Renting in Newcastle

TRC

I'm looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom place in Newcastle or Gateshead, despite living in the area most of my life, my knowledge of Newcastle is pretty awful. I'm looking for a furnished place for maybe a year or two. Basically don't want to live in a shithole, I want somewhere cheap and close to public transport as wor lass will be looking to do supply teaching and refuses to drive on the left side of the road.

I've looked online but seems to get random prices and is very area dependant. It seems every place advertised is in Bensham, a place I know nothing about.

On that sort of budget, there's infinitely nicer places than Bensham. You can get a perfectly nice place in Jesmond/Heaton/Sandyford/Ouseburn for that sort of wedge. There's literally thousands on Rightmove.

On that sort of budget, there's infinitely nicer places than Bensham. You can get a perfectly nice place in Jesmond/Heaton/Sandyford/Ouseburn for that sort of wedge. There's literally thousands on Rightmove.

this.

I'm looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom place in Newcastle or Gateshead, despite living in the area most of my life, my knowledge of Newcastle is pretty awful. I'm looking for a furnished place for maybe a year or two. Basically don't want to live in a shithole, I want somewhere cheap and close to public transport as wor lass will be looking to do supply teaching and refuses to drive on the left side of the road.

I've looked online but seems to get random prices and is very area dependant. It seems every place advertised is in Bensham, a place I know nothing about.

Canny nice up our way near NUFCs training ground. Excellent public transport.

• 5 months later...

Ok so I will be moving next month, I'm just wondering how much council tax is for a 1 bedroom place? Also I need to budget for Electricity, Gas and water any estimations on how much that would be per month?

I've found a lot of places in Spital Tongue, I've never heard of this place? Also found a really nice place in Elswick, is that a nice area? My knowledge of the toon is shocking considering I spent 23 years of my life there.

• 3 months later...

Hi all. sorry to bump this old thread.

My GF is about to start her Graduate Program in Northumbria Uni on government scholarship.

It will be her first to Europe, so we need lot of informations, hope you can help us.

She will arrive at Newcastle in Mid January.

1. Where is the best place to live near Northumbria Uni ?

She only got 800 Pounds/month from the scholarship to cover living cost, so budgets are limited.

We must also consider transportation costs due to budgets.

Though she may have additionals here and there, but that won't be too much.

2. How is the weather in Mid January, will it be snowing, how is the temperature?

We never had winters here, so she may need to prepare on this.

3. Do you think 800 Pounds/month enough to cover minimum living costs ?

4. Any other advice are welcome.

Thanks in advanced for your advice/response

We really need them

We may ask other questions later, hope u don't mind.  :)

Guest firetotheworks

1. There are places in the city centre. Failing that, Jesmond or Heaton.

2. It'll definitely be cold. It might snow, it might not. If it does travel will be harder.

3. 800 is way way higher than what she'd need. If she's sharing, rent will be anything from 250-450 a month for a nice place. I live in a really nice 3 bedroom house on st Thomas Crescent in the middle of town and the TOTAL rent is 800 a month. So that's around 267 each.

1. There are places in the city centre. Failing that, Jesmond or Heaton.

2. It'll definitely be cold. It might snow, it might not. If it does travel will be harder.

3. 800 is way way higher than what she'd need. If she's sharing, rent will be anything from 250-450 a month for a nice place. I live in a really nice 3 bedroom house on st Thomas Crescent in the middle of town and the TOTAL rent is 800 a month. So that's around 267 each.

Thanks KI, that helps a lot.

What about the weather, I know it's cold but how cold (in celcius) ?

Here in our country, we never experienced below 15 Celcius (or even 20 in the cities).

This week it's been around 4 degrees generally. It'll probably get below freezing at some point this winter, in fact I'm sure it will but it doesn't get as cold as somewhere like Norway. Probably around -5 is the coldest it'll get in town.

This week it's been around 4 degrees generally. It'll probably get below freezing at some point this winter, in fact I'm sure it will but it doesn't get as cold as somewhere like Norway. Probably around -5 is the coldest it'll get in town.

Norway isn't that cold as the Gulf Stream warms the coast. Still colder than Newcastle. Pointless post tbh.