Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Depending on fitness, I'd go:

Krul

Simpson Taylor Yanga-Mbiwa Haidara

Tiote Cabaye

Marveaux Sissoko Santon

Cisse

You would rather have Simpson in the XI than Jonas? Fuck me.

In defence, I certainly would.

Agree, but how about Santon in defense and Jonas in midfield?

Jonas with his one goal from midfield all season or Santon with his one goal from midfield in 30 mins playing there?

I'd much rather have a left side of Haidara and Santon than Jonas plus a.n.other.

For whatever reason, we've been extremely solid at the back in Europe. Four clean sheets on the bounce is pretty impressive considering the opponents we've faced (who, granted - weren't on the same level as I'd expect Benfica to be).

Basically, I can't seem them tonking us in the same way City did today.

2-0 defeat I think, which would be extremely difficult to progress from - but still possible. Anything worse than that and I can't see any way through.

2-1 would be a cracking result given our away form and the opposition.

Game just ended. 6-1. Now Newcastle.

European games have a different aura for everyone, I wouldn't be too pessimistic before the kick-off. We are slightly favorites but that's pretty much it.

More importantly, I hope some of you enjoy your visit to Portugal.

Probably favourites but in a pony league.

Portuguese league is nowhere near Premier League. It would be comparable to the Championship, I would guess, without Benfica, Porto, Sporting and Braga. Despite that we're having consistent results since the new manager arrived. Still far from the "great Benfica" of the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s, but we're improving. Both domestically and in Europe.

UEFA Team Ranking,

http://www.abload.de/img/aai7jpb.jpg

As I said, I expect a tight game. Even with your injured players. Don't know how many will be available in the 1st leg. I guess nobody knows yet.

Guest aimar10

Benfica fan here...

i understand you guys have several key players who won't be able to play against Benfica, so how do you think your team is going to approach the game?

i'm not 100% certain but it's very very likely we won't play our usual team, we are focused on winning the championship and we have some players with muscular problems, so i would expect us not to be as strong.

Benfica fan here...

i understand you guys have several key players who won't be able to play against Benfica, so how do you think your team is going to approach the game?

i'm not 100% certain but it's very very likely we won't play our usual team, we are focused on winning the championship and we have some players with muscular problems, so i would expect us not to be as strong.

We'll defend all game and look to nick an away goal.

Guest aimar10

i believe Newcastle has a bigger chance of getting a good score than you think. not just because we may not play some of our best players, but also because you have a very strong midfield, if you can block us there we'll be in much trouble, we must also be very alert to your counter-attacks. i see you that's one of your biggest strengths, you have very fast players.

i think it's going to be a very pleasing offensive game

Benfica fan here...

Felt like crying when I read this. We are so predictable...

Guest aimar10

Benfica fan here...

your coach seems pretty confident though

Benfica fan here...

He's an idiot though.

i believe Newcastle has a bigger chance of getting a good score than you think. not just because we may not play some of our best players, but also because you have a very strong midfield, if you can block us there we'll be in much trouble, we must also be very alert to your counter-attacks. i see you that's one of your biggest strengths, you have very fast players.

:thup:

I hope so, but don't hold your breath.

Think we'll sit back for the first half as per City, and eventually surrender a goal due to the gulf in class and desire. We'll come out firing belatedly after the break as always, hopefully we can nick the away goal there. Then we'll sit back and concede towards the end.

I think you'll be very disappointed if you're expecting a good game.

We'll be awful, play awful football and hope for a nil-nil. If we're lucky, we may turn in a rank average performance.

Benfica fan here...

He's an idiot though.

:lol:

Guest aimar10

Benfica fan here...

He's an idiot though.

;D

i must admit i don't have that much knowledge about your teams dynamics, but i'm well aware you have great individual quality, which can maybe surprise both of us

What lineup do you think we'll see from your lot?

Benfica fan here...

He's an idiot though.

;D

i must admit i don't have that much knowledge about your teams dynamics, but i'm well aware you have great individual quality, which can maybe surprise both of us

Well you are in luck, neither does our manager  O0

Benfica fan here...

He's an idiot though.

:lol:

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs.......then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation

Think we'll sit back for the first half as per City, and eventually surrender a goal due to the gulf in class and desire. We'll come out firing belatedly after the break as always, hopefully we can nick the away goal there. Then we'll sit back and concede towards the end.

Gulf in class? Christ almighty, get some perspective.

Benfica are a huge club.

If you live in Portugal you would understand, they are an institution, a leviathan.

However, the Portuguese league is shite, believe me I've been watching it all season. Apart from possibly Barca away Benfica have not been pulling up any trees this season in Europe, I've been to all their European home games.

We have nothing to be afraid of, they have to come at us at their place, the fans demand it, and we can get a result.

They are no great shakes, trust me.

Guest aimar10

What lineup do you think we'll see from your lot?

well i've doubts regarding the availability of some of our players, but maybe something like...

Artur

André Almeida    Luisão    Garay    Melgarejo

Matic

Enzo

Gaitán                Martins                  Ola John

Cardozo 

Melgarejo, Enzo and Cardozo have been having some muscular problems so there's a chance they'll be replaced. usually we would have Gaitán playing behind Cardozo and Salvio on the right, but he was injured during last night's game, and we still don't know how severe it is. also there's a slight chance we play some of our youth players, like Roderick or André Gomes, it's not very likely but because our main goal is the championship and we have a though game on sunday, there's a chance our coach will make some surprise changes.