What did the pope say to the cardinal?

indi

First to resign since Gregory in the 15th century (1415 I think).

It seems very strange - wonder if it's just ill health or if there's something more to it?

I'm surprised by that, I assumed that there would have been loads of them resign over things such as illness.

It seems very strange - wonder if it's just ill health or if there's something more to it?

I'm surprised by that, I assumed that there would have been loads of them resign over things such as illness.

His statement said it was because of illness.

I think what usually happens when a Pope gets old is he really just becomes a figure head and the day to day job is done by a bunch of cardinals but I might be wrong. Perhaps he feels it'd be better suited for a younger man to take over.

EDIT: Its quite a big deal to resign so I can understand why others haven't done so before. I imagine its not an easy decision to make.

Think Dracula had an aversion to garlic.

Guest icemanblue

I like the way he has to clarify "No, no, it's not because I feel bad about all the evil, wicked shit we've done, I'm just poorly! Don't get it twisted."

:lol: 'N***a ahm serrrrhus, n***a ahm so sinsairrr.'

His statement said it was because of illness.

I think what usually happens when a Pope gets old is he really just becomes a figure head and the day to day job is done by a bunch of cardinals but I might be wrong. Perhaps he feels it'd be better suited for a younger man to take over.

EDIT: Its quite a big deal to resign so I can understand why others haven't done so before. I imagine its not an easy decision to make.

looking it up theres been very few who have actually resigned (and I was unaware you could resign until today, I assumed you had it for life) and while it was put into Vatican law that a pope could resign (which he then took advantage of) it is very rare so weight of precedent could have stopped many resigning.

Think he's resigning where 100 years ago or so he wouldn't because of the amount of travel he has to take which is a recent thing. I imagine travelling as much as he has would take it out of you when your 85 or so.

Think that instead of all the usual rigmarole of choosing the new one with everyone waiting for the white smoke , they should just put Simon Cowell in charge of the selection. They could call it "Pope Idol".

I'll get my coat..

Think that instead of all the usual rigmarole of choosing the new one with everyone waiting for the white smoke , they should just put Simon Cowell in charge of the selection. They could call it "Pope Idol".

I'll get my coat..

Few years too late I'm afraid. Been done: