Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Our game-plan in the 2nd leg was the worst approach I've seen from a manager of NUFC. Pardew The Coward summed up.

Destroy the game for 65 minutes, then go for it. Bigirimana RM.

(Could've worked if Hatem had scored just before they won it though, still s*** mentality mind)

It was a decent game plan against a superior side. We were very, very unlucky over the course of the tie. Pardew's had some terrible games but that wasn't one of them.

Our game-plan in the 2nd leg was the worst approach I've seen from a manager of NUFC. Pardew The Coward summed up.

Destroy the game for 65 minutes, then go for it. Bigirimana RM.

(Could've worked if Hatem had scored just before they won it though, still s*** mentality mind)

It was a decent game plan against a superior side. We were very, very unlucky over the course of the tie. Pardew's had some terrible games but that wasn't one of them.

It was the only way we were going to win that tie, still believe that.

I agree with that, had to keep it tight as an away goal kills the tie stone dead. Hate Pardew but he had no choice but to do what we did for that particular fixture.

I agree with that, had to keep it tight as an away goal kills the tie stone dead. Hate Pardew but he had no choice but to do what we did for that particular fixture.

Don't agree whatsoever, letting a team that is up 2 goals already in the tie control possession and sit safe is a terrible decision. I understand being cautious, but there are plenty of ways to be cautious. It was cowardly managed by him, and like people say one of the big reasons we went out. He basically let us rely on chance/luck and that is why he'll never be a good manager/tactician.

Don't agree whatsoever, letting a team that is up 2 goals already in the tie control possession and sit safe is a terrible decision. I understand being cautious, but there are plenty of ways to be cautious. It was cowardly managed by him, and like people say one of the big reasons we went out. He basically let us rely on chance/luck and that is why he'll never be a good manager/tactician.

Fair enough. :thup:

They were a better team than us, if we'd went for it, they'd have upped their game and picked us off. The way we set up meant we were still in with a chance upto the 89th minute. If we'd attacked, I reckon they'd have scored long before they did, and not with a sucker punch when we were going for the winner.

On the other hand if we scored early we could have taken advantage of them trying to kill the tie off. They clearly struggled against us in the first leg when they pushed forwards too much.

We're talking about Pardew here. If we'd scored early, he'd have tried sitting on that until the last 20 minutes anyway. Difference being, Benfica would have been conscious that they needed to score again to see us off and would have went more for it and seen us off.

Didnt Cisse hit the post twice in that game, had we took our chances in that first leg we may have progressed.

Well that and the errors from Taylor and Santon.

Thought we played very very well in the first leg was unlucky to not at least come away from something but said errors cost us.

2nd leg was meh in terms of the actual performance but i can see why Pardew did what he did.

Didnt Cisse hit the post twice in that game, had we took our chances in that first leg we may have progressed.

Well that and the errors from Taylor and Santon.

Thought we played very very well in the first leg was unlucky to not at least come away from something but said errors cost us.

2nd leg was meh in terms of the actual performance but i can see why Pardew did what he did.

Yep.