checkpoint charlie etc etc). My favourite big city.

Budapest - Absolutely stunning city. Probably the most amazing in the world in terms of it's compactness. Parliament/castle/river/baths/market all near the centre. If you go, then

stay here - http://www.lofthostel.hu/ - they sit you down and tell you all the good stuff to do (and come out with you), class hostel

go here - http://www.szechenyibath.com/

There's about 5 open-air nightclubs which are amazing, can't remember the names of them but they are pretty famous. Also, the place is DIRT cheap. We were drinking pints of good beer for 60p a few years back and food/accomodation/travel is cheap as f***. Women are... amazing.

Krakow - Again, class city. Really good fun. A lot of stag parties go but that shouldn't put you off. Again it's pretty cheap and there are tons of clubs and bars (was only there for a couple nights and it was stuff organised by the hostel so can't remember the names).

We went here and they ploughed us with vodka and took us out, nae idea what happened - http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Greg-and-Tom-Party-Hostel/Krakow/35593

Women are amazing too.

Went again last summer there to Nice->Monaco->Bologna->Venice->Munich->Novalja (hideout festival island)->Pula

Croatia is an absolutely stunning place, seriously. It's a bit trickier to travel in (Novalja had one boat a day to get off the island at 6am, miss it and you're f***ed... for a day). If you like partying where the sun in shining and the water is so clear it looks like the boats are levitating - go to Zrce Beach.

Novalja

524114_10150909304871453_680638875_n.jpg

Pula

376825_10150909309776453_849123829_n.jpg

If you want to save cash - I recommend anywhere Eastern.

reckon I've convinced at least 20 people to do it, and only one didn't enjoy it but she's a posh girl who made her daddy pay for 5-star hotels because she didn't like the hostels.

my only reservation would be: safety.

The only trouble I've ever had was on the bus from Manchester to Glasgow. It's a myth.

A friend of mine did it and said it was an amazing experience. I get the impressions its something you'd only do once though.

I've done it twice :lol: it's f***ing class.

I recommend our first route which was Amsterdam->Berlin->Prague->Krakow->Budapest. You can't go wrong. Trains are regular, too. Spent £750 for 13 days (incl. flights, interrail pass, accomodation and spending money). I attach this message I sent to someone regarding this before.

Berlin - Absolutely unbelievable place. If you are wanting somewhere to chill-out, have some beers and go to some class clubs then this is a good choice. It was 3 years ago so I've forgotten the names of where we went but I just absolutely loved it. I remember walking down one street with a mexican tequila bar, an anti-capitalist nightclub (complete with fire breathing dragons on the ceiling), a shisha bar and a f***ing ice bar. The place is mental provided you go to the right places.

Only drawback is that it's pretty big so check out www.hostelworld.co.uk and find a good party/lively hostel and you'll have no problems finding the nightlife. They love their beer too and there are some really cool things to see during the day (berlin wall, brandenburg gate, checkpoint charlie etc etc). My favourite big city.

Budapest - Absolutely stunning city. Probably the most amazing in the world in terms of it's compactness. Parliament/castle/river/baths/market all near the centre. If you go, then

stay here - http://www.lofthostel.hu/ - they sit you down and tell you all the good stuff to do (and come out with you), class hostel

go here - http://www.szechenyibath.com/

There's about 5 open-air nightclubs which are amazing, can't remember the names of them but they are pretty famous. Also, the place is DIRT cheap. We were drinking pints of good beer for 60p a few years back and food/accomodation/travel is cheap as f***. Women are... amazing.

Krakow - Again, class city. Really good fun. A lot of stag parties go but that shouldn't put you off. Again it's pretty cheap and there are tons of clubs and bars (was only there for a couple nights and it was stuff organised by the hostel so can't remember the names).

We went here and they ploughed us with vodka and took us out, nae idea what happened - http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Greg-and-Tom-Party-Hostel/Krakow/35593

Women are amazing too.

Went again last summer there to Nice->Monaco->Bologna->Venice->Munich->Novalja (hideout festival island)->Pula

Croatia is an absolutely stunning place, seriously. It's a bit trickier to travel in (Novalja had one boat a day to get off the island at 6am, miss it and you're f***ed... for a day). If you like partying where the sun in shining and the water is so clear it looks like the boats are levitating - go to Zrce Beach.

Novalja

524114_10150909304871453_680638875_n.jpg

Pula

376825_10150909309776453_849123829_n.jpg

If you want to save cash - I recommend anywhere Eastern.

Cheers TJ, sounds great. Think I'd love to do more Eastern Europe, already been to a lot of major European cities and done most of Italy with the family. A lot of places I wouldn't mind doing again like, since I was so young at the time.

France and Italy were suffocatingly expensive in parts, too. Think I'm gonna do a single country tour of Croatia next, before it goes to the Euro (although that may be this year).

Where you thinking of sewelly? Rough route?

Honestly hadn't even had a look yet, only decided yesterday that it was a good idea. That's why I was interested in suggestions.

Agree with the comments about the prices in Eastern Europe too, we had hardly eaten for a couple of days so when we were in a little town in Romania (Sighisoara, home of Vlad the Impaler) we thought we'd splash out on a meal, got starters, three pizzas, desserts and drinks, the bill seriously came to about eight quid, I felt embarrassed. :lol:

The above post makes me want to go now.

Lets dee it.

Divn't yous 2 kna each other?

Anyway how do people go about doing stuff like this? Do you just collect a grand or so up and just book the flight/train or what?

I've always wanted to just pack up and fuck off abroad for a while but never thought it genuinely possible for whatever reason. Seen a few people do it on here though, MW, WBCP for example have talked about similar.

If you're going for ages - no need to plan too much. Go with the flow, get tips from people you meet.

If, like me, you have a time limit - plan it all. Means you don't waste time looking for hostels while away. First time I booked start/end flights, train seat reservations, hostels all in advance. Optimises the time you have.

If this is what I think it is (which it might not be, I just had a railpass good for the EU), it's how I got around europe in 2006 and it was f***ing amazing. I went solo and f***ing loved it, a few times I just switched countries based on a rumor or whatever, and if I got stuck without a place to stay I just took an overnight train to some other nation. Was an amazing experience and I covered ground from Ireland to Sweden to Spain in six weeks. f***ing ace, really.

we did North Shields - Amsterdam - Berlin - Prague - Krakow - Vienna - Milan - Barcelona - Amsterdam.

got a steak and proper steak cut chips with a pint of Zywiec for a fiver in Krakow.  Tipped the waitress about a fiver and she absolutely loved us.  Ended up gathering some of her mates and came out on the piss with us that night :thup:  Stay in the Orange Hostel, it's mint.

Proper loved Berlin, want to go back as I don't think we managed to fit everything in.  Prague you can see in about a day but it's mint because it's so fucking cheap.

I've done it, it's mint.

I went Barcelona - Nice - Pisa - Rome - Sorrento - Bari - Athens - Vienna - Prague with lots of trips for a day and stays on night trains in between. Fucking great.

That sounds class. I'd love to do something like that.

Places I went it felt like I was paying additional fees for every train journey. Might as well have just bought tickets outright. Saying that, we didnt travel every other day, and we were in Spain/France/Netherlands, rather than nice cheaper Eastern European venues.