Metalist Kharkiv vs Newcastle United - 21/02/13 @ 6pm GMT (Live on ESPN)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Becomes a big dilemma for Pardew now, with a huge home game less than three days after this ~4,000 mile round trip. Does he pick a side/squad as strong as tonight and go all out for the next round of the EL, or is that too risky concerning injuries ahead of four very winnable games and the rest of the season?

Genuinely not sure myself.

Southampton is more important, imo. Play the reserves + first team players in need of match fitness.

So we're effectively waving the white flag? They're nowt special but easily capable of beating our crappier players on their own turf. They'll be delighted tonight.

Guest palnese

Southampton is more important, imo. Play the reserves + first team players in need of match fitness.

So we're effectively waving the white flag? They're nowt special but easily capable of beating our crappier players on their own turf. They'll be delighted tonight.

Pretty much. We're still not out of the woods yet, and I don't want to risk our place in the top flight for a tournament we're most likely not going to win.

But yeah, it's a massive dilemma.

as i put in the other thread. Just can't see us risking the first team, or he will play the first team and use it as an excuse for us as to why we lose to Southampton.

Elliot/Krul

Simpson        Mbiwa            Williamson      Haiidara

Anita            Perch

Obertan                  Marveaux            Sammy/Jonas

Shola

Sort of team i'd put out on Fifa or Pes when everyone's energy runs out or something :) It was win tonight or bust really and we were very unlucky not to be taking a lead there tonight.

Hate this attitude. We keep dreaming of Europe all last season and then just throw it away. Pick as strong team as possible but not risking anyone who's had minor knocks.

Pretty much. We're still not out of the woods yet, and I don't want to risk our place in the top flight for a tournament we're most likely not going to win.

But yeah, it's a massive dilemma.

This season.

I'd accept something like:

Krul

Mbiwa      Taylor          Coloccini    Haidara

Tiote Anita

Obertan              Marv                    Gouffran

Cisse                     

Ben Arfa off the bench for 20 if he's fit.

Krul

Tiote Anita

Cisse                     

don't even think ben arfa will travel if he has a chance of the bench for southampton.

We really needed to win by a couple of goals tonight so we could comfortably send a weakened team over there to hopefully hold on. Unfortunately we've had that opportunity taken away from us and we need to send a full strength team over there if we want to win the tie.

Krul

Tiote Anita

Cisse                     

I assume you're taking the piss with Gouffran?

Hope he puts a decent side out and not be so timid in their attitudes towards the match. We're better ffs and we score and the tie completely changes.

Get the feeling we'll go over there feeling sorry for ourselves because of events tonight.

It's a very tough decision for Pardew because that Southampton game could be massive. Lose it and we are right back in the shit potentially which creates a pressure on remaining games. Plus Southampton are looking a very decent team now and could beat us even if our whole team was well rested. Plus the fact our first 11 could quite easily go there and lose anyway if we have more shit decisions against us. Tough call.