Sydney

bowlingcrofty

Heading down there in December for New Year and then the Ashes Test March. Just looking for a bit of travel advice.

The best i've seen in terms of flights is a return on Asiana Airlines from Heathrow, £900 quid return (1 stop in Seoul). Any cheaper out there? Tried Emirates from the Toon but a rip off over new year.

Also, what's the best area to stay in? Had Darlinghurst and CBD mentioned to me, any others? Had a scout round for prices and for two of us it actually looks like it's much cheaper to stay in a rented apartment rather than a central hotel.

Cheers.

The flights are always in and around 900 every time I've looked. I don't think you'll get much cheaper than that.

I'd agree with Garth and say The North Shore is probably the nicest place to stay. I wouldn't really want to stay in the CBD permanently as it's a bit too busy for me really but if you were going that route, get somewhere close to Circular Quay as the views down there are just magic. The Rocks is also one of my favourite places to eat out and go for a drink.

Bondi is far too crowded and the beach is absolutely packed 24/7. Manly is a much nicer beach and while it's still busy it's not as bad.

Try going to trailfinders or sta travel for flights. I would get a hotel around Circular Quay/Darling Harbour and then check gumtree to find an apartment to rent when you get there. Manly and Double Bay are very nice

No idea if it's still the case, but the best deal used to be Japan Airlines, with a stopover in a Japanese city. Took you a little out of the way, but it was cheap, and you could spend a day or more in Japan if you fancied it.

I'd say North Shore or Circular Quay if you can do it. Manly would be great, but possibly expensive. There's a really good suburban rail network if you find a place to stay further out, but the Northern Suburbs are much nicer. Definitely avoid going too far west, the Western Suburbs go on for ever.

Do the Coogee to Bondi cliftop walk. It's about 4 miles and absolutely gorgeous. It'll take you through  Clovelly, Bronte and somewhere else beginning with T that I can't remember.

If you're looking for somewhere to stay - I stayed at a guesthouse above a pub just 5 mins from the Rocks, Circular Quay and the Harbour Bridge. I e-mailed them and they did me a reduced rate for 2 weeks. Clean, decent rooms, communal relaxed lounge and a fantastic location. It's nerly 8 years since I was there so I'm not sure whether the prices have gone mad but at the time it was an absolutely hidden gem.

http://www.australianheritagehotel.com/

Oh and do the Bridge climb, either at sunrise or sunset. And go to the Blue Mountains. And the Hunter Valley.

• 5 months later...
Guest neesy111

All booked up for this now. Anyone ever done NYE in Sydney? What's it like to see the fireworks? 1.5m people there, is it easy enough to get a vantage point?

Need to buy a ticket to be around the harbour.

All booked up for this now. Anyone ever done NYE in Sydney? What's it like to see the fireworks? 1.5m people there, is it easy enough to get a vantage point?

No booze allowed :undecided: you can't take any in with you and can only buy from the endless queues in designated bars.

There's a shit ton of parks you can go to that have a perfect view of the bridge and that you can also drink in. We went to Birchgrove Park last year and this is the view:

http://media.au.timeout.com/contentFiles/image/sydney/venues/aroundtown/birchgrove-park-482x298.jpg

When you're actually there, it seems really close. The City is far too packed.

No booze allowed :undecided: you can't take any in with you and can only buy from the endless queues in designated bars.

Had a look online and there seems a fair few where you can take beer in like.

There's a shit ton of parks you can go to that have a perfect view of the bridge and that you can also drink in. We went to Birchgrove Park last year and this is the view:

http://media.au.timeout.com/contentFiles/image/sydney/venues/aroundtown/birchgrove-park-482x298.jpg

When you're actually there, it seems really close. The City is far too packed.

Cheers Froggy, I take it the boat rides are just one masive con then? If I turn up on the day with nothing booked will I be ok?

I'd recommend doing the boat ride around the harbour though, just on a different day. You can get this package for like $100 where you get to Madam Tussauds, the sky tower, aquarium and free boat taxis all day. It'll take the full day to do it all and it's well worth it.

If you go to the likes of Birchgrove park on NYE though then yeah you can just show up unannounced. I'd say there was about 2000 people there when we went and it wasn't even a quarter full. We poured our drinks into plastic bottles as we heard a rumour it would be taken off you if you didn't, but we got there and there wasn't any security at all. :lol: Just a chippy van and a row of portaloos.

It was great day there, and that's where I'll go again this year.

Had a look online and there seems a fair few where you can take beer in like.

Not in the CBD/circular quays/darling harbour area. It's all sectioned off and bag checks on way in (bombs, etc).

I'd recommend doing the boat ride around the harbour though, just on a different day. You can get this package for like $100 where you get to Madam Tussauds, the sky tower, aquarium and free boat taxis all day. It'll take the full day to do it all and it's well worth it.

If you go to the likes of Birchgrove park on NYE though then yeah you can just show up unannounced. I'd say there was about 2000 people there when we went and it wasn't even a quarter full. We poured our drinks into plastic bottles as we heard a rumour it would be taken off you if you didn't, but we got there and there wasn't any security at all. :lol: Just a chippy van and a row of portaloos.

It was great day there, and that's where I'll go again this year.

Brilliant, i'll check it out. Ideally we'd probably want somewhere where we can rock up at like 8pm and chill to watch the fireworks. We arrive on 30th so with jetlag and whatnot the 31st will be our first day to look about.

Stu, i take it you have friends in good placees then ;)

I wouldn't necessarily say you could "chill" in Birchgrove Park. Everyone is smashed pretty early on and it turns into a bit of a party. We brought speakers and blasted music, which everyone appreciated. It was 90% backpackers so 18-30 year olds.

I've no idea what age you are so just giving a heads up!

• 2 months later...