Kerzhakov - Newcastle have had £1.7 million bid rejected

stozo

Newcastle United have lodged a 2.5 million euro (£1.7 million) bid with Zenit St. Petersburg for striker Alexander Kerzhakov, according to a spokesman from the Russian club.

The Magpies face competition from several other clubs around Europe, including Sevilla, though the UEFA Cup holders' offer has already been labelled “unacceptable.”

“Newcastle have offered 2.5 million euros and a couple of French clubs have tabled similar offers,” Zenit spokesman Alexei Petrov told Spanish news agency Efe.

But Petrov insisted that Glenn Roeder's side would need to increase their offer to get their man, commenting:

“The club is not prepared to sell a player of the quality of Kerzhakov for 2,5 million euros. The negotiations are not closed, but we won't sell Kerzhakov for four roubles.”

The Magpies have seen their front line decimated by injuries this season, and have scored a mere nine goals in their 13 Premiership games so far.

Kerzhakov is thought to be keen for a move, and has already stated his desire for a move to Sevilla after hearing of the Spanish club's interest.

“My contract with Zenit ends next December, and if Sevilla's offer still stands, then I'll take it. In my free time I'm already studying Spanish.”

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premiership/2006-2007/sport_sto1025969.shtml

Newcastle United have lodged a 2.5 million euro (£1.7 million) bid with Zenit St. Petersburg for striker Alexander Kerzhakov, according to a spokesman from the Russian club.

The Magpies face competition from several other clubs around Europe, including Sevilla, though the UEFA Cup holders' offer has already been labelled “unacceptable.”

“Newcastle have offered 2.5 million euros and a couple of French clubs have tabled similar offers,” Zenit spokesman Alexei Petrov told Spanish news agency Efe.

But Petrov insisted that Glenn Roeder's side would need to increase their offer to get their man, commenting:

“The club is not prepared to sell a player of the quality of Kerzhakov for 2,5 million euros. The negotiations are not closed, but we won't sell Kerzhakov for four roubles.”

The Magpies have seen their front line decimated by injuries this season, and have scored a mere nine goals in their 13 Premiership games so far.

Kerzhakov is thought to be keen for a move, and has already stated his desire for a move to Sevilla after hearing of the Spanish club's interest.

“My contract with Zenit ends next December, and if Sevilla's offer still stands, then I'll take it. In my free time I'm already studying Spanish.”

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premiership/2006-2007/sport_sto1025969.shtml

Very interesting. If we can get him for around £3m I'd be delighted. Sounds like the lad will take some pursuading though.

At least we are bidding for players before the transfer window opens for once.

What do you mean, "for once"?

Last winter we got nobody in, but then again I don't think Souness had any intention or money to do so, and the winter before that, didn't we have Boumsong & Babayaro signed by Jan 2nd?

Last winter we got nobody in, but then again I don't think Souness had any intention or money to do so, and the winter before that, didn't we have Boumsong & Babayaro signed by Jan 2nd?

Ah, I had this stretched memory of them being last minute signings but you are right.

At least we are bidding for players before the transfer window opens.

Ah, I had this stretched memory of them being last minute signings but you are right.

O Nut 3-0 Taylor27 ;)

O Nut 3-0 Taylor27 ;)

4-0 actually.

(That makes it 4-1)

Load of bollocks to be honest.

Boumsong was meant to be Woody's replacement, so the bid for him was a transfer window too late.

Point taken back for t27

Not the player we need.

Here's a fuking novel idea, why not try and sign someone above 3 fuking foot for a fuking change.

lets hope fuking roeder fuking does...:D

bluebiggrin.gif

Doubt it, GR is too scared to sign anyone taller than him.

You can just see him jumping round corners getting to his car after work, avoiding bigger players who he's left out of the side.