What should this squad be capable of?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Following on from the Pardew thread tonight, if we magically started a new season with this squad (ie no changes whatsoever from how it is today) where do you think it should be finishing in the Premier League? As in a par finish, taking into account the quality and depth of the first team, substitutes and emergency cover/youngsters. Allowing for a normal level of injuries and suspensions. I've left out the extremes of going for the title or expecting a full-on scrap to stay in the division for obvious reasons.

Put simply, I'm interested in where people believe Pardew 'should' have us in the league, as opposed to where we actually are or will be. The expectations of this squad, as it is right now.

Everton have Heitinga, Naismith, Anichebe and Neville getting a fair few games.

Spurs have Defoe and a man who now has a contract up front.

Not convinced you need a world-beating 22 to challenge IMO.

Europa League. Still lack the depth to push for anything more. Europa league if we got hot, and didn't play up or down depending on opposition.

This - too many weaknesses in key positions as the squad currently stands. Keep the same squad, add a striker and a winger with pace and Top 4 is possible....but only under a good manager.

Pardew should still be getting this squad into Europa League spots.

Europa League. Still lack the depth to push for anything more. Europa league if we got hot, and didn't play up or down depending on opposition.

This - too many weaknesses in key positions as the squad currently stands. Keep the same squad, add a striker and a winger with pace and Top 4 is possible....but only under a good manager.

Pardew should still be getting this squad into Europa League spots.

Injury and suspension free could see us push higher but this is Newcastle won't happen unless we strengthen - Europa should be minimum aim and/or a cup or two before I die

I think we have the talent to be equivalent to be equivalent to Everton and Liverpool meaning that we should challenge for European qualification if the season progresses properly. The Manchesters and Chelsea are much better than us. The North Londoners are both more talented and deeper, imo. Below that, there are a group of about five clubs that are will occasionally be well-run enough or spend well enough to compete also, but will not be able to maintain this because they lack the funds or prestige.

Our goal should be to further stratify the table. We need to be aiming for at least top-seven the next two seasons with what we have at our disposal. Assuming survival this season, if Pardew does not look capable of this by November, he should be sacked.

Strength of the league is piss poor. Top one for me.

This. We challenged for CL last season with an inferior squad. On paper, this squad should be capable of the same.

Still need another forward and perhaps a true wide player, however.

It depends on whether we would forgo the Europa League by just sending reserves out.  If we just focus on league like what we did last season we could and should be top4.  However if we don't do so then I could see us finishing 6-8. Several positions are still lack of quality cover and say an injury to Cisse would bring us big trouble already.

In fact I strongly believe we should give up Europa League next season. We need CL to raise our status and wealth in order to attract more quality players, instead of dragging back by the Europa League.