EU membership is costing the UK 50m a day.

Parky

Analysis of figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed the UK's gross contribution rising to £18.4 billion in 2010, or £51 million a day, the party said.

At the same time, receipts from the EU fell to £8.1 billion, meaning that Britain's net contribution increased from £6.7 billion to £10.3 billion, or £28 million a day.

Ukip based its calculations on the ONS's Pink Book, which was published today and is a summary of the UK's balance of payments accounts.

The party said the figures were more comprehensive and therefore higher than those published by the Treasury. "

Think the biggest question in our lifetimes will be wether we stay in the EU. There is so mamy conflicting figures and theories on wether we can pull out and what it will cost or the benefits I must admit I'm more and more caught inbetween. I don't like the waves of EU legislation and the complete fuck up that is the euro, but on the other hand I like most of the social legislation to do with protecting rights and employment law.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8911689/EU-costs-Britain-50m-a-day-Ukip-claims.html

Discuss.  :aww:

From 1st of Jan Romania and Bulgaria (the poorest country in the EU) will have the right to free entry into the UK. At around 2018 Turkey is expected to join.

"Picking up her daughter from Park primary school on Tuesday, Sabrina Reall was unsurprised to hear that Boston was now home to a higher proportion of eastern European immigrants than anywhere else in England and Wales. "I stand in the playground and all I hear is Polish," said the 27-year-old barmaid, who has lived in Lincolnshire her whole life. "They've got Polish teachers, too, and I've sometimes heard them talking to the kids in their language."

Like many longer-term residents of the Lincolnshire farming town, Reall was unhappy at how much it had changed since the European Union was enlarged in 2004. In 2001, the biggest foreign community in Boston comprised 249 Germans. Census figures then showed Boston as having a population of 55,753, with 98.5% indicating they were white British. Ten years on, 10.6% of the town's 64,600-strong population comes from one of the "new" EU countries such as Poland, Lithuania, Latvia or Romania."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/11/census-boston-eastern-european-immigration

" Analysis of figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) "

Second silly dig at Ukip. It's the tories who are offering a referendum and wanting to re-negotiate a new deal with the EU.

You don't see how that analysis might possibly be a little biased, given who sponsored it, perhaps?

Second silly dig at Ukip. It's the tories who are offering a referendum and wanting to re-negotiate a new deal with the EU.

You don't see how that analysis might possibly be a little biased, given who sponsored it, perhaps?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/6198708/EU-costs-Britain-118bn-a-year.html

ICM/Guardian poll 21-23 October 2011 – 70% Want a Referendum; 49% would Pull Out

70% of voters want a vote on Britain's EU membership; just 23% are against.

49% would vote to get Britain out of Europe; just 40% prefer to stay in.

There is a clear majority for staging a referendum in all social classes and regions of the UK. Men and women are similarly keen, although rather more Conservative (71%) than Labour voters (65%) are calling for a poll.

56% of Tory voters would vote to leave, against 34% who would prefer to stay in. By contrast among Labour and Liberal Democrats, there are majorities for staying in Europe, although there are also sizeable minorities among both parties' supporters – 38% and 44% respectively – who would vote to get out.

28% of the youngest voters aged 18-24 would vote to quit the EU; 63% of those aged 65 and over would do the same."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/6198708/EU-costs-Britain-118bn-a-year.html

That's going to be the exact same source! :lol:

Also

In our book The Great European Rip-Off...

Hmm, something makes me wonder if they went into this with an open mind.

Why don't you show how it's profitable to be in the EU then? Not saying that should be the main reason either. ;)

I'd also like an explanation about your claim that it shouldn't be upto the British people ie refrendum. That is as clear a case of doublethink I've seen in my entire time on  this board.  :cheesy:

I don't really understand this argument.  Why would we expect to make a profit from being in the EU?  It's quite clearly been more than about markets, such as the European Court of Human Rights, bringing unity to a continent that pretty much never experienced it, allowing for freedom of travel of EU citizens, integrating our cultures and experiencing others without the need for visas and all that pish. 

We're the big player, we've helped countries pull themselves out of poverty because of our contributions.  I have no doubt we don't make a profit, it's why that is being spun as a bad thing and the only thing that's the problem here.  I mean, what, do people honestly expect us to benefit from the union as much as say Romania and Bulgaria will over the next 5-10 years?  How is that in anyway sense?  Do Germany look like they're making a fucking profit?  France?  Hmm?  No.  Of course they fucking don't, because they, like us, are a first world nation (we're slipping on that sense mind), so our domestic spend from the EU isn't going to match or beat what we pay in. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/nov/22/eu-budget-spending-contributions-european-union

So, no, it's not profitable.  What's your point?  Why should it be.

Too many people don't have a fucking clue about the EU for there to be a referendum. Exactly why the Tories want it.

We don't have a ruling party strong or clever enough to make a sensible, long term, beneficial decision on Europe. The Tories see short term savings and easy votes from the easily led, and UKIP are just crackers.

We are going to have to ride this out until we have people in charge that can take this country to Europe and help shape how the EU is run. Sackless white shirts currently swanning about don't have a clue about anything that's not in their own back yard. Not that they particularly care, either, hence theor stance.

I don't really understand this argument.  Why would we expect to make a profit from being in the EU? 

Exactly. Spot on. Right on brother. Etc.

The cost thing is an easy argument to make, hence that's why the simpletons use it, to attract more simpletons. Desperate state of affairs when the clever and considerate people are drowned out by mass chugging of bullshit.

I don't really understand this argument.  Why would we expect to make a profit from being in the EU?  It's quite clearly been more than about markets, such as the European Court of Human Rights, bringing unity to a continent that pretty much never experienced it, allowing for freedom of travel of EU citizens, integrating our cultures and experiencing others without the need for visas and all that pish. 

We're the big player, we've helped countries pull themselves out of poverty because of our contributions.  I have no doubt we don't make a profit, it's why that is being spun as a bad thing and the only thing that's the problem here.  I mean, what, do people honestly expect us to benefit from the union as much as say Romania and Bulgaria will over the next 5-10 years?  How is that in anyway sense?  Do Germany look like they're making a fucking profit?  France?  Hmm?  No.  Of course they fucking don't, because they, like us, are a first world nation (we're slipping on that sense mind), so our domestic spend from the EU isn't going to match or beat what we pay in. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/nov/22/eu-budget-spending-contributions-european-union

So, no, it's not profitable.  What's your point?  Why should it be.

:clap:

Germany gets a pricing advantage and massive economic advantage from the euro it's the main reason they are supporting the euro. That's a profit motive.

I too like certain aspects of the EU as I said in the OP. I belive in free movement, I live in Germany. The rest of eu are suffering because they haven't been able to run their own fiscal agenda and de-value and so on to remain competitive. The rest of the EU are suffering under the blanket fiscal policy primarily dictated by Germany.

"Germany has good reason to hold the Eurozone intact. When it functioned, it benefited the country greatly. Because Germany joined the euro when the deutschmark was cheap relative to German economic fundamentals, the common currency has effectively enshrined a competitive pricing edge for German producers across the entire zone—especially compared to producers in Europe’s periphery nations, which joined the euro when their respective currencies were expensive. International Monetary Fund (IMF) data shows that these currency differences initially gave German producers a 6 percent pricing advantage over their Greek, Spanish and Irish competitors. But today, by encouraging greater industry and investment in Germany and discouraging it in the disadvantaged periphery, that advantage has actually grown. Recent IMF data put Germany’s current pricing advantage over these countries at 12, 20 and 32 percent respectively."

I too like certain aspects of the EU as I said in the OP. I belive in free movement, I live in Germany. The rest of eu are suffering because they haven't been able to run their own fiscal agenda and de-value and so on to remain competitive. The rest of the EU are suffering under the blanket fiscal policy primarily dictated by Germany.

:thup:

This is a current problem, I agree.  I think the treatment of Greece and to a lesser extent Italy, has been nothing short of usurpation.  Germany and France played their parts more than most in allowing those two in to the euro without making sure they met the criteria, so it's their mess to pay for and not dictate about.