Abscess Removal

Skirge

Anyone had an abscess removed before ? How long did it take to heal ?

I had what I thought was a trapped hair in my groin on Thursday 7th, was sore as fuck but by Saturday it was huge all infected hard lump under it lumps surrounding it so went to walk in centre was given antibiotics.

Agony all weekend so went to Doctors on Monday he sent me to the abscess clinic on Tuesday morning "you will get a local and then it lanced"  aye okay, went in Tuesday for general anaesthetic knocked clean out and the removed it leaving me with a huge hole.

So since last Tuesday I have had a district nurse in every morning to change the dressing, now as its a hole a good 2cm deep it has to be packed out with wadding so it can heal from the inside out and not just heal over the top.

OMG the fkn pain when the wound is stuffed even on painkillers, I can't take many more fucking days of this.

I had pretty much the same thing.  I have to say that the pain afterwards was far less than the pain before the operation (which was awful).  Think it took about 4 weeks to heal over completely from the operation.  The first week wasn't great, but by the end of that it was ok.  Was playing cricket by the end of the third week.

Cool cheers.. agree the pain beforehand was immense and constant and the only pain I get now is when the wound is being waded out, mind its so fkn deep there is a canny amount of wadding going in.

Yeah - the sensation of having the stuff put in is very strange.  Although if you have a decent nurse doing it, it shouldn't be too bad and will definitely get better.  It's amazing actually how quickly the wound heals from the bottom up.

These things can be very painful, especially the pilonidal sinuses nearer the rectum or scrotum.

Take some analgesia at least half an hour before your expected visit. Your DN team should be able to offer you a phone call prior to your scheduled visit to help with this.

Try and relax, i know it won't be easy, these small sinus wounds can be very tender at first, it will improve though...honest.

Your dressing regim will change too, once the exudate is better controlled and the wound starts healing, so it won't be daily dressings for too long.....hopefully.

Keep yourself well hydrated, eat a varied diet. Plenty protein and fruit n veg: honestly does help with the wound healing process.

Have you discussed you showering before the DNs visit as well? Often thats what we do, get our patients to shower prior to us visiting. Again it helps with your preparation and keeping a high level of hygiene is obviously very important.

There is no time span thats universal. Iv'e had some sinuses drag on for months (mainly due to infection or poor initial clearance at op). The majority are a few short weeks though.

If you are normally fit and generally well you should be fine. If your finding sitting uncomfortable a temporary cushion to help relieve pressure could be provided.

Keep ya pecker up!

Cheers for that info mate... I have had a different nurse nearly every time but always the same time of day. Have to say today has been the best day by far pain wise, no painkillers apart fro this morning for the dressing change

Glad to hear your on the upward curve :)

Can be painful bloody things...childbirth...jeeesh a breeze!

Cheers.. was not as painful as bursting two stitches and them being cauterized after a circumcision

Same thing happened to me after the snip...burst stitches and infection. Remember GP, who I knew via work and the then missus bursting out laughing as he examined me.

Offer of op or conservative dressing and painkillers...took the latter. NO way was I being butchered again. Felt like they used a spoon...

Fecking agony for a couple of weeks. Oozing green pus and baws the size of grapefruit!

Felt feint halfway through the OP.

"Packed with wadding" is not something I want to happen to my body.

Come and work with me one day. I'm in theatre when they lance them and sometimes the pus hits the operating lamp ;)

Oh and the smell is indescribably bad :lol:

Come and work with me one day. I'm in theatre when they lance them and sometimes the pus hits the operating lamp ;)

Right, time for some cathedral city on toast.

It's the stage IV ulcers/pressure sores that freak most people out. I've had ones I could put my fist in. Poor bastards.

Ah man, you have my sympathy.  I had the exact same thing when I was a kid but in the crack of my arse.  As you say the wadding is the most painful thing ever.  I seem to remember I had about 2 weeks of the wadding then it took another 3 weeks or so to completely heal up.  I had a couple of recurrences (nowhere near as bad), but haven't had anything for a good 10 years - every time I get any kind of pain in the general region it worries me though.