Doctors opnion required (None sex related)

Hudson

As my run of shitty luck continues. Things got worse recently when my missue suffered a stroke :(

Thing is today my instincts thought summit is wrong here.

To give a bit of history to the story.

My wife has always had problems with quinsy (septic tonsils), but last year was real bad and spend 6 weeks in hospital with infection after infection, Then the hospital decided that once everything had settled they would wip out here tonsils to stop any more cases in the future.

All in all she had 6 month on the sick with this and eventually got back to work 3 weeks before xmas.

Then she got a date for the op of the 3rd January, At the time we where told that there had been complications due to scaring from the quinsy and she had spent a total of 2hrs under and lost a lot of blood.

Again she spent 4 days in hospital and a further 6 weeks on the sick. All caused by ear infection a viral infection as well as a bacterial infection.  Eventually retruning to work on the 16th of Feb, on the first day be she got sent home early with a drouping face on one side (but no loss of arm/leg function). The doctor sent here straight to the eye hospital who informed us that it was a  Bells facial palsy, they and gave her eye drops and sent us on our way.

Anyway, after things where getting no better she was made to wait in a GP's waiting room (3 hrs) to get a sick note. A 30 minute check up later he sent her home and asked to book an appoitnment for half twelve. At the appoitment checks her over, sit us down and asks us if we would like a letter to take to the acute medical unit to get seen that day or for him to book an appointment with a neurologist !!!!!!

After another 5 hour wait, she manages to get seen for a CT Scan. Next thing we know there try to wip her onto the high dependcy stroke unit. Now my instincts are saying something to me.

Anyway she's been in hospital since Friday night waiting for a MRI Scan(Cheers Tory boy). Between now and then she has had random visits from 4 different docotrs but today when i was visiting a doctor from the Ear Nose and Throat turns up asking questions and checking her over . The he pipes up with, So you had your tonsillectomy on the 22nd of January and we correct him ( he seams very suprised by this) the his phone rings, he offer asks to take the explaining it;s his boss. We agree it's OK, off he pops and returns a few miniutes later to continue the examinating. Then his pager goes,excuses himeslf and says it his boss again.

By now i'm thinking why the hell is a unit manager so keen to stay in touch with this doctor. He then returns explains some garbage about trying to push the MRI up the list and may see her in a day or  two if so needed. He asked us if we had any questions, so i kindly pointed out that the whole thing feels like a covering arse execise with the amount of attention and insintance of louise to stay in hospital. Bearing in mind all the do is check BP every 4 hours, a few pain killers and feed her. (We know she needs to be there due to the stoke and the need to find the cause).

Away he goes to try and push the MRI explaining to us that it's best to go there and ask for the MRI to happen, a few minutes later i pop off down to the visitors toilet. Only to find him writing some notes in my wifes bed number folder, but not the one at the end of the bed as this was there. This one was  Red folder. I also manged to hear him saying on the telephone that the MRI scan was a urgent request. As i walked past him he clocked me and just gave me that look.

When i return he's gone. After visiting finishes i head home to get the boy to bed for school tomorrow. On the way home i get a message from her saying the scans happening tomorrow at 3.40pm. Only a 6 day wait

Now my Instincts are saying summits just not right, you now that feeling you get.

After doing a bit of home doctoring (silly mistake). Well googling Tonsillectomy and stoke, It came back with it being a risk of stroke due to the possabilty of a carotid dissection (the vein that feeds the brain oxygen rich blood).

BTW The wife is only 37, and has no family history of strokes. Is/was a dance teacher and very fit and active person.

My minds in over drive

Opnions/Advice welcome.

I would like to provide some advice, but feel horribly unqualified.

I guess just concentrate on getting your missus better, and then look into this stuff after shes back home. What matters is she's getting the care now, no matter what happened before.

I would like to provide some advice, but feel horribly unqualified.

I guess just concentrate on getting your missus better, and then look into this stuff after shes back home. What matters is she's getting the care now, no matter what happened before.

Yeah the missus has no idea where i'm going with this. Really don't want to stress her any more. Plus it may be me just being over protective. I've also not mentioned it to her family but plan to discuss this with the Father in Law tomorrow.

Sorry to hear this, sounds like a terrible situation to be in, you have my sympathies.  Could be worth getting everything down on paper and taking it to an independent (private?) doctor completely unconnected to the situation to get their opinion.  If there has been some malpractice along the line then anyone connected with the situation or those institutions may be inclined to lighten or cover up to some extent what has actually transpired.

I'm sure you already know this, but typing symptoms into Google is generally a terrible idea - it's always the worst possible scenarios that pop up first. My missus does this and it drives me nuts, she's self-diagnosed 3 brain tumours in the last 6 months alone..

Sounds an awful situation though - hope it all works out OK.

I'm sure you already know this, but typing symptoms into Google is generally a terrible idea - it's always the worst possible scenarios that pop up first. My missus does this and it drives me nuts, she's self-diagnosed 3 brain tumours in the last 6 months alone..

Sounds an awful situation though - hope it all works out OK.

Yeah,normally i would never google any medical condtion. It's a mine field the human body.

It was the ENT docotor that sent my instincts off

Don't Google!

However, if your mind IS in overdrive then ask the doctors straight out. Is your concern that something happened during surgery that they are covering up? As someone who works in an operating theatre all I can say is that yes, occasionally complications happen and things are sometimes dissected that shouldn't necessarily be. If/when this happens then the surgeon would immediately attend to the bleed (fix it) and it's a legal requirement that it's documented in the operation notes. The patient is informed immediately that they're able (normally once the anaesthetic wears off) and that they're kept in hospital and monitored for any adverse and subsequent ill-effects.

Complications do also happen afterwards, so it may well be that there has been a post-op bleed that no-one could predict and they need to confirm/rule it out. Don't worry about the 'writing in the red file' thing. Notes at the end of the bed are nursing notes and medical notes are kept separately in order to maintain confidentiality for each patient. Also ordering an "urgent" scan is commonplace for inpatients and it's just a turn of phrase. If a patient attends A&E with a suspected haemmorhage/stroke then they're scanned immediately (normally CT scan)

I also need to add that the carotid is the major artery supplying the head and if they had accidentally dissected it then it would have caused an immediate major haemmorrhage and there's no way they could 'cover it up' as there are many people in an operating theatre during surgery and they would all know about it.

Write your questions down and ask to speak to her consultant. Don't be afraid to voice your concerns and get some answers. And I really hope she's home soon :)

May I also offer my sincere wishes to you and your wife. It sounds as if you have been having one hell of a time of it and its totally understandable that your are having feelings of your instincts being off as you put it.

As a nurse myself the advice I would initially give is to approach the Charge Nurse or Sister of the unit your wife is on.

Often just talking to a good nurse can be that start of allaying fears and addressing concerns. You may find medics haven't the same listening skills or empathetic approach, not that i'm denegrating doctors, its just our priorities are often very different.

We have a duty of care to our patients via our Professional code of Conduct to alwayy act in the interests of patients within our care, and act as their advocates if difficulties/concerns arise.

By being honest and open with them they may be able to allay some of your concerns and also put you in touch with the hospitals patient advocacy service, which should be made available to you.

In the current climate, following the wake of the Francis report, I'm sure they will be only more than happy to help. Indeed a good nurse will always be happy to help and listen.

As Leffe said, make sure you keep an accurate timeline and records of all conversations etc.

It may be helpful if a MDT meeting was called to discuss the treatment plan etc as well, again I would use your nurse to help initiate this if it is felt appropriate.

I also agree about the net, the last thing you neded to be doing is any googling of signs, symptoms, treatments etc. Honestly this can often just heighten fears and often leads to confused advice/ messages, making things even more stressful for you.

Try talking to your wifes nurse. I hope it can be the start of the resoulution of this worrying time for you and your family.

Guest Gemmill

Have they indicated whether the effects on your wife are likely to be temporary or permanent? Sounds awful anyway, I hope she's better and home with you soon.