Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Guest aimar10

Benfica fan here...

i understand you guys have several key players who won't be able to play against Benfica, so how do you think your team is going to approach the game?

i'm not 100% certain but it's very very likely we won't play our usual team, we are focused on winning the championship and we have some players with muscular problems, so i would expect us not to be as strong.

We'll defend all game and look to nick an away goal.

Felt like crying when I read this. We are so predictable...

your coach seems pretty confident though

He's an idiot though.

;D

i must admit i don't have that much knowledge about your teams dynamics, but i'm well aware you have great individual quality, which can maybe surprise both of us

Well you are in luck, neither does our manager  O0

you guys really don't like him ;D is he that awful? Newcastle has great players, can't he turn them into a good team?

Think we'll sit back for the first half as per City, and eventually surrender a goal due to the gulf in class and desire. We'll come out firing belatedly after the break as always, hopefully we can nick the away goal there. Then we'll sit back and concede towards the end.

Gulf in class? Christ almighty, get some perspective.

Benfica are a huge club.

If you live in Portugal you would understand, they are an institution, a leviathan.

However, the Portuguese league is s****, believe me I've been watching it all season. Apart from possibly Barca away Benfica have not been pulling up any trees this season in Europe, I've been to all their European home games.

We have nothing to be afraid of, they have to come at us at their place, the fans demand it, and we can get a result.

They are no great shakes, trust me.

Very well, I'm no expert on Portugese football and interpreting their real strength. All the more exaggerated given how s*** our last game was.

i believe Newcastle has a bigger chance of getting a good score than you think. not just because we may not play some of our best players, but also because you have a very strong midfield, if you can block us there we'll be in much trouble, we must also be very alert to your counter-attacks. i see you that's one of your biggest strengths, you have very fast players.

i think it's going to be a very pleasing offensive game

What lineup do you think we'll see from your lot?

well i've doubts regarding the availability of some of our players, but maybe something like...

Artur

André Almeida    Luisão    Garay    Melgarejo

Matic

Enzo

Gaitán                Martins                  Ola John

Cardozo 

Melgarejo, Enzo and Cardozo have been having some muscular problems so there's a chance they'll be replaced. usually we would have Gaitán playing behind Cardozo and Salvio on the right, but he was injured during last night's game, and we still don't know how severe it is. also there's a slight chance we play some of our youth players, like Roderick or André Gomes, it's not very likely but because our main goal is the championship and we have a though game on sunday, there's a chance our coach will make some surprise changes.

:thup: Still looks a strong side.

Think we'll sit back for the first half as per City, and eventually surrender a goal due to the gulf in class and desire. We'll come out firing belatedly after the break as always, hopefully we can nick the away goal there. Then we'll sit back and concede towards the end.

Gulf in class? Christ almighty, get some perspective.

Benfica are a huge club.

If you live in Portugal you would understand, they are an institution, a leviathan.

However, the Portuguese league is s****, believe me I've been watching it all season. Apart from possibly Barca away Benfica have not been pulling up any trees this season in Europe, I've been to all their European home games.

We have nothing to be afraid of, they have to come at us at their place, the fans demand it, and we can get a result.

They are no great shakes, trust me.

Very well, I'm no expert on Portugese football and interpreting their real strength. All the more exaggerated given how s*** our last game was.

If we can maintain our recent European solidity and perhaps add a smidgeon of attacking invention (yes I'm aware Alan Pardew is our manager) we can get a result.

Guest aimar10

i believe Newcastle has a bigger chance of getting a good score than you think. not just because we may not play some of our best players, but also because you have a very strong midfield, if you can block us there we'll be in much trouble, we must also be very alert to your counter-attacks. i see you that's one of your biggest strengths, you have very fast players.

i think it's going to be a very pleasing offensive game

What lineup do you think we'll see from your lot?

well i've doubts regarding the availability of some of our players, but maybe something like...

Artur

André Almeida    Luisão    Garay    Melgarejo

Matic

Enzo

Gaitán                Martins                  Ola John

Cardozo 

Melgarejo, Enzo and Cardozo have been having some muscular problems so there's a chance they'll be replaced. usually we would have Gaitán playing behind Cardozo and Salvio on the right, but he was injured during last night's game, and we still don't know how severe it is. also there's a slight chance we play some of our youth players, like Roderick or André Gomes, it's not very likely but because our main goal is the championship and we have a though game on sunday, there's a chance our coach will make some surprise changes.

:thup: Still looks a strong side.

it's not that bad.

yesterday our coach said that at this point he will play who's in better physical shape, which means that if any of our players isn't 100% they won't play, so the lineup i wrote may suffer some changes.

quite frankly, and with all due respect to Newcastle, i would hope our coach would put on a really strong side and try to resolve the round on this 1st leg, but we have a very though game on sunday against a team we never win, and we really can't lose any points

Guest Benfica_1904

Sorry guys but what Pardew said is completely stupid... For example, our coach said that it will be a 50% tie ( which i don't agree... Benfica is in superiror level). Thats a signal that he respect your team.

Your coach: " We are happy to find Benfica, it was a good draw" and yesterday: " Benfica will have difficulties"...

Well, my experience in football tell me that he would make better, be silent.

I think its better him to see our last game yesterday:

6-1  :whistle:

Sorry guys but what Pardew said is completely stupid... For example, our coach said that it will be a 50% tie ( which i don't agree... Benfica is in superiror level). Thats a signal that he respect your team.

Your coach: " We are happy to find Benfica, it was a good draw" and yesterday: " Benfica will have difficulties"...

Maybe it's lost in translation but I don't see too much disrespectful there :lol: he's not going to say "fuck, we got Benfica!?" "They're are going to shit all over us tbh :(".

He hasn't slagged you off, just bigged ourselves up a bit.

Me and my mates from work could knock up a team and beat Rio Ave, be serious.

Pardew is right, we can cause Benfica all sorts of problems, whether we will or not is another matter.

I'm sure he was not disrespecting Benfica, he's not clever enough to do "mind games".

Also don't think Pardew was disrespecting Benfica, I think he's pleased to be playing such a historic club more than anything. Not another in the mold of Metalist or Anzhi.

Pardew is right, we can cause Benfica all sorts of problems, whether we will or not is another matter.

I'm sure he was not disrespecting Benfica, he's not clever enough to do "mind games".

I don't care about what managers say, but regarding Rio Ave.

Sporting 0-1 Rio Ave

Rio Ave 2-2 FC Porto

Rio Ave 3-0 Sporting

Rio Ave 2-1 Sporting

Rio Ave 1-1 SC Braga

This season they drawn against Braga and Porto, beaten Sporting 3 times. Far for crap.

Guest Benfica_1904

Rio Ave can be not a good team, but our historial in Europe League this year says something..

B.Leverkusen 0-1 Benfica

Benfica 2-1 B. Leverkusen

Benfica 1-0 Bordeaux

Bordeaux 2-3 Benfica

If i was magpies coach i wouldn't have been say that...

Sporting 0-1 Rio Ave

Rio Ave 2-2 FC Porto

Rio Ave 3-0 Sporting

Rio Ave 2-1 Sporting

Rio Ave 1-1 SC Braga

This season they drawn against Braga and Porto, beaten Sporting 3 times. Far for crap.

Aren't Sporting shite though?  ;)

Guest Benfica_1904

Sporting 0-1 Rio Ave

Rio Ave 2-2 FC Porto

Rio Ave 3-0 Sporting

Rio Ave 2-1 Sporting

Rio Ave 1-1 SC Braga

Aren't Sporting s**** though?  ;)

yes  ;D

But now they have a new president that says he has much money to invest  :iamatwat:

Sporting 0-1 Rio Ave

Rio Ave 2-2 FC Porto

Rio Ave 3-0 Sporting

Rio Ave 2-1 Sporting

Rio Ave 1-1 SC Braga

Mate they are shite, I was at the Sporting Rio Ave game, Sporting are shite too.

I was also at the Benfica Bayer and Bordeaux home games, it wasn't vintage stuff from Benfica and both Bayer and Bordeaux were poor. if we actually turn up you will get a shock.

Sporting 0-1 Rio Ave

Rio Ave 2-2 FC Porto

Rio Ave 3-0 Sporting

Rio Ave 2-1 Sporting

Rio Ave 1-1 SC Braga

Aren't Sporting s**** though?  ;)

Yea, it's more because of Braga and Porto. Glad to see everyone knows Sporting is shit :razz:

Portuguese teams have shitty players (compared to the average Premier League squad) but fortunately we have good managers / coaches. Otherwise we couldn't compete with any of you.

Still a team with Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Sissoko, etc would play for 3rd every year in our league and potential winner every now and then (more potential winner than Sporting anyway). Different realities.

Guest Benfica_1904

Howay man, stop acting like a mackem. We don't need a list of your results to know you're a decent side.

But i know that you know that. Im refering to your coach..

what really he gained with this ? I mean.. i think it was desnecessary, just that...  :)

Mate they are s****, I was at the Sporting Rio Ave game, Sporting are s**** too.

I was also at the Benfica Bayer and Bordeaux home games, it wasn't vintage stuff from Benfica and both Bayer and Bordeaux were poor. if we actually turn up you will get a shock.

Bayer? Bordeaux yes, definitely very limited, but Bayer not really. They're currently 3rd in Bundesliga, close to Dortmund and ahead of Schalke. I would say they are the 2nd/3rd best team we played so far this season. Barcelona / Bayer or Porto.

But all of this is futurology. :tongue: I hope Newcastle comes to Lisbon inspired and provides a good match. I'm certain you have talent enough to compete at this stage of Europa League.

Mate they are s****, I was at the Sporting Rio Ave game, Sporting are s**** too.

Bayer? Bordeaux yes, definitely very limited, but Bayer not really. They're currently 3rd in Bundesliga, close to Dortmund and ahead of Schalke. I would say they are the 2nd/3rd best team we played so far this season. Barcelona / Bayer or Porto.

But all of this is futurology. :tongue: I hope Newcastle comes to Lisbon inspired and provides a good match. I'm certain you have talent enough to compete at this stage of Europa League.

Well said Sir.

Howay man, stop acting like a mackem. We don't need a list of your results to know you're a decent side.

But i know that you know that. Im refering to your coach..

what really he gained with this ? I mean.. i think it was desnecessary, just that...  :)

You seem a little sensitive :D

At the end of the day neither of us are the best teams left in the draw (if you believe you are I apologise for offending you) so in that respect it is a good draw, also as Rich said it's a good draw because we want to play quality teams with a lot of history behind them which you are.

If anything the "Benfica will have difficulties" comment is showing a lot of respect because he is acknowledging you are a class side but it's not going to be easy for you.

Portugal must be the most gentlemanly league in the word if you thought those comments were unnecessary :lol: