Russia invades Ukraine

BlufPurdi

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Meanwhile they have an ICBM called Satan that they like to threaten the world with.

That's the NATO name for it.  The Russian name is Сармат which was a warrior tribe.

I would bet a lot of them are convicts, they’re being promised freedom for 6 months service. Though it sounds like the army is taking over from Wagner there now.

Apparently even if they take Bakhmut, if they lose further north around Kremmina, they’ll just end up getting flanked. They will have lost thousands of men for nothing but a headline.

All this for a town that had a population of 10k before the war. I know they’re trying to cut off supply to Bakhmut, but that is also of little importance. Maybe they’re trying to suck Ukrainian resources away from more important areas.

The Russian’s claim to have destroyed 4 Bradley’s already, before any have even arrived in the country. That can be filed alongside their 210% success rate against HIMAR’s.

On 13/01/2023 at 15:38, Kimbo said:

All this for a town that had a population of 10k before the war. I know they’re trying to cut off supply to Bakhmut, but that is also of little importance. Maybe they’re trying to suck Ukrainian resources away from more important areas.

It’s a mining town isn’t it?

I’m not sure what they mine, it could just coal which would be for power generation, or it could be for more valuable materials.

16 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m not sure what they mine, it could just coal which would be for power generation, or it could be for more valuable materials.

It’s just salt mines I think. We’ll see what happens, both sides are preparing for a big spring when the ground hardens.

10 hours ago, Stifler said:

Think I read somewhere that's it's the layout of the mines that make it strategically attractive to the Russians- easily accessible openings and they run for miles. Good place to use as a base/ammo dump. One suggestion was that they could drive their tanks under/behind the front lines then pincer Ukraines troops but to me (who knows very little about military stuff in fairness) that sounds like the sort of fanciful that plan Wile E Coyote would dream up.

It feels like an attempt to convince the Russian public they’re under attack, they’ve always tried to frame this as a defensive war. We (wrongly) won’t even give Ukraine missiles that can go 300km, never mind anything that can reach Moscow.