Steve Carney

samag

Best wishes.

FYI...

Stephen "Steve" Carney (born 22 September 1957 in Wallsend) is an English former professional footballer who played in the Football League as a defender for Newcastle United, Carlisle United, Darlington, Rochdale and Hartlepool United.[1] Carney joined Newcastle United in October 1979 from Blyth Spartans for a fee of £1,000, made his debut on 1 December in a 2–0 win against Fulham in the Second Division, and left the club in 1985 on a free transfer to Darlington

Hard as nails and fast as lightening is my recollection of him.

Good bloke

He was a decent defender for somebody who came from the lower leagues.  Christ, we were in the shit during those days when we had him, Shoulder and Cartwright all coming into the same side from non-league football.

Best wishes to him, never realised he was a Wallsend lad, thought he was from up Blyth way.  did he ever play for us in Div one?  think I can remember him getting some games in the promotion season?

Best wishes to him, never realised he was a Wallsend lad, thought he was from up Blyth way.  did he ever play for us in Div one?  think I can remember him getting some games in the promotion season?

He scored the winner at Leicester in our first game back in the First Division. United are back, United are back....what a day that was!

All the best to him.

He scored the winner at Leicester in our first game back in the First Division. United are back, United are back....what a day that was!

All the best to him.

was there that game, could only remember David Mcreerys goal, just thinking there, he probs played until we signed roeder as CB.

edit, he must have signed for us after Blyths cup run in 78? that had 40 odd thousand at Sjp.

Very likeable lad and popular with the crowd because of his uncompromising style.

Seem to remember he worked at the airport as a baggage handler during his non league days prior to signing for NUFC. Don't suppose that will ever happen again.

Good luck and all the best Stevie lad !!

was there that game, could only remember David Mcreerys goal, just thinking there, he probs played until we signed roeder as CB.

I would have rather kept Carney than Roeder, who I couldn't stand.  Roeder was called "a cultured defender," I couldn't stand the way he would grab hold of opposition players and his shuffle was embarrassing, cultured my arse.

edit, he must have signed for us after Blyths cup run in 78? that had 40 odd thousand at Sjp.

Shoulder and Carney both signed after the FA Cup run.

I would have rather kept Carney than Roeder, who I couldn't stand.  Roeder was called "a cultured defender," I couldn't stand the way he would grab hold of opposition players and his shuffle was embarrassing, cultured my arse.

Very poor mans Alan Hansen.

All the best to him.

a young G lineker in the leicester team that day.

All the best to him.

And a young A Smith (boring pundit/co-commentatator type)

was there that game, could only remember David Mcreerys goal.

I've still never seen the other goal McReery scored at Spurs. Wasn't it a 30 yard screamer or something ? Seem to recall it was a great long range shot.

really cant recall it at all, is that all he scored 2?  always liked him as a player- had an horendous injury right in front of me in the paddock.

All the best to him.

Arsenal?

All the best to him.

Arsenal?

Yup.

was there that game, could only remember David Mcreerys goal.

I've still never seen the other goal McReery scored at Spurs. Wasn't it a 30 yard screamer or something ? Seem to recall it was a great long range shot.

really cant recall it at all, is that all he scored 2?  always liked him as a player- had an horendous injury right in front of me in the paddock.

THe most "audible" injury I can ever recall at SJP.