Russia invades Ukraine

BlufPurdi

It's more likely to fill the gaps.  80,000 dead or wounded, people deserting and desperate to get out, soldiers refusing to fight, contracts ending.  They don't have the logistical capability to just march 300k more into Ukraine.

29 minutes ago, Decky said:

300k extra troops ffs. I wonder if he is planning to push for Kyiv again?

No chance. They spent many of their best soldiers and armour in that attempt, and Kyiv wasn't even well prepared for it. I think they'll prepare over winter for a big push early next year to take Donbas and then declare victory, but it will fail for the same reasons the invasion has failed so far.

31 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

It's 300k untrained troops against battle hardened Ukrainians who are fighting for their families lives and country. I personally think it'll be a bloodbath. 

Didn't want to "like" this but agree 100%.

3 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

It's 300k untrained troops against battle hardened Ukrainians who are fighting for their families lives and country. I personally think it'll be a bloodbath. 

Motivation edge is clear but I think the western world are thinking a bit too highly about the average Ukrainian soldier. Basically every interview with Finns that have been fighting there that I’ve read have said that they are not that well trained and doing pretty basic errors like using cellphones on the trenches while standing up etc. Last interview I read said that the Finnish guy left after he got slightly injured when some Russian scout patrol got through to their camp at night without anyone noticing and he felt like he couldn’t trust the professionality of his comrades in the Ukrainian unit.

Obviously they’ll have their elite forces and veterans from the eastern Ukraine but not all of them are prime Rambos.

I didn’t mean to belittle Ukraine and the amazing job they have done so far defending their country but we have to remember that we get all of our coverage of the war from the Ukrainians and western media. War propaganda is a thing for both sides.

Edited by Pata

1 hour ago, Pata said:

I didn’t mean to belittle Ukraine and the amazing job they have done so far defending their country but we have to remember that we get all of our coverage of the war from the Ukrainians and western media. War propaganda is a thing for both sides.

I don't think anyone thinks that every Ukranian soldier is a Rambo but it does seem that when it comes to military skills they seem to have the better of it over the Russians.

Ukraine surely just have a massive advantage in terms of numbers. Russia might have a big army but Ukraine have almost the entire adult male population of the country at their disposal, that's about 15 million people.

3 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Ukraine surely just have a massive advantage in terms of numbers. Russia might have a big army but Ukraine have almost the entire adult male population of the country at their disposal, that's about 15 million people.

But untrained. Like Russias reservists being called up. Professional fighting capability (plus Western hardware), the Ukrainians have this but Russia has WWII tactics in their arsenal, "we can lose millions more than you".

Be interesting how the stories of protests about mobilisation play out in reality.

1 minute ago, madras said:

But untrained. Like Russias reservists being called up. Professional fighting capability (plus Western hardware), the Ukrainians have this but Russia has WWII tactics in their arsenal, "we can lose millions more than you".

Be interesting how the stories of protests about mobilisation play out in reality.

It wasn't just about men on the front the mobilisation of the Soviet population into arms manufacturing, churning out an inexhaustible supply of T-34s etc. was just as important. The Russian army reportedly has shortages of arms and equipment, more soldiers isn't going to solve that.

I doubt we're going to see more Russians in Ukraine than before, and definitely not 300k of them.  They've lost so many already, that these reservists will be there just to replace the dead, deserted, and injured.

8 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

It wasn't just about men on the front the mobilisation of the Soviet population into arms manufacturing, churning out an inexhaustible supply of T-34s etc. was just as important. The Russian army reportedly has shortages of arms and equipment, more soldiers isn't going to solve that.

This is the issue the russians have.  Ukraine basically have NATO supplying them and sorting out logistics.  Russia don't have the capability to complete with that.  If Russia want to win this war they need to switch their industry to that of WW2 where the primary focus for the manufacturing sector is producing arms.  Ukraine will win and recapture all land provided Putin doesn't use Nuclear weapons.

47 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

This is the issue the russians have.  Ukraine basically have NATO supplying them and sorting out logistics.  Russia don't have the capability to complete with that.  If Russia want to win this war they need to switch their industry to that of WW2 where the primary focus for the manufacturing sector is producing arms.  Ukraine will win and recapture all land provided Putin doesn't use Nuclear weapons.

Said it before, I think NATO is content to let this run until Russia bankrupts itself again. Enough support to keep things ticking over, not enough involvement to provoke Russia. 

53 minutes ago, Nattfare said:

A former rector of Russia’s Moscow Aviation Institute has died from "falling down a flight of stairs inside the institute."

I hope these Russian fellas have accidental cover, very clumsy lot they are.